Debit cards for internet shopping

I need to pay some money on a site, based in US, and I have no doubts about its legitimacy so that's not a problem. Now, it asks me to enter my credit card info. They do NOT have a seperate tab where one can choose to pay by debit card and debit card is all I have. So if I enter my debit card info in the place where I'm supposed to enter the credit card info, will it still work? Also remember the amount to be paid is in US dollars so please let me know if that matters as well.

ABL debit cards don't work since they are "Electronic use only" so i'm considering getting standard chartered debit card. Where I live credit cards are not offered so debit is the only option for me.

Yes, it will work.

OK, thanks alot. Any suggestions, like maybe a better bank to choose than Standard Chartered whose debit card will work on net, please post because I'll have to start the painful process of getting a new account and everything.

i thing debit cards with Visa logo should work.

Anyone having knowledge of debit/ credit cards of various banks?

We should first make a list of web-usable debit/ credit cards. Merits and demerits and service quality can be discussed subsequently.

But first we need to know which local cards can be used for online payments...

OK, restating, ABL cards don't work, and, I say this from personal experience and after a lot of discussion with ABL representatives. The reason they give is that, as the card explicitly states, their cards have the special restriction of being for "Electronic use only". Thus, any card on which this is written cannot be used where it is not physically present.

On the other hand, I have been talking with Standard Chartered bank's representatives and they assure me again and again (I just cant believe it for some reason ;p) that their card can be used on the net anywhere where VISA is accepted, but, I have yet to get an account their and use their card, so can't really say anything for certain.

Bank Alfalah's work. First hand experience of a friend.

Any other bank's credit cards work?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

OK, restating, ABL cards don’t work, and, I say this from personal experience and after a lot of discussion with ABL representatives. The reason they give is that, as the card explicitly states, their cards have the special restriction of being for “Electronic use only”. Thus, any card on which this is written cannot be used where it is not physically present.

On the other hand, I have been talking with Standard Chartered bank’s representatives and they assure me again and again (I just cant believe it for some reason ;p) that their card can be used on the net anywhere where VISA is accepted, but, I have yet to get an account their and use their card, so can’t really say anything for certain.

[/quote]

Are you sure about “electronic use only” ? Cause i think Bank Alfalah Cards also have that written on them but according to the guy who posted above me, They work online ? :S

Is anybody have an idea when MCB is going to start its Visa debit cards. Currently they have smart card which works like a debit card but no visa debit yet.

This discussion can make a new or potential user confused. Moreover, I m worried about the banks pathetic atitude about providing consolidated services/solutions for onlinr transactions.

Still no solid answer :(.

yes i hav same situation, i want to do buy a domain host ,it is only through visa ,mastercard ,but there is no solid bank visa card ,cant believe , please some one help us !

Wow. I thought UBL's debit (visa) card was popular enough? Just search it. Standard Chartered's visa cards also work with some merchants, but not all.

Hi there guys. I want to announce for others' benefit that Standard Chartered Bank's debit card works (yeppe!!). After procrastinating for a long time I finally collected my card from the bank today, entered the card info and it worked beautifully. No hitches whatsoever. Also, I used it for a small, but reliable, america based site so I can't see any reason why it won't be acceptable at any other site that accepts visa.

maliksaim, you mean you used Standard Chartered Bank's DEBIT CARD online without any activation etc. from Bank? Confirm since UBL offers it but it has to activated for Internet usage.

Sorry but no experiance with Debit Cards for internet use.

But I am using Bank Al Falah Visa Credit card for last two years and so far having very good experiance.

The only thing i have to do every time before i can use it on internet is to activate it through Bank Alfalh helpline (they charge Rs. 100/- per activation).

I think for starter Bank Alfalah Credit cards are good, online and offline too.

@ABL

Bad banking with worst products, once i had account with ABL, unfortunately lost my TPIN for ATM card, the helpline said that i will have to apply for a new ATM card as there was no option to generate a new TPIN. Now i am happy with SCB

@Joker:

yes yes, the debit card. The usual activation required before using for the first time is required, of course, but I don't see why that would be a problem for anyone. No other activation was required for me though, no calling to "make-it-online" before the purchase either.... its up all the time!

i have no idea for any kind of card axcept atm.

i need to know how to get a card for online shoping and how much minimum cost?

how to use it ?

i am fear about it some site admin ask me a thing with $3 then after having information of that card if he cutts $30 is it possible or not ? and if it is possible and he/she cutt much how to take that abount bank?