Difference 5 2.6GHZ processor and i7 1.6 Ghz?

Asalaam o Alaikum,

What is the difference between i5 2.6GHZ processor and i7 1.6 Ghz?

Who is more faster if compared?

Assuming both are quad core and the only benefit of the i7 is hyperthreading. Then the i5 2.6 will be faster.

[quote=“executionist, post:2, topic:20914”]

Assuming both are quad core and the only benefit of the i7 is hyperthreading. Then the i5 2.6 will be faster.

[/quote]

i5 has 2 cores while i7 have quad so ?

how hyper threading benefit?

This is the i5 you're mentioning:

http://ark.intel.com/products/50072/Intel-Core-i5-2540M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

It's a 2nd gen i5 Sandy-Bridge laptop processor (2 cores, 4 threads)

And this is the i7 you've mentioned:

http://ark.intel.com/products/43122/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-1_60-GHz

This one is a 1st gen i7 Nehalem laptop processor (4 cores, 8 threads)

-----

Now personally, I would straight up tell you to go for the QC i7 as IMO it is way superior to that DC i5, especially for work purposes. The i5 is barely a buffed up Core 2 duo, while the i7 is a proper quad core low-speed runner.

Now, don't go expecting high-class performance from either of these CPUs as they both have their weaknesses. But you'll at least get a satisfying multitasking performance with the i7 one. If you're interested solely on gaming though, then perhaps the i5 is more suitable for you as it has a faster clock rate and the average game doesn't utilize more than 2 cores (although that'll change now due to the arrival of NG consoles).

Hope i helped.

thanks i m comparing these 2

i5 4200m vs i7 4700MQ

[quote="zainabali, post:, topic:"]

Asalaam o Alaikum,

What is the difference between i5 2.6GHZ processor and i7 1.6 Ghz?

Who is more faster if compared?

[/quote]
[quote="zainabali, post:5, topic:20914"]

thanks i m comparing these 2

i5 4200m vs i7 4700MQ

[/quote]
i5-4200M = 2.5 GHz (upto 3.10 with turbo)
i7-4700mQ = 2.4 Ghz (upto 3.40 with turbo)
Those CPUs don't match the clock speed you mentioned in your initial post...
Whatever, my suggestion applies to these CPUs too as they're also dual and quad core. Infact in this case, going for the i5 over i7 would be retarded as they're the same gen and have almost same clock speeds...

[quote=“Upsilon, post:6, topic:20914”]

i5-4200M = 2.5 GHz (upto 3.10 with turbo)
i7-4700mQ = 2.4 Ghz (upto 3.40 with turbo)
Those CPUs don't match the clock speed you mentioned in your initial post...
Whatever, my suggestion applies to these CPUs too as they're also dual and quad core. Infact in this case, going for the i5 over i7 would be retarded as they're the same gen and have almost same clock speeds...

[/quote]

thanks.

what i get is always look for clock speed when compare 2 pc.

and this i5 processor is better than the i7 processor?

BTW what's hyper threading

^ No. Look for clock speed when 2 CPUs have the same number of cores and gen. If one has less cores than the other than comparison gets trickier depending on the differences.

That i7 is better than that i5...

As for HT:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Hyper-Threading Technology is a form of simultaneous multithreading technology introduced by Intel. Architecturally, a processor with Hyper-Threading Technology consists of two logical processors per core, each of which has its own processor architectural state. Each logical processor can be individually halted, interrupted or directed to execute a specified thread, independently from the other logical processor on the chip. Unlike a traditional dual core processor configuration that uses two separate physical processors, the logical processors in a Hyper-Threaded core share the execution resources. These resources include the execution engine, the caches, the system-bus interface and the firmware. These shared resources allow the two logical processors to work with each other more efficiently, and lets one borrow resources from the other when one is stalled. A processor stalls when it is waiting for data it has sent for so it can finish processing the present thread. The degree of benefit seen when using a hyper-threaded or multi core processor depends on the needs of the software, and how well it and the operating system are written to manage the processor efficiently. -wiki

[/quote]

Or to put simply, it improves performance on certain type of applications.

do u want to say always look for cache ?

[quote="Upsilon, post:8, topic:20914"]

^ No. Look for clock speed when 2 CPUs have the same number of cores and gen. If one has less cores than the other than comparison gets trickier depending on the differences.

That i7 is better than that i5...

As for HT:

Or to put simply, it improves performance on certain type of applications.

[/quote]