Desi UPS vs Branded UPS

Is a cheap locally made (desi) UPS safe to provide back-up power to a computer equipment, compared to a branded one such as the ones by APC (http://www.apcc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13).

I hear that locally made UPSes use cheap materials (cheaper inverters and battery chargers) and may not provide the modified sine wave AC required to safely power a computer. How much of this is true?

Also can I buy a good quality inverter and battery charger from any where in Lahore and have my own UPS made from some expert electrician? Does this approach save me any money than to buy a branded UPS.

Also the branded UPS from APC that I know of do not use an external battery source for longer back-up time to the extent of a few hours.

Can any one also provide information about local availability of good quality chinese UPSes such as the ones available here

well a cheap local made UPS gives out square wave output and its not safe for sensitive for electronices like pc. tv and LCD, its ok to use it on fans and lights.... but dont use em on electronics they will harm the circuitry.

well i m also looking for some same solution, today i visited local market, one of the APC saller told me not to buy APC as they are more expensive then a self made battery + invertor solution (amazing --- isn't it!!!) and APC is also getting so much complaints. He suggested me to buy a good quality invertor. He also showed me his shops own system which was same (bat + inve) i asked him about the electricity fluctuation but he told me that he is also running a pc in his shop and didn't get any problem yet.

it was a totally unexpected for me, what do you say?

yaarr i heard that people use two ups for a pc... a smaller good one which gives them like 15-20 minutes time and regulates the voltage surges ... they use a backup ups behind it for longer battery time like the normal ones we use for fans and stuff... is it true or i herad it wrong or something??

yes u have heard correctly many ppl use this setup

my suggestion is to make a large desi ups system (for 2 hours backup) + a small branded ups (for 5-10 min backup).

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

yaarr i heard that people use two ups for a pc… a smaller good one which gives them like 15-20 minutes time and regulates the voltage surges … they use a backup ups behind it for longer battery time like the normal ones we use for fans and stuff… is it true or i herad it wrong or something??
[/quote]

Will the Imported (Branded UPS for PC’s with 10min back-up) able to cope with Square Wave of Desi Made Ups , that also gives high voltages when on low load???

now no more UPS Generator things needed because load shedding has gone

now no more UPS Generator things needed because load shedding has gone
[/quote]

I don’t believe this Govt!

well a cheap local made UPS gives out square wave output and its not safe for sensitive for electronices like pc. tv and LCD, its ok to use it on fans and lights… but dont use em on electronics they will harm the circuitry.
[/quote]

What abotu using stabalizers with sensetive equipment?