DD-WRT on Linksys wrt54g2 Help?

HEy can any body help me which dd wrt version should i install on my linksys wrt54g2 router

mico

micro plus

or micro plus ssh

without further ado, yes immediately!

micro-plus is okay

Try their forums at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

What are the advantages of using a custom firmware (that's what DD-WRT is, right?).

I also have linksys WRT54G2, and I heard that DD-WRT will let you see the monthly bandwidth consumed from the router.

But I have also heard that there are risks associated with a custom firmware (like bricking?)..

Any guidance from those who know about this issue, or have done this will be appreciated.

@ nab yeh there are chances u may brick ur router its complicated process

@bon homie have u loaded custom firmware if yes can u post the steps or guide me

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

What are the advantages of using a custom firmware (that’s what DD-WRT is, right?).

I also have linksys WRT54G2, and I heard that DD-WRT will let you see the monthly bandwidth consumed from the router.

But I have also heard that there are risks associated with a custom firmware (like bricking?)…

Any guidance from those who know about this issue, or have done this will be appreciated.

[/quote]

Custom firmware gives you more control over your router, which isn’t offered by default firmware.

You may read this http://www.net-tools.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=31

I have this DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro - build 10709M NEWD Eko, on WRT54G2

[/quote]

What packages are ava for this vers ?

Is this your ver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT#Releases

@ nab yeh there are chances u may brick ur router its complicated process

@bon homie have u loaded custom firmware if yes can u post the steps or guide me

[/quote]

I’m using std version because I have different router with higher memory and cpu.

I’ve used wrt54g2 before for about 2 years with dd-wrt and it worked ace.

Follow this detailed written wiki > http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2

Follow instructions as written on wiki and DO NOT DO NOT skip any step or else you’ll end up bricking your router.

happy unleashing performance of your routeria!

[/quote]

how itz working

I’m using std version because I have different router with higher memory and cpu.

I’ve used wrt54g2 before for about 2 years with dd-wrt and it worked ace.

Follow this detailed written wiki > http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2

Follow instructions as written on wiki and DO NOT DO NOT skip any step or else you’ll end up bricking your router.

happy unleashing performance of your routeria!

[/quote]

bonhomie i ve installed on it DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro.

should i update to any other or its ok i m new to it so plz guide me is this stable version or i should upgrade to another version

Kongrats mate, as long as it works fine you really don't need to update it unless something really big drops in as an update though keep an eye on their forum. Micro is the only flavor your router supports which pretty much contains all the basic necessary features and you don't need those extras unless you're really into them. For differences checkout the wiki link mentioned by "yousaf465.

Also check what revision is your router.

capturejjt.th.jpg

thanks for ur reply my version of router is wrt 54g2 v 1

in micro vch build version should i go for now i m having dd-wrt.v24-10709_NEWD_micro.bin

^ you sure that's not too much for the router that has very little ram/flash?

yeah I'm sure, I have tested it, the router still has enough free RAM to operate fast.

Even in DD-WRT its written that 4096 is default value, but when you install DD-WRT or do a factory reset, it sets it to 512.

I keep it 2048 because sometimes connections reach around 1500+

my settings

capturehe.png

i have changed to 4096

after ddwrt i m facing abit slow browsing y is tat so... Omar r u facing it too

nop, after DD-WRT, I felt browsing to be faster.

btw, I have disabled many services that take up RAM and slow down router.

+ setting maximum ports to 4096, reserves/waster a lot of RAM, which never gets used.

so set it according to your requirements, 1024 is usually enough.

I have disabled, these services

->Telnet Management

->Cron

->802.1x

->Routing

->DNSMasq (this uses significant amount of processor time and RAM)

->Syslogd

->WAN Traffic Counter (ttradd Daemon)

->WMM support for WLAN

->NTP Client

so alot of free memory :D

+ are you using your DSL Modem in bridge mode or not ? its better to use DSL Modem in bridge mode, and make PPPoE connection in your WRT54G2

omar naeem where z this routing and wmm support for wlan didnt find it rest i disabled

i should on or off firewall???

and my connection is on auto dhcp