DELL laptops:you're opinion

I'm in the market for a new laptop and i have found DELL seems to pack in a lot of tech for a much lower price than the other big companies like Sony, Apple etc...but i am concerned the reason there so cheap is because there poor quality..do think there worth the money or junk?. Have you had any good/bad experiences?

The Inspiron lineup is very dull and bland. The feel is rather cheap. Certain models do offer more technology for the money.

HP DV4, DV6, DV7 and other series look and feel far better.

This is depend on your choice. Dell will also made best laptops and build quality is better than HP if you don't believe on me than go on any USA computer forum and read the user experience. Apple and Sony charge more because they will sell there product on premium price because of there brand name. While Dell offer the value for money deal. If you are gaming fan than check the Dell's Alienware gaming Laptop range.

As compared to Inspiron, the Dell XPS line is much superior in terms of quality and features. The casing is all aluminum, and not the cheap plastic used in Inspirons. Professional studio quality speakers, HD webcam, FULLHD (1080p) screen options and several other cutting edge technologies make it an excellent choice for whoever is looking for a premium quality option.

[quote=“chief, post:4, topic:15367”]

As compared to Inspiron, the Dell XPS line is much superior in terms of quality and features. The casing is all aluminum, and not the cheap plastic used in Inspirons. Professional studio quality speakers, HD webcam, FULLHD (1080p) screen options and several other cutting edge technologies make it an excellent choice for whoever is looking for a premium quality option.

[/quote]

Maybe but there isn’t a significant line-up of products from that series available locally.

Toshiba's satellite series is also good and packed with alot more features than HP n dell (don't get dell they are made in Malaysia zero quality controlled)

HP's new line up is coming up good. Dm & Envy series etc tends to be a stronger machine line-up in latest release.

[quote=“Mazahyr, post:7, topic:15367”]

HP’s new line up is coming up good. Dm & Envy series etc tends to be a stronger machine line-up in latest release.

[/quote]

DM?

Envy is not available locally. Some of the Envy lineup features likes Beats Audio and the imprint finishes have been made available in higher end DV6 models like the 6113TX/6107TX.

Probook series is popular here but is very bland in looks and seems minimal. Higher speced models are also not available in that lineup here.

[quote=“Asad, post:5, topic:15367”]

Maybe but there isn’t a significant line-up of products from that series available locally.

[/quote]

Actually, there are a number of local options to purchase the premium DELL XPS line . For example both MyShop (myshop.com.pk) and Shophive (shophive.com) are stocking them. There is no question the quality and features are top-of-the-line. I can confirm this because I am typing from an XPS right now. (I had been using an Inspiron since many years which was now due for a change and so I researched thoroughly on the XPS before making the switch).

using Dell studio since two years.

I dont like the keyboard at all. The keyboard of VAIO is far better.

My screen Always turns off when i move the Fold. its terrible.

Faced too many problems in these two years. although it still works.

But i would say go for even lower configuration models but go for Good brands.

Would say go for sony

Vaio Z. Stuff worth drooling for.

[quote=“Asad, post:8, topic:15367”]

DM?

[/quote]

it mainly comes in Pavilion umbrella and is portable and performance based series…looks are pretty good…Launched back in October 2009(Dm1) with latest note book Dm4…they seem pretty different and decent…Don’t know if they’ll be further declared as separate series or not.!

I think the poster asked about the merits of Dell, rather than alternate to Dell. :P

So here is the deal from my experience I have found HP to be the most useless laptops but that is not what you asked about. I got three Dell Laptops Latitude D830, Inspiron n 4010 and n51xx. So far all of them are working flawlessly. The cheapest Dells comes from Inspiron Series as it is a consumer oriented where a whole range of different trims are available for customer to choose from, rather than having one line. Where as Latitude is geared more towards a business user, just read the specs for it and you will understand whats the difference. Another interesting thing is that Latitude Series share several hardware with other in the series. Confused let me explain, I got a D830, when I needed to replace the battery of my laptop instead of looking for D830 battery I installed a D820 battery which is similar to D830 thus enabling me to easily replace the hardware because all the Latitudes in D8XX series share the same basic hardware and that is one of the most major plus points. Just because some thing is cheap does not mean its crap vice versa if some thing is expensive does not mean its better.

I would recommend you should buy the latest Latitude E series, should be some where around 70K. Its really good since your concerned about the quality its very well built with several good features. Search about it. But if your interested in gaming try the XPS series.

What I told you comes from my first hand experience with Dell, yes they might appear cheap plasticy at times but they do pack a punch.l