Dell Laptop Windows 8 Backup and Recovery

I have recently got a Dell Inspiron 15R (core i7 with 1TB) with Windows 8 pre-installed. I tried to get familiarize with Windows 8 and didn't find much inconvenience. After thoroughly reading the "Windows 8 thread" on this forum, I upgraded it to Windows 8.1

I plan to shift to this laptop but in case my favorite software show up compatibility issues with Windows 8, then I will have to install Windows 7 on it.

My questions:

1) What is the best and sure method to backup this internal hard drive in such a way that I will be able to restore it to the original state as it came out of factory?

2) Has anybody on this forum ever done this before? I mean removed the original OS, tested something else and successfully recovered it to original factory state / settings ?

I upgraded my desktop and laptop from windows 7 to windows 8 and after a week of playing around I had to revert back to windows 7. I lost all my data as I did a factory restore but there is a folder with files backup. It is not worth the hassle if you ask me.

Windows 8 in my opinion is not meant for a laptop or a desktop without a touch screen. You cant even use a calculator easily to say the least. I would never upgrade to windows 8 even if I have to switch to something like an ubuntu eventually.

[quote=", post:2, topic:20969"]

I upgraded my desktop and laptop from windows 7 to windows 8 and after a week of playing around I had to revert back to windows 7. I lost all my data as I did a factory restore but there is a folder with files backup. It is not worth the hassle if you ask me.

[/quote]

The only reason I would like to make a backup and possibly revert back ever - If I want to sale this laptop with it's licensed Windows 8

About pirated Windows 8, anyone can install any time. There would be no need to make HDD images / backups.

There is typically a backup/recovery partition which shouldn't be touched.

For using incompatible software(s), just use some VM software like VMWare and put Windows 7/XP on it as per requirement.

^ This.

And i would honestly suggest you to keep using Windows 8.1 for a while, you'll start to like it. If you don't like the Plastic UI (Metro), then you can just install StartIsBack+ like me and enjoy the best of both worlds (7 and 8).

yeah go back to windows 7 is best for you. i found many drivers related issues in windows 8.1 for my dell inspiron 5521 i5 .may be no issues with your lappy, still i found windows 7 more compatible with different softwares. i used to have genuine windows 7 in hp probooks like probook 4530s , in that i cleared out everything from hardisk and repartitioned then simply i gave a call to microsoft support, they activated in 5 minutes after i told them some data of slui. so i think there is no need of backing up anything.from my point of view.

@Ijaz Ahmed! Kindly provide a list of software you plan on running on your laptop. I haven't been able to find a single piece of software which would turn out to be incompatible. One of my sibling is studying computer science, and another BS(IT) ... they do their coding and stuff on a Windows 8.1 based laptop. Even Borland C++ runs fine on it. I haven't had a single complaint about 'incompatible software' on it.

My request is that you shouldn't revert back to Win7. Most people do it in a heartbeat, especially when they find ONE problem with 8.1 ... and they use it as a "reason" to go back to Win7. If you ask for my opinion, i am a "SOLVER". I try to SOLVE these software problems instead of AVOIDING them like that. (thats a great chance to 'learn' anyway).

If you haven't found Win8.1 to be inconvenient, you will settle down just fine. Just give it some time, a week tops. If you face any problems or issues whatsoever, we are here to help.

---------

As for your original question about Recovering OS to its original state ... if your laptop has licensed Windows then it will also have a "Recovery Partition", which can be accessed while you are booting up Windows. If you plan to 'see' that partition, you can do so via "Disk Management" (right click on bottom left corner, on start button ... or Press Win+X)

I was also searching for the recovery partition on my sony touchscreen pre installed win 8 but to be honest i havent used it touchscreen on windows 8 ,i dont need it eh... I have uograded to 8.1 and loving the windows.

[quote=“abobobilly, post:7, topic:20969”]

As for your original question about Recovering OS to its original state ... if your laptop has licensed Windows then it will also have a "Recovery Partition", which can be accessed while you are booting up Windows. If you plan to 'see' that partition, you can do so via "Disk Management" (right click on bottom left corner, on start button ... or Press Win+X)

[/quote]

Thank you for detailed reply. Yes, I have original Windows and there is recovery partition. I am able to see it through Disk Management.

My question was "If I had to format this HDD, delete partitions and install WIN-7 (with my own choice of partition sizes), how should I backup this HDD in case I want to revert back to original Windows 8 with same partitions as it came out of the box?

[quote=", post:9, topic:20969"]

My question was "If I had to format this HDD, delete partitions and install WIN-7 (with my own choice of partition sizes), how should I backup this HDD in case I want to revert back to original Windows 8 with same partitions as it came out of the box?

[/quote]

For your Laptop to be reverted back to its factory settings, it requires access to its "Recovery Partition". As long as you don't delete that, you will be fine.

However, i haven't experienced such a problem so can't comment on that. But i myself have a tiny concern about the issue. Its about the "Reserved Partition" which windows create, containing the Boot Files of Windows. Incase of Win7, its just 100MB but Win8 (& later) create a 350MB partition. What i don't know, is if deleting that partition (if you delete just the C: drive) would have any effect on the Recovery Partition.

So If its just Win7 that you would want to install, then formating just the C: drive will do the trick. (delete just the C: drive, so that it can make that "Reserved Partition" for windows itself.

If you want to alter the partition layout of your Hard Drive (by expanding or shrinking) your existing Partitions, then you can do that easily with the Disk Management.

^ Thank you for your reply.

There is a Recovery partition with some 7.5 GB size, and two other small partitions of few hundred MB. I thin you are right about WIN-7 creating it's own Reserved partition which may conflict with Windows 8 Reserved partition.

I think if I ever need Windows 7 on this laptop, I should buy a new 1TB 2.5" Laptop HDD just for installing any new OS. That seems my safest bet.

watch and follow the instructions ( In case if you don't have recovery media disc comes with laptop )

First thing to do make OS recovery media either on USB or DVD

Second how to install OS from recovery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5ewszMtGQ

Dell has the best costumer support among other brands they have time to put video instructions on YouTube :wub:

Thank you

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have recently got a Dell Inspiron 15R (core i7 with 1TB) with Windows 8 pre-installed. I tried to get familiarize with Windows 8 and didn't find much inconvenience. After thoroughly reading the "Windows 8 thread" on this forum, I upgraded it to Windows 8.1

I plan to shift to this laptop but in case my favorite software show up compatibility issues with Windows 8, then I will have to install Windows 7 on it.

My questions:

1) What is the best and sure method to backup this internal hard drive in such a way that I will be able to restore it to the original state as it came out of factory?

2) Has anybody on this forum ever done this before? I mean removed the original OS, tested something else and successfully recovered it to original factory state / settings ?

[/quote]

I know your problem infact i am also stuk in that kind of condition than some one recommend me this site this is very helpful han chek out

http://cabnet.pk/

check it if u need

For new and advance laptops check out this site also if you have any hard ware and soft ware problem they''ll help you

if know other site better than this kindly share with us

[quote=", post:15, topic:20969"]

if know other site better than this kindly share with us

[/quote]

http://www.dell.com

[quote=", post:14, topic:20969"]

I know your problem infact i am also stuk in that kind of condition than some one recommend me this site this is very helpful han chek out

check it if u need

[/quote]

I am interested in knowing the solution here on WP forum rather than reading other websites. Would you share here what did you do when you were in a similar situation ?

[quote=", post:17, topic:20969"]

I am interested in knowing the solution here on WP forum rather than reading other websites. Would you share here what did you do when you were in a similar situation ?

[/quote]

I dont know what to do thats why i recommend this site check it out and call them they'll surely tell you the solution