Depression

Hi.

First off, To the admins. This is a duplicate account, Created only to ask this specific question. Please excuse me for that ! Since i dont know many pakistani forums around, I decided to create a duplicate account and post this personal question i had.

Back to topic, Ive had a traumatic last 1 year in which i lost someone very important to me. Im not going to go into details of that since it was a very personal matter but i have been depressed for about 1 year now and it has started to affect me badly. Usually when im at work or with friends, im fine but when i get some time off and i come home, I get depressed badly and keep thinking about what happened. I've not been able to get over what happened and it has come to the point that it is starting to affect my studies.

I only want to know, if there is someplace in karachi that i can go to for help regarding depression or if someone can just simply let me know the names of some anti depressant tablets which i can go and just buy off the counter. I actually prefer someone just telling me some anti depressants to help me deal with it because i don't think i would have the courage to speak to someone else about it.

Regards!

Depressed Fellow!

Brother I would advise you not to take anti depressants by your self. They have adverse side effects and complications. The physicians give you these medicines in calculated amounts and they keep monitoring/tampering your medicines. The medical stores are not authorized to sell these medicines without prescription from a proper qualified doctor, but in Pakistan you can get them easily but DO NOT try them without consulting the doctor.

I am also passing through such kind of tensions and depressions. Someone very close and dear to me left me without even telling the reason plus a lot of family problems. And the worst is that I do not have a job for the last two years. As you said that your day is passed with your friends and you feel depression only when you are alone. I am alone all the time, so you can guess my condition. All hopes are on Allah Almighty. He will solve all the problems one day. Nothing is impossible for Him. Thats what I use to tell myself. And it is true.

I am not going for any medications, instead I will try to solve it the other way like morning walk, jogging, gym and other such kind of physical activities. The most important thing is to remember Allah Almighty, say prayers, it will make you feel better, believe me. Also if you have money, give Sadqa according to your pocket. Allah Almighty likes when we humans help fellow human beings.

I hope that you find happiness soon.

Regards.

Listen dude, Anti- depression tablets are not a good option, because they have adverse effect on CMS(centeral nervous system). Instead you should consult some pshycatrus or speak up to some freind simply. Don't spoil yourself by keeping the things in your mind. Communicate to a loved one about it and you will surely go through it.

Best of luck. I hope you get recovered as soon as possible. :)

Thanks for your replies.

I do wish i could talk to someone but i've already done that and most people i've talked to are now sick of it. The only response i can get out of them now is, "Get over it, Its been an year now !"

If someone could post something more specific, like somewhere i can go to in Karachi, That would be great. I don't want to let what happened affect my studies, I've already failed an expensive examination after the incident and im working hard to not let it affect me again this time.

I appreciate the kind comments.

Regards!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

This is a duplicate account!
[/quote]

i have no-clue who you are email me so i’ll guide you in private, i know few doctors.

i have no-clue who you are email me so i’ll guide you in private, i know few doctors.

[/quote]

Thanks, i appreciate it.

Can you please use the email button next to my nickname? I just put it on there so that you can email me the details you have of the doctors.

Not everybody reacts to trauma in the same manner.

People who are sensitive, may be affected more deeply

and for longer periods of time. It is quite normal to go

through a mourning period. But one should seek pro-

fessional help if the "blues" persist and start to take a

toll on your routine activities.

Self-medication of mental drugs without supervision,

can leave permanent affects and even be fatal. The

dosage is carefully prescribed by trained professionals

who take into account stuff like: age, weight, medical

history, conflicting maladies, etc. And usually these

drugs are prescribed with companion drugs, which are

supposed to 'cancel-out' the effects of the first one.

I would recommend the psychiatrist at Agha Khan Univ.

hospital. He is a young guy, who's been trained in the

USA and is very easy to talk to, from what I've heard.

There are other like Dr. Haroon and Dr. Unaiza Niaz, but

I wouldn't recommend them, since they are old and may

be a tad stubborn and set in their ways.

Exercise, prayer and good company of friends will, in the

long run, help you get out of this slump, inshallah. But if

the root of the problem is biological, then you would do

well to consult a pro. Good luck to you and I know it's a

cliche' but time does heal all wounds.

Sheikh 'Zindagi, Imtehan Leyti Hai' Chilli

Exercise, prayer and good company of friends will, in the

long run, help you get out of this slump, inshallah. But if

the root of the problem is biological, then you would do

well to consult a pro. Good luck to you and I know it’s a

cliche’ but time does heal all wounds.

[/quote]

x2…lovely said…i was about to write that…and you simply gave the right words to my thought…

Not everybody reacts to trauma in the same manner.

People who are sensitive, may be affected more deeply

and for longer periods of time. It is quite normal to go

through a mourning period. But one should seek pro-

fessional help if the “blues” persist and start to take a

toll on your routine activities.

[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah, i am a quiet person and do have a shy and sensitive personality. I guess that’s what makes it harder for me?

I would recommend the psychiatrist at Agha Khan Univ.

hospital. He is a young guy, who’s been trained in the

USA and is very easy to talk to, from what I’ve heard.

There are other like Dr. Haroon and Dr. Unaiza Niaz, but

I wouldn’t recommend them, since they are old and may

be a tad stubborn and set in their ways.

[/quote]

What makes me a little nervous to go to a professional is that i don’t want to talk about what happened and im sure that would be the first thing they would ask me.

What makes me a little nervous to go to a professional is that i don’t want to talk about what happened and im sure that would be the first thing they would ask me.
[/quote]

Contact some pro psychiatrist. Don’t worry they often face this type of cases. What i know they are friendly.

[/quote]

You’d be surprised that talking to a total stranger may be simpler and easier than talking to a friend / relative.

You need to think about your health. Nothing in the world can be more important than that. No one is going to judge you, especially since they are professionals. And if you seek professional help, you owe it to your self to tell nothing but the whole truth. Wish you best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Neti Jeti ka Pull my friend neti jeti ka pull...

Only joking.

Go out, meet strangers, talk to them, forget ur current life / home for a while. get a job (new maybe) and become a workaholic. Get a hobby and get consumed in it etc etc.

My brother, Life is full of ups and downs..

I know you might have faced a great tragedy but thats not the end of life..

What you need to do is to create enough will-power that u will yourself solve this problem.. I know how difficult it mentally seems but u need to fight that.

Just think that this very moment you will stand up like a champion, keep your feet firm on ground and which are not allowed to slip anymore..

This self-confidence helps a lot :)

Make yourself social, make friends, hang out, join some activities so as to keep yourself busy. And the foremost of all, offer prayer five times a day, do some recitation of Quran and ask help from Allah. He surely can heal any type of illness.

may Allah heal this problem of yours.

Other than that, seeking medical help is a good option coz you can tell everything you faced to the psychiatrist. That relieves a lot of burden on your part.

And please, don't take self-medication, it can prove very fatal for you. I also did the mistake of self-medication when i was ill and afterwards all was 'regret'.

Just the discussion here has made me feel better. I might give a visit to a psychiatrist but i don't think i can afford them.

To be honest, I've tried alot in the last year and i know what works for me.. Its just to keep busy and stay around people. When i come home i get depressed, Seriously depressed and sometimes i just break down while thinking about it.

The problem i face now is that i have my exams coming up, i really want to do well in them. I cannot study if im around alot of people or at work so i need some time alone for that, but unfortunately like i said when im alone, im not able to control myself and concentrate on my studies. Which is why i feel i should be taking medicines for depression. Ill pay a doctor a visit and get him to write me a prescription for depression..

Dudes are you kidding me, all of you telling him to see Psychiatrist, he doesn't need a brain operation. what he really need is a Psychologist. He need counseling first.

its only at extreme end if Psychologist determines if the patient has mental disease etc then they refer to Psychiatrist for further medical tests like brain scan etc.

Its a common in Pakistan to think that Psychologist and Psychiatrist are the same thing but its not at all

^ Do you know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist? Go look it up. A psychiatrist is not a neurosurgeon...

its been a year for broken. now his recovery time is started. he don't need any one except a good friend who can pamper him. broken think positive, whatever have happened , forget it and think ahead. if you would go back again and again that will only frustrate you. Better to think for future and if you want to feel light then play games :P gossip with all.

That's all you need. Enjoy the life that you are having and can make your life more worthy if you would try to accomplish your life goals. Past is passed and now future is infront of you.

I don't know what actually is your problem but I would say that enjoy your life as much as you can instead of ruining it because of something in past.

cheers :)

^ Do you know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist? Go look it up. A psychiatrist is not a neurosurgeon…
[/quote]

its an analogy and its correct from my part (its like someone needs band-aid for minor cut instead he get open heart surgery), OP is depressed by his own admission, he is not out right saying that I keep forgetting stuff which could be sign of Mental disease where you seek straight medical help rather than counseling) I am not in medical field but I got enough common sense to know in what steps to seek help first.

- what he really needs is counseling that the first step is to go to Psychologist to talk it out. He is going through bereavement process since he says he lost someone.

- if Psychologist determines he needs advance “MEDICAL” help/diagnosis the the step forward is Psychiatrist and Neurologist or anybody in Medical field dealing with brain disorders.

sah come on man you make little things so big this is not knowledge contest, its about using common sense and i was right about in my last post and i am right in this post too.

@OP: This is not a medical forum. It is in your best interest that you talk to your family, friends and a professional to seek appropriate help. Closing thread.