Depositing Money into Someone's Account, Noob Question

It may sound stupid but I am totally new to this bank stuff, I need to deposit money into someone's account maintained at Standard Chartered Karachi. Can I go to ANY Standard Chartered Branch in my CITY(Faisalabad), ask for a deposit slip, fill in the details and hand in the cash?

And are these bank account numbers unique to everyone around the world?

You can go to any standard chatered bank and just fill in the deposit slip and hand them the money, you already know the process, why are you hesitant to go to a bank? :)

[quote=“Ahmsun, post:3, topic:16630”]

You can go to any standard chatered bank and just fill in the deposit slip and hand them the money, you already know the process, why are you hesitant to go to a bank? :)

[/quote]

I just wanted to confirm…Never been to bank a before

[quote=“pure_evil, post:, topic:”]

Can I go to ANY Standard Chartered Branch in my CITY(Faisalabad), ask for a deposit slip, fill in the details and hand in the cash?
[/quote]

Yes.

I think he can also send a draft. Isn't it?

[quote=“Imran, post:6, topic:16630”]

I think he can also send a draft. Isn’t it?

[/quote]

How’s that?

It may sound stupid but I am totally new to this bank stuff, I need to deposit money into someone’s account maintained at Standard Chartered Karachi. Can I go to ANY Standard Chartered Branch in my CITY(Faisalabad), ask for a deposit slip, fill in the details and hand in the cash?

[/quote]

You can send it via bank draft.

Bank account is just like your CNIC - unique number for every customer. so just get the beneficiary details and deposit funds online from any branch of SCB.

if the account title and number matches only then the bank will be able to deposit funds into that account.

It may sound stupid but I am totally new to this bank stuff, I need to deposit money into someone’s account maintained at Standard Chartered Karachi. Can I go to ANY Standard Chartered Branch in my CITY(Faisalabad), ask for a deposit slip, fill in the details and hand in the cash?

[/quote]

Welcome to banks. The biggest problem is that we don’t teach our children to have bank account from early age. But now you have it, start using it rather than having cash under your pillow. :P

It’s understandable that a new account holder may not understand the workings of a bank. Never shy away, ask from any bank employee (whether a receptionist or the cashier) to help you understand anything you don’t know. Or better do what I do, I just simply barged into bank manager’s office and directly ask the question to him. Manager is the person who is suppose to know everything and who is there to help everybody. Never shy away, it’s your right to know because it’s your money, even if you have only Rs. 1000 in your account.

Though now all major cities’ bank branches are “online” branches. But if you are in doubt go in and ask “Is it an online branch?”. “Can I deposit money here for another branch’s account?”. Simple and clear questions. They’ll answer you happily. Many years ago, I asked these questions myself just to confirm before depositing money for another account.

If you need help filling out any form or receipt, ask bank employees to help you to fill the rest of it. They are there to help you. Remember, bank manager should be your person to clear all your inquires.

Having said that, you do need “Branch’s Name” (where the account is located) and especially in some banks you’ll also need “Branch Code” (where the account is located), along with complete “Account Number” to deposit money directly into that account. All “online” branches of that bank are inter-connected. In Pakistan an “online” branch means that branch is on their WAN computer-network. “Online” doesn’t mean it’s on internet.

[quote=“wampyr, post:10, topic:16630”]

Welcome to banks. The biggest problem is that we don’t teach our children to have bank account from early age. But now you have it, start using it rather than having cash under your pillow. :P

It’s understandable that a new account holder may not understand the workings of a bank. Never shy away, ask from any bank employee (whether a receptionist or the cashier) to help you understand anything you don’t know. Or better do what I do, I just simply barged into bank manager’s office and directly ask the question to him. Manager is the person who is suppose to know everything and who is there to help everybody. Never shy away, it’s your right to know because it’s your money, even if you have only Rs. 1000 in your account.

Though now all major cities’ bank branches are “online” branches. But if you are in doubt go in and ask “Is it an online branch?”. “Can I deposit money here for another branch’s account?”. Simple and clear questions. They’ll answer you happily. Many years ago, I asked these questions myself just to confirm before depositing money for another account.

If you need help filling out any form or receipt, ask bank employees to help you to fill the rest of it. They are there to help you. Remember, bank manager should be your person to clear all your inquires.

Having said that, you do need “Branch’s Name” (where the account is located) and especially in some banks you’ll also need “Branch Code” (where the account is located), along with complete “Account Number” to deposit money directly into that account. All “online” branches of that bank are inter-connected. In Pakistan an “online” branch means that branch is on their WAN computer-network. “Online” doesn’t mean it’s on internet.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, i went to the bank and asked the guy at the counter, he told me that they charge rs25, but its possible to deposit money from one city to another…and thanks for clearing up about this Online Branch thing, I always used to wonder what an online branch was