Data logging

what type of hardware and software I will need to log data from Morning star Ts-45 which is equipped with Rs-232 on to a laptop.

IMHO I will need the following

• Serial cable
  • Serial to USb adapter.

for reference see TriStar applications guide

Sample configurations for
Data Acquisition and Remote Monitoring of PV systems
Morningstar
Product Connectivity Manual

Yousaf,

You don't need any hardware just WINDOWS98/XP running on a vintage computer. You will only need DB9/25 Three Wires RS232 Cable which costs about Rs. 100.

However if you still want to go the ultra-modern route, try the link below

http://download.cnet.com/RS232-Data-Logger/3000-2094_4-10497745.html

On sourceforge.net you should find a lot of free software which will capture the data to an EXCEL sheet.

One word of caution. RS232 to USB converters mis-behave sometimes in such applications. Normally there is no problem, but if you find erratic data which has no other explanation, remember to check out this aspect.

I suggest that you start with a desktop with an RS232 port. Any old P1 will do. Use TERMINAL. You can see the exchange of data in real time. Once you gain confidence then shift to laptop.

Aurangzeb

well, the TS itself loges data for one month. If you have connected the RM2 monitor, you can very easily see it and even have the full control of CC along with all of the important values. I am using RM2 with TS45-MPPT and really like it.

Just a glimpse, you can get A,Watt,Wh,kWh,battery volt, and few others too daily basis and the last 30days are stored too.

RM2 can be installed far away from CC say 25meter on an easy accessible place.

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:2, topic:21084”]

Yousaf,

You don’t need any hardware just WINDOWS98/XP running on a vintage computer. You will only need DB9/25 Three Wires RS232 Cable which costs about Rs. 100.

However if you still want to go the ultra-modern route, try the link below

http://download.cnet.com/RS232-Data-Logger/3000-2094_4-10497745.html

On sourceforge.net you should find a lot of free software which will capture the data to an EXCEL sheet.

One word of caution. RS232 to USB converters mis-behave sometimes in such applications. Normally there is no problem, but if you find erratic data which has no other explanation, remember to check out this aspect.

I suggest that you start with a desktop with an RS232 port. Any old P1 will do. Use TERMINAL. You can see the exchange of data in real time. Once you gain confidence then shift to laptop.

Aurangzeb

[/quote]I have old laptop which remains on 24x7 (for skype and torrents) so that is why I wanted to use it.

For software, I will try all those including the official “MSview” http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MSView-1.5.22.0.zip

with unofficial themes http://sgtechnology.no-ip.org/download/sg_view_151.zip

or unofficial MODBUS software

http://westyd1982.wordpress.com/

I will post a screenshot in few hours time InsAllah. haven’t bought the controller.

Can’t I convert a RS-232 connection to Ethernet connection ?

As for P1 I do have a old PIII but don’t have a working display for it :wacko:

[quote=“tufail_74, post:3, topic:21084”]

well, the TS itself loges data for one month. If you have connected the RM2 monitor, you can very easily see it and even have the full control of CC along with all of the important values. I am using RM2 with TS45-MPPT and really like it.

Just a glimpse, you can get A,Watt,Wh,kWh,battery volt, and few others too daily basis and the last 30days are stored too.

RM2 can be installed far away from CC say 25meter on an easy accessible place.

[/quote]

Rm2 costs like Rs9K and it data isn’t as freely usable compared to what we get with a PC. :)

In the manual it mentions

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

There have been reports that some USB to Serial adapters do not work with Morningstar products.
This is most often because the adapter output voltage is below the RS-232 electrical specification.
If the adapter does not output a high enough voltage, there is little the user can do to
remedy the situation aside from purchasing a new adapter with the proper output voltage levels.
The Tripp Lite U209-000-R adapter described in Subsection 2.2.8 has been verified to work
with all Morningstar products.

NOTE: RS-232 line boosters are available which
will amplify the signal voltage to the proper RS-232
specifications. These can be found online or in most
electronics stores"
[/quote]

[quote=“yousaf465, post:4, topic:21084”]

I have old laptop which remains on 24x7 (for skype and torrents) so that is why I wanted to use it.

For software, I will try all those including the official "MSview" http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MSView-1.5.22.0.zip

[/quote]

The older laptops did have an RS232 port until USB phased that port out completely. Maybe your laptop has one.

Don get into MODBUS for now. It is very good but it is an industrial standard. I have used it in a PLC environment but not with PCs. It is very robust but at least I won't be much help if you get stuck.

Ethernet is also OK. In fact I would keep it as the ultimate goal for connectivity. However it is trickier than RS232. Yes converters between the two protocols are available. However I am not sure whether these can be found locally.

To emulate the Morning star you can use a RS232 virtual port freeware. The freeware will create a virtual port on the same PC on which you are going to run the main data collection software. You can send dummy data from the freeware and see the performance of the main software.

Aurangzeb

The CC connects directly to MSView and gives lots of info.

BTW, can you tell us what data you want and what is purpose of logging?

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:6, topic:21084”]

The older laptops did have an RS232 port until USB phased that port out completely. Maybe your laptop has one.

Don get into MODBUS for now. It is very good but it is an industrial standard. I have used it in a PLC environment but not with PCs. It is very robust but at least I won't be much help if you get stuck.

Ethernet is also OK. In fact I would keep it as the ultimate goal for connectivity. However it is trickier than RS232. Yes converters between the two protocols are available. However I am not sure whether these can be found locally.

To emulate the Morning star you can use a RS232 virtual port freeware. The freeware will create a virtual port on the same PC on which you are going to run the main data collection software. You can send dummy data from the freeware and see the performance of the main software.

Aurangzeb

[/quote]

It is an inspiron 6000 laptop which doesn't have any serial port. :(

It does have a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

Builtin Ethernet is ava. in highest end morning star models e.g Ts-MPPT-60. which is ava. for upwards of Rs 60K if I import on my own.

[quote="tufail_74, post:7, topic:21084"]

The CC connects directly to MSView and gives lots of info.

BTW, can you tell us what data you want and what is purpose of logging?

[/quote]

yes, but you have to connect your PC to the CC either through a Rs-232 serial port or use a Ethernet connection (in case of TS-MPPT-60)

[quote=“yousaf465, post:8, topic:21084”]

It is an inspiron 6000 laptop which doesn't have any serial port. :(

It does have a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

Builtin Ethernet is ava. in highest end morning star models e.g Ts-MPPT-60. which is ava. for upwards of Rs 60K if I import on my own.

sure yousaf that is basic requirement of logging that you need something to connect to log. I just gave you option also whatever you use as logger will be connected.

yes, but you have to connect your PC to the CC either through a Rs-232 serial port or use a Ethernet connection (in case of TS-MPPT-60)

[/quote]

sure yousaf that is basic requirement of logging that you need something to connect to log. I just gave you option also whatever you use as logger will be connected.

I could not understand what you wanna mention with "yes, but you have to connect" .

[quote=“tufail_74, post:10, topic:21084”]

I could not understand what you wanna mention with "yes, but you have to connect" .

[/quote]

I meant you have to connect it physically through a wire either using a Rs-232 link or a Ethernet link

cheers :)