Dell laptop integrated webcam not working dell inspiron 1525

i have dell laptop inspiron 1525. its around 11 months old. it has webcam built in. it was working few days back. now when i start its webcam manager it displays message " failed to start preview. please reconnect camera". surprisingly its working in yahoo messenger but not in msn messenger or on skype. as well as not in webcam's software known as webcam manager. can anyone help me in this regard what should i do now? i have searched troubleshooting on dell wesite but it hasnt worked for me. please help me. i will be greatful to you.

thanks

Uninstall/Reinstall the drivers. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R160320&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1720&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14455&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=25&fileid=214672

Does the blue light next to it turn on when you're in Dell Webcam Center? It seems weird that it'd be a hardware error as it works on Yahoo.

i have reinstalled it but still its not working. blue light works only when its working in yahoo messenger. it does not work in webcam manager ie software program of webcam. but this light also blinks at start of the computer.

i dont know wats the problem

when i try to use webcam in msn then it shows message that webcam may be in use of someother program but it is not getting used by any program.

It could be a virus, though it's unlikely since Yahoo works. Doesn't seem like it's something that can't be fixed by reinstalling Windows. I don't have Yahoo Messenger, but this is what I did, I started Dell Webcam Center and started Photo Capture. Then I tried doing a video call through MSN and it gave the same error as your MSN but Webcam Center was working. The next time, I started the video call first and then began Photo Capture in Dell Webcam Center, and it gave the reconnect your camera error. So what I think is happening is something else is using your camera before the other two softwares, I think Yahoo Messenger is somehow using your camera all the time. Did you recently install or upgrade Yahoo Messenger? Have you tried closing all webcam related software (MSN & Yahoo) and then starting Dell Webcam Center? Maybe you should temporarily uninstall Yahoo and see if it work.

@goodgirl

can you choose one of the following options

did you faced the problem after

1-re-installing the OS? (most chances)

2-uninstalling the driver and re-installing it? (might be)

3-or it just stopped working, like just after a reboot of the system? (very less chances)

and it was working fine before?

I want to know which change in the system caused the webcam for that behavior

and in device manager see under the Imaging Devices. does it say "Laptop Integrated Webcam" or some thing like "USB Webcam"

Well it is not a virus or some thing that directly hits your webcam. it's a very well known issue with Dell integrated web cams. the Driver gets installed by default when Windows XP or Vista installed. and that driver is not well supported with these webcams. they support as an external webcams with these. and they see it just as a webcam attached via USB.

and that webcam does really work but with less functionalities that it can work with. as you said it works in any other applications but not in the Dell Webcam Manager. that is, the WebCam Manager when tries to use your webcam it detects the valid drive before starting the webcam. it could also be the reason it could not detect that the webcam is connected.

Try the following. try second if one doesn't work

1-re-installing webcam driver (Not the Dell Webcam Manager)

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R165116&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=15135&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=17&fileid=222145

2-open the device manager. under Imaging Devices select the webcam driver already installed. choose Update Driver and in the wizard choose search from the Internet options, make sure you are connected to the internet.

This problem can also be caused by other inter-relating applications which uses the same hardware device. when there is any bug terminating those applications if the application doesn't terminate properly then it can cause the webcam remained in use.

you can try Task Manger to exit the applications related Processes manually.

my webcam was working properly since the time i bought my laptop. 10 days back it suddenly stoped working and showed message that preview cant be created and reconnect your camera, in dell webcam manager. and message that its in use by other application in msn messenger but worked in yahoo. i neither reinstalled my OS nor installed driver.but i m not sure if the automatic updates were installed by dell.

device manager imaging device shows laptop integrated webcam and it also shows that device is working properly.

i tried both ur options both. second option says that its already updated till date.still did nt work.

wat should i do now?

waiting for reply........................

Did you install or upgrade or start using any software 10 days ago?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

my webcam was working properly since the time i bought my laptop. 10 days back it suddenly stoped working and showed message that preview cant be created and reconnect your camera, in dell webcam manager. and message that its in use by other application in msn messenger but worked in yahoo. i neither reinstalled my OS nor installed driver.but i m not sure if the automatic updates were installed by dell.

device manager imaging device shows laptop integrated webcam and it also shows that device is working properly.

i tried both ur options both. second option says that its already updated till date.still did nt work.

wat should i do now?

waiting for reply…

[/quote]

didn’t you try Task Manager for manually terminating processes?

didn’t you try First starting the cam in Dell Webcam Manager right after booting the Windows without doing any thing else?

to me it seems your other applications are causing it.

i din not install any new software 10 days back myself but the laptop automatically updates when it gets started.so i dont know if any software got updated or not 10 days back.

what should i do in task manager?which processes to terminate and how ? explain steps to do that?

i have tried opening webcam just after start of computer but didnt work even then.