Dial-up anyone?

Ok, so this might sound redundant amongst all the fast-paced tech heads over here, but I was just wondering: how many of you still use dial-up internet, or even keep it as a 'back-up' for the days when the DSL modem just won't stop fluctuating?

My question comes from having encountered dial-up in the house of a relative while staying over there, and the fact that my cousins kept ordering WOL internet hours over their mobilink connections by sending sms to the number 965. Now, my initial reaction was of scorn, but I ended up begging them to get me an hour or two in the middle of the night just so I could check my email.

So, the question is...beyond the metropolitan areas and smaller cities where DSL has not yet taken up, is dial-up the savior of the masses??

Talking about smaller cities, majority of people are not even familiar with any other sort of internet connection than dialup or even slower so called cable connections over LAN. They are happy with the speed they get, and they don't like the idea of giving 500-700 more per month for DSL.

^ i use dial up frequently as backup coz wateen goes down alot and other times when its up the sites that are important do not open

I use dialup as primary, secondary and backup.

In short, I don't have broadband.

I use dialup when switching between different ISPs (I do it often)

you need a lot of patience with dial up especially if you have experienced speeds like 3.0 MB/s

i am on dial-up..but it doesnt mean I love it!!!:|

While seconding Shaheerk

In my case dialup is also as primary, secondary and backup.

As in Jhelum affordable + unlimited is only dialup.

Well waiting for PTCL broadband but with all your posts I think dialup will have to be taken as a backup with PTCL Broadband.

In my case dialup is just like an arranged marriage which has to be carry on until unless a secure alternate is not available.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

While seconding Shaheerk

Well waiting for PTCL broadband but with all your posts I think dialup will have to be taken as a backup with PTCL Broadband.

In my case dialup is just like an arranged marriage which has to be carry on until unless a secure alternate is not available.

[/quote]

don’t say that… a lot of time arranged marriage turns out to be a great marriage… :D (speaking strictly from Pakistani point of view)… anyway coming to dialup…i use dialup too. but it worldcall dialup…so its dialup without wires…:)

Ok, so this might sound redundant amongst all the fast-paced tech heads over here, but I was just wondering: how many of you still use dial-up internet, or even keep it as a ‘back-up’ for the days when the DSL modem just won’t stop fluctuating?
[/quote]

On the contrary, you may have noticed that this forum loads faster than other forums on the Internet? That is because it uses a light weight minimalistic forum software called punbb that is ideal for countries like Pakistan where the vast majority of users are on slow dial up. So dial up Internet is actually a very relevant topic on this forum.

I use wc 128kbps connection which is not broadband and only 2x faster than dial up. Also given Worldcall’s poor reliability I often have to use PTCL dial up too.

don’t say that… a lot of time arranged marriage turns out to be a great marriage… :D (speaking strictly from Pakistani point of view)…

[/quote]

well bro I think some times arrange is the only option and u don’t have any choice, same is the case in dialup. LoL.

I use dialup as primary, secondary and backup.

In short, I don’t have broadband.

[/quote]

I hear you! I know it is said that once you go the ‘broadband’ way you don’t look back but I have downgraded my younger siblings to dial-up and they don’t seem to be complaining.

Talking about smaller cities, majority of people are not even familiar with any other sort of internet connection than dialup or even slower so called cable connections over LAN. They are happy with the speed they get, and they don’t like the idea of giving 500-700 more per month for DSL.
[/quote]

Exactly! In the same context sometimes the marketing activities of ISPs centered in the larger cities seem to be futile. With bold announcements such as ‘_____ is the future’, the giants in the ISP field should give a thought or two towards bringing their services to the masses as well.

^ i use dial up frequently as backup coz wateen goes down alot and other times when its up the sites that are important do not open
[/quote]

whoops! which sites are those?

I use dialup when switching between different ISPs (I do it often)

you need a lot of patience with dial up especially if you have experienced speeds like 3.0 MB/s

[/quote]

Ha, seriously, a WHOLE lot of patience. But then again as long as our dear DSL overlords don’t shape up, I’ll keep using the sms for internet dial up services lol.

i am on dial-up…but it doesnt mean I love it!!!:expressionless:
[/quote]

Which ISP do you use?

While seconding Shaheerk

[/quote]

Which ISP are you using currently? I was actually in Jehlum (coincidence?!) when I used the SMS for Net thing by WOL/Mobilink!!

Good idea about the back up…I’m not ashamed to admit it, there are plenty of WOL scratch cards on my computer desk waiting for the time when my DSL is acting up.

[/quote]

HAHA! I can’t believe you just equated dial-up with arranged marriage!! One shouldn’t compare divorcing your dial-up with divorcing your poor unfortunate wife. ;):D:P

well bro I think some times arrange is the only option and u don’t have any choice, same is the case in dialup. LoL.

[/quote]

Guys, stop making it sound so horrible…dial-up and arranged marriages BOTH lol!

whoops! which sites are those?

[/quote]

sites that i need to work on such as my own site http://linuxprimetime.com

On the contrary, you may have noticed that this forum loads faster than other forums on the Internet? That is because it uses a light weight minimalistic forum software called punbb that is ideal for countries like Pakistan where the vast majority of users are on slow dial up. So dial up Internet is actually a very relevant topic on this forum.

I use wc 128kbps connection which is not broadband and only 2x faster than dial up. Also given Worldcall’s poor reliability I often have to use PTCL dial up too.

[/quote]

This forum DEFINITELY loads faster than certain other forums I am a part of, especially the music related forums. I’m just glad I wasn’t off topic, being a new member and all. :)