DDR3 or DDR2 system?

Can anyone advise me if I should buy a DDR3 system now or wait for the prices to go further down in a couple of months?

Also, Current mid-range Mobos (Rs9000 - Rs11000) support DDR3 upto 1333, do you think I should wait for mobos supporting DDR3 upto 1600 or will the current limit (1333)will go on for another 2 years (Future proofing).

I also heard that a new type of RAM would be released this year. Any idea what it is?

The only logical reason that you go for DDR3 is that you are building a system with Core i7. If you are going on the line of Core2 then DDR2 is more sensible choice.

Wah wah Kya baat hai, aur, aur

Seriously, while you are right in someways............... not really, DDR3's price is almost as much as DDR2. Hence I could use DDR3 for a core2 system, and Core i7 system is tooo expensive. But the prices may drop, question is when?

You didn't completely understand my question:

"Current mid-range Mobos (Rs9000 - Rs11000) support DDR3 upto 1333, do you think I should wait for mobos supporting DDR3 upto 1600 or will the current limit (1333)will go on for another 2 years (Future proofing)."

The question is based on "Future proofing".

Do you think DDR3-1333 would be available after two years,

cuz the current Mid range Mobos can support DDR3 800,1333 only, and I know this for certain that next year the midrange mobos will support upto DDR3-1600 .

^

y dont u understand the words from wampyr

775 pins processor will be COMPLETLY REPLACED BY i7

so having 1600bus (which is only used to OC) is useless as i7 will dominate..

If you want to build CORE2 system go for ddr2...else wait for i7( to get cheap)

as per performance there is only 5-10% difference b/w ddr2 and ddr3!

NO system is future proof not even i7...as INTEL is taking about 6 processor CPU

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^

y dont u understand the words from wampyr

775 pins processor will be COMPLETLY REPLACED BY i7

so having 1600bus (which is only used to OC) is useless as i7 will dominate…

If you want to build CORE2 system go for ddr2…else wait for i7( to get cheap)

as per performance there is only 5-10% difference b/w ddr2 and ddr3!

NO system is future proof not even i7…as INTEL is taking about 6 processor CPU

[/quote]

Thank you for explaining. Maybe now he’ll agree or if he still not satisfied in the answer then he might be waiting for “different” answer. Then he himself knows the “answer”, just waiting for someone else to say it :)

Ok I got it . I am fully satisfied, just needed an explanation to what Wampyr said.

As for future proofing, there is truth in what you said, but FPing depends in use, and I play games with my system. I have had my system:

OS (WinXP 32 Bit)

Mobo (Asus P5B VM)

processor (Intel E6300)

RAM (2.5 GB 667) )

for 3 and half years, changing my Gfx card once (7600GS to 3850 256MB 256Bit).

Games work ok, (1200x Res) not on highest settings but just enough to enjoy it.

I just worry that with the coming of Win7, I am going to need a system upgrade.

For the time being I will wait for the i7 prices to drop.

Thank you very much and Kind regards

Now how do I end this topic, or will the Admin do it themselves??

the question is not DDR2 or DDR3. its i7 or core 2 duo? because i7 doesnt support DDR2 and core 2 duo doesnt support DDR3

the question is not DDR2 or DDR3. core 2 duo doesnt support DDR3
[/quote]

it does but there won’t b any peformance difference so its a waste of money to use ddr3 wid core2 duo…core2 duo or quad compatible mobo wil not support core i7 due to socket difference

@ poton12

Both DDR2 DDR3 cost almost the same, and as pointed out earlier by ahstpk and by looking into websites there is performance difference.

Very few can afford to buy a i7 system. So if somone wants to buy a core 2 system, then you could buy a core2 mobo with DDR3 support. Go to Galaxy.pk you will find a mobo there of such sort. Hence DDR3 is not a complete waste of money.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2989&p=8

@ poton12

Both DDR2 DDR3 cost almost the same, and as pointed out earlier by ahstpk and by looking into websites there is performance difference.

Very few can afford to buy a i7 system. So if somone wants to buy a core 2 system, then you could buy a core2 mobo with DDR3 support. Go to Galaxy.pk you will find a mobo there of such sort. Hence DDR3 is not a complete waste of money.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2989&p=8

[/quote]

but man there is a hell lot of difference in mobo prices…u can get a decent ddr2 supported mobo under 5k…why do u want to throw 8 to 10k extra on mobo when ddr2 n ddr3 wil perform at the same level or just 1 to 2 % performance gain…whts the point of buyin a ddr3 supported mobo with a core 2 duo keepin in mind u cant equip core i7 with this mobo later :mad: !!!

@poton12

This is off-topic, but congratulations on your 1000 posts :)

@poton12

This is off-topic, but congratulations on your 1000 posts :)

[/quote]

Thnx man :D