Desi UPS issue

Today as power went off, my UPS let out a cracker sound twice but then continued to function normally. A foul smell was spread throughout the gallery. Subsequently, I opened the top cover and identified the issue in transformer (now I might be wrong!). It was abnormally hot and the smell was coming off it.

What could possibly the issue be? I have turned the UPS off as a precautionary measure. I fail to understand why the UPS continued to function normally (steady voltage supply).

There is the possibility that your transformer winding might be fried. The crack sound might be due to arching. Which UPS was it? Of What brand and rating?

once i had the same problem ......i was watching tv blast sound heard.....then my ups fan ( jAl gaya) . check urz ups fan is it working?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

There is the possibility that your transformer winding might be fried. The crack sound might be due to arching. Which UPS was it? Of What brand and rating?
[/quote]

It’s a desi UPS called Fantom UPS by Habib and Company (Rawalpindi). Rating is 2000va (24 V.D.C) and the load is just a single C2D computer (380watt power supply), a 17" BenQ LCD, 2.1 speaker system, and that’s all what was plugged at that time. I used to plug in a 280watt air cooler with it sometimes.

It has been functioning non-stop since January, handling the load for 3(then) to 5(now) hours.

So, a UPS can continue to function even when the transformer winding is electrocuted?

once i had the same problem …i was watching tv blast sound heard…then my ups fan ( jAl gaya) . check urz ups fan is it working?
[/quote]

The fan kicks in at random times while charging or while transforming the power. It’s definitely not the fan here, but the transformer :(

Edit: It appears the UPS no longer performs normally. It creates a louder buzzing sound now though I didn’t bother to test the output voltage (the built-in meter was maxing out at 300volts).

So, a UPS can continue to function even when the transformer winding is electrocuted?
[/quote]

Depends on the amount of damage.

Edit: It appears the UPS no longer performs normally. It creates a louder buzzing sound now though I didn’t bother to test the output voltage (the built-in meter was maxing out at 300volts).
[/quote]

300VAC? Stop using it!

can anybody recomend me a good company of desi ya waleti uPs in rawalpindi or islamabad. I really need a good one .. to run my pc and 2 lights and 2 fans.... soo ?? anyone

Digitech is a pretty good brand. I use it and am happy. Please check there website at www.digitech-ups.com

@ thread starter

you are using the Core 2 Duo PC on desi ups ?? it is not good as these UPS are not delivering uniform / regulated or even the sine wave output !

re-think about it.

there are 2 main windings in any UPS transformer , One for charging the battery and the other is for Step-Up the voltage with the provided amount of current (Amps) If your main winding which is basically a step up winding from 24 volt to 220 volts then the out put wont come , but as u r saying that it is working then the craker sound was not from tht widing shortage for sure . Chk any capacitor (big one) thoroughly in the circuit and i m pretty sure tht the sound was from tht . Or may b One (in series) power transistor short and then dead.

yeah such case is of capcitor usually...n the increase in noise also confirms this...usually the Capacitor works as a noise filter in such UPS.

Get a computer grade UPS for the PC. If you can afford it, a computer grade high capacity UPS will cater to all your needs.

If you are on a tight budget, then buy a computer grade UPS for the PC and a desi one for the lights/fans.

Don't risk your PC...non sine wave output of Desi UPS are killer for switching power supplies (the one's used in PC's).

yea they eventually start lossing the capacity of ur PSU's capacitors and at the end surges cause HDD burning or even MOBO...beware of it..!!its gud to attach a sine o wave unit with PC...

Any branded UPS that can support 1-ton split AC along with computer system and lights

@zeshan

Get a generator.

UPS is becoming a necessary for every pakistani now a days. Load shading issues will be continuw till 2 or 3 years and we should have a backup for light. So i prefer to everyone to buy a branded UPS or anyone one wish to need a desi then you make it .