Delete older Win-7 files, which are not related to Current OS Drive

I just have been in trouble with this case. Have tried a little bit on it and left un-solved. So now just thought to ask it here if any one else has got any clue to solve it.

It's a long time ago when I was using Windows XP as a Primary OS on Drive C: , I tried to test Windows-7(an earlier release perhaps it was RC in new stages) as a dual boot. I installed it on drive D: .

For may be a week or so, I was with both of the versions perfectly running on my laptop. And then I got some issue with it and had to reinstall Windows XP on primary drive C:

I did install Windows XP again on drive C: letting win-7 be spared on the other drive. And thought to delete the win-7 files manually on the other drive.

Here I got the trouble. Even being in Windows XP, I was not able to delete the Win-7 Files/Folders which were on the other drive D. Some of the files were deleted just as easily as normally we do but more of them were not able to be deleted.

I just left them be there thinking of that there was enough space to ignore some GBs (it was around 20 GB)

Now, when I am running Windows-7 RTM release as Primary OS on drive C: for more than a half of the year. I tried to delete the older win-7 files on drive D: again manually but I was still not able to delete them. I left them again.

But now when I have got the drive D: less in free space, I just have tried again to delete the win-7 files manually by going more into the folders and subfolders to delete as much as I could. By doing that I was able to delete more stuff but still not enough to get free space. It's still consuming more than 15GB, which is just not delete able.

This is what needs to be solved. I need to delete those crap files/folders of older win-7 on drive D:

The Error, what occurs when I try to delete is simply "Access is Denied". Only when I try to delete or move or edit.

Reading the files and folders are just fine. I can open files in a relative program or notepad. I can open folders and explore what's in there.

Following is what I have done already:

- Connecting the drive via a USB adapter with another computer...........No change, the same error occurs....

- Deleting from with-in other OS(only Windows).......... No change, the same error occurs....

Following is what I can not do:

- Formatting drive D: which contains the files to be deleted...... as it's the last thing I can do..

- Can not make back up of important files from drive D: to format it after that...... as well it's the last thing I would do.

To mention that, I do have all the other stuff on drive D: including personal data, office work, databases, softwares.

Why not shrink the volume D and transfer the files to another newly built volume?

After that you can easily delete the volume D.

Else:

http://winhlp.com/node/39

^ Thanks Imran

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that it's also what I've tried already. But it didn't work as the space left in drive D is not enough by which it could be shrinked.

By the way shrinking drive D gave only 2gb of available space by which it could be shrinked. And that is not enough to hold the data consuming more than 100gb of space.

Also I only attempted this to check if it works but I wasn't willing to do that like transfering bunch of data to other drive as I mentioned

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
- Can not make back up of important files from drive D: to format it after that...... as well it's the last thing I would do.
[/quote]

edit:

I am currently on the phone and will check that link, you referred, thoroughly when I'll be on computer. Thanks

Borther delete them from safe mode

OR Delete them from with-in linux. If you've linux.

OR If you've old win98 installation disk delete them from command prompt.

First, un-check "Use simple file sharing" from folder options menu. Then;

1)Select the folder/files that you want to delete, go to properties->security. Now two things may happen:

A) Either you may get some message asking that permissions are different on different items so should windows reset all permissions. If so, answer yes and ok. Then open properties->security again and continue the procedure below of the second possibility.

B) The second possibility is that a message will come saying you have no right to view security settings but you can take ownership etc etc. Now click advanced and go to owner. Your account should be listed in "change owner to" box. Select it and check "Replace owner and subcontainers and object". click ok ok all the way.

2) Now repeat step 1. Click Advanced->Add and type Everyone in the supplied field. Check the permission "Full Control" in "Allow" checkbox. Click OK once and check "Replace permission entries on all child objects...". Make sure there is no "Deny" type permission in Permission entries list. If there is, select it and click remove.

3) Now click Apply and then Ok, Ok. Hopefully you should be able to delete the suckers.

Thanks guys

I've them all deleted using the following commands executing on each of the root folders which I needed to delete. And Yes! It just works as SupMA5TER's windowed procedure above.

takeown /r /f D:\Windows

The above command takes the ownership on the specified files or folder/subfolders as of the current logged on account. which usually gets under the ownership of TrustedInstaller and can not be deleted/modified until you take the ownership to account which is currently logged in.

cacls D:\Windows /T /G username:F

above commands then needs to be executed to take the full rights on the specified files or folder/subfolders which I did take under my ownership.

That's all. Pressing simply Shift+Delete now will just delete them.

Both of the commands take a several seconds or a couple of minutes to get completed, depending on the data you are modifying attributes on.

Thanks guys....

I just have been in trouble with this case. Have tried a little bit on it and left un-solved. So now just thought to ask it here if any one else has got any clue to solve it.

It's a long time ago when I was using Windows XP as a Primary OS on Drive C: , I tried to test Windows-7(an earlier release perhaps it was RC in new stages) as a dual boot. I installed it on drive D: .

For may be a week or so, I was with both of the versions perfectly running on my laptop. And then I got some issue with it and had to reinstall Windows XP on primary drive C:

I did install Windows XP again on drive C: letting win-7 be spared on the other drive. And thought to delete the win-7 files manually on the other drive.

Here I got the trouble. Even being in Windows XP, I was not able to delete the Win-7 Files/Folders which were on the other drive D. Some of the files were deleted just as easily as normally we do but more of them were not able to be deleted.

I just left them be there thinking of that there was enough space to ignore some GBs (it was around 20 GB)

Now, when I am running Windows-7 RTM release as Primary OS on drive C: for more than a half of the year. I tried to delete the older win-7 files on drive D: again manually but I was still not able to delete them. I left them again.

But now when I have got the drive D: less in free space, I just have tried again to delete the win-7 files manually by going more into the folders and subfolders to delete as much as I could. By doing that I was able to delete more stuff but still not enough to get free space. It's still consuming more than 15GB, which is just not delete able.

This is what needs to be solved. I need to delete those crap files/folders of older win-7 on drive D:

The Error, what occurs when I try to delete is simply "Access is Denied". Only when I try to delete or move or edit.

Reading the files and folders are just fine. I can open files in a relative program or notepad. I can open folders and explore what's in there.

Following is what I have done already:

- Connecting the drive via a USB adapter with another computer...........No change, the same error occurs....

- Deleting from with-in other OS(only Windows).......... No change, the same error occurs....

Following is what I can not do:

- Formatting drive D: which contains the files to be deleted...... as it's the last thing I can do..

To mention that, I do have all the other stuff on drive D: including personal data, office work, databases, softwares.

Why not shrink the volume D and transfer the files to another newly built volume?

After that you can easily delete the volume D.

Else:

http://winhlp.com/node/39

^ Thanks Imran

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that it's also what I've tried already. But it didn't work as the space left in drive D is not enough by which it could be shrinked.

By the way shrinking drive D gave only 2gb of available space by which it could be shrinked. And that is not enough to hold the data consuming more than 100gb of space.

Also I only attempted this to check if it works but I wasn't willing to do that like transfering bunch of data to other drive as I mentioned

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
[/quote]

edit:

I am currently on the phone and will check that link, you referred, thoroughly when I'll be on computer. Thanks

Borther delete them from safe mode

OR Delete them from with-in linux. If you've linux.

OR If you've old win98 installation disk delete them from command prompt.

First, un-check "Use simple file sharing" from folder options menu. Then;

1)Select the folder/files that you want to delete, go to properties->security. Now two things may happen:

A) Either you may get some message asking that permissions are different on different items so should windows reset all permissions. If so, answer yes and ok. Then open properties->security again and continue the procedure below of the second possibility.

B) The second possibility is that a message will come saying you have no right to view security settings but you can take ownership etc etc. Now click advanced and go to owner. Your account should be listed in "change owner to" box. Select it and check "Replace owner and subcontainers and object". click ok ok all the way.

2) Now repeat step 1. Click Advanced->Add and type Everyone in the supplied field. Check the permission "Full Control" in "Allow" checkbox. Click OK once and check "Replace permission entries on all child objects...". Make sure there is no "Deny" type permission in Permission entries list. If there is, select it and click remove.

3) Now click Apply and then Ok, Ok. Hopefully you should be able to delete the suckers.

Thanks guys

I've them all deleted using the following commands executing on each of the root folders which I needed to delete. And Yes! It just works as SupMA5TER's windowed procedure above.

takeown /r /f D:\Windows

The above command takes the ownership on the specified files or folder/subfolders as of the current logged on account. which usually gets under the ownership of TrustedInstaller and can not be deleted/modified until you take the ownership to account which is currently logged in.

cacls D:\Windows /T /G username:F

above commands then needs to be executed to take the full rights on the specified files or folder/subfolders which I did take under my ownership.

That's all. Pressing simply Shift+Delete now will just delete them.

Both of the commands take a several seconds or a couple of minutes to get completed, depending on the data you are modifying attributes on.

Thanks guys....

thought the issue has been resolved but here is another solution that i think will work perfectly against this issue,

put ubuntu cd in your pc, dont install it simply launch ubuntu and Delete those files, simple !! :)

what do you think will it work??? i havnt used ubuntu without installing,

^ Thanks. I would try to re-produce the problem some day and would try deleting the files... It would be easier if it works...