Dedicated server hosting in Pakistan

Does any one have any info ? Dedicated hosting or even colocation would be nice :/...

Even if any datacenter exists (I'm sure there are..), but due to the level of inflation in Pakistan, the price will simply be too high. Cooling is the worse issue the datacenters in pakistan have to tackle with.

Rent one remotely in any other asian country if you have to do it in a cost-effective manner and yet need lower latency.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Even if any datacenter exists (I’m sure there are…), but due to the level of inflation in Pakistan, the price will simply be too high. Cooling is the worse issue the datacenters in pakistan have to tackle with.

Rent one remotely in any other asian country if you have to do it in a cost-effective manner and yet need lower latency.

[/quote]

Off to hongkong then :confused:

If you are looking for a Pakistani company with servers in Pakistan then it's a big NO NO!

But if you are looking for a Pakistani company with servers in USA e.t.c then that's another story.

Useless. Even if someone is selling dedicated servers, they're probably resellers. It's common to rent a server from a real host and resell it at exorbitant price in third world. So if you want your money's worth, your best bet is to go with a reputable company outside Pakistan.

@OP Just curious (feel free to not answer), what sort of bandwidth / processing requirements do you have to need a dedicated server? It sounds great, but dedicated hosting can be a pain to manage unless the hosts are good.

If you are looking for suggestions, I highly recommend Media Temple or Mosso. I have yet to hear a [justifiable] negative comment about either.

Just wanted to add, if your target market is in Pakistan and your application requires extremely low latency (why else would you want to locate the server physically in Pakistan?), think about deploying edge servers in the region instead. You could probably find relatively low latency connectivity solutions in the middle east, specifically in the UAE or Bahrain. India might be worth exploring as well.

Cheers

@Raza

Processing + control over your server are the main issues here... We have been all over the place... shared hosting, VPS, VDS and now currently we are experimenting with Dedicated servers in Europe and US. Main problem is when ur site or web application out grows ur current setup i.e shared hosting or vps by consuming more cpu cycles , memory and bandwidth... We started with like 3000 Hits per day which is quite ok for shared hosting ... no need for dedicated ... as we grew.. we added plenty of stuff online... Forums (forums consume a lot of server resources... spcly if its a high traffic forum), The site got slower.... it started to get time outs,,, forums started to give connection errors due limited no of traffic allowed on the shared hosting and lost go deal of our traffic. Now we control our own bandwidth, database, dns , etc. But the main problem is content delivery... when we moved to germany it was due the fact that latencies to germany were the lowest from all over Pakistan.. as compared to US, UK and East Asia. Rem latencies and speeds matter a lot when ur serving content to countires like Pakistan where bulk of the user base is on dialup... Spcly when ur streaming audio+ video. Anyways for some reason for the last 2 months latencies are up from 120-140ms to 500+ms... with frequent packet loss and low speeds. The reason i am asking for dedicated in Pakistan is that we have 2 web appications that we would like to develop and their deployment requires a setup in Pakistan, which i am sure is not going ot happen in the near future :S.

P.S traffic to india is routed through USA :P.. well it has been for the last 6 years.. its only now after the fibre cut that ptcl is routing directly to India and east asia via pccw. You dont know then thats going to end :$. We are currently checking out Italy. Servers on telecom italia seem to have low latency.

Regarding your scalability issues, I strongly suggest you take a look at Mosso. As far as reliability, they are a Rackspace company and on the Rackspace backbone so they are tried and tested. Outside of the outage that affected 37Signals recently, I have yet to hear anything negative about them.

I think perhaps you need to take a look at how the PTA / PTCL / Major ISP's are routing the majority of their traffic and find a host in the US / UK / Europe sitting on, or close to the pipe. I assume you can't really talk about your project, but it would be fantastic to find out what sort of work you are doing =)

My background isn't actually in IT, its a bit of a passion and a bit of a family business. Just piqued my interest thats all =)

yes i cant talk abt it but i can give u a hint... u;ve seen server side CDN ? like akamai ... etc.. they have edge servers alll over the world and u get the best possible route to a server from ur side... hence better latencies and content delivery... my project is the reverse of that ... wht if a site does not use CDN... we are trying to reduce latencies without brining in the cdn.. imagine u click on you tube and u dont have to wait for buffering... instead of going 20 hops... ur data travels 12 hops... its like that..something like codeen :)

Scalability is best tackled with cloud computing. Amazon Compute Cloud / EC2 can serve the purpose.

For the latency issue, I second Raza's suggestion about finding the provider which utilizes at least one of the route that's utilized by ISPs in Pakistan.

@devnull

So if I extrapolate what you are saying, or dare I say it, read between the line. You are suggesting a service which pre-fetches / caches content on demand in a proxy-less transparent manner i.e. an application / service to be utilized by ISPs =)

So instead of:

[user] ----small pipe, high latency ---->

we are looking at this instead:

[user] ----small pipe, low latency --- [isp] ----fat pipe, low latency--- [super secret service]----

so that after the initial request, the chain becomes:

[user] ----small pipe, low latency --- [isp] - [video cached via super secret service]

Sounds interesting and brilliant at the same time. This would solve a lot of the issues that users in low-aggregate-bandwidth countries like Pakistan suffer from. I guess, the crudest form of it is seen in what ISP's do here by setting up FTP servers within their internal networks to cut down on repeat, latent traffic.

Totally understand if you can neither confirm or deny the above :P

Would love to be kept in the loop when you guys go public, please do let me know.

currently we have deployed two test beds in france and uk. If any one is interested in testing you can email/PM me ur email addy + ur static ip+ur the name of ur isp and ur connection speed. We are testing our setup, although the client side software isnt ready... we are running simulated server tests. A limited no of users can test this concept and give us their valued feedback :)..

I'd throw my hat in the ring, but would the fact that I use a mac be a detriment?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I’d throw my hat in the ring, but would the fact that I use a mac be a detriment?
[/quote]

Its doesnt matter rite now. Its more like using a proxy server in ur IE or Safari settings and chaning ur dns to suit the same.

Very informative thread!!