CyberDSL - Has it already started to disappear?

Recently, I have observed some silence regarding Cyber DSL. No complains yet I don't see anyone praising it either. The Broadband service providers that are in the news are PTCL, MAXCOM, WATEEN and the recently launched LINKDOTNET, heck you even see people talk about Worldcall but it seems that CyberDSL users are either not great in number or perhaps they are having no problems with their service and/or CyberDSL is becoming a thing of the past already?

Your thoughts and opinion on this?

Cyber has always been a big player in the ISP industry. I doubt they'll give up without a fight. They might be getting ready to announce new packages. On the other hand, competition is heating up and the market will start to shed some of the weaker ISP's who won't be able to keep up. I don't think Cyber is one of them though.

I dunno, been using CyberDSL since October 2007 and I've faced exactly zero problems with it. Even customer support is good (I once mucked up my modem). I am hoping they'll introduce new packages, because new packages by PTCL are very good.

But I get really good latency with EU Blizzard Servers, so I play WoW very well thanks to the connection.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Recently, I have observed some silence regarding Cyber DSL. No complains yet I don’t see anyone praising it either. The Broadband service providers that are in the news are PTCL, MAXCOM, WATEEN and the recently launched LINKDOTNET, heck you even see people talk about Worldcall but it seems that CyberDSL users are either not great in number or perhaps they are having no problems with their service and/or CyberDSL is becoming a thing of the past already?

Your thoughts and opinion on this?

[/quote]

in my point of view they are dealing with more co-operate customer rather the on consumer side , and i think the number of users are not comparable to PTCL, LINKdotNET, wateen . if i m wrong do correct me.

and yes if cyber is a big player then they should throw their card i think , but let see :) in a 2-3 months new changes and new things i m expecting from different ISPs.

Lets see, Cyber came into the market after Maxcom, before PTCL yet introduced packages that were more expensive than the going standard. They picked up barely any market share as a result. Then Link.Net came and stole the spotlight, only to be one upped by PTCL. During all that has transpired, Cyber has barely made a peep and let the momentum slide.

Why is it critical for these companies to get in early? Because once you are signed up with a particular provider, it usually takes either absolutely terrible service or a massive shift in the market for you to jump ship and sign up with someone else. As you have all seen, when one ISP reduces prices, the others follow suit, so there is little to none jumping from one ISP to another. What this means for Cyber is that they have been effectively locked out of the market completely...such that they are NOT and cannot be a player within the residential DSL service sector.

The sad part is that 2-3 years from now DSL will be the defacto form of internet access and CyberNet, the trail blazer of internet services in Pakistan, will be nowhere to be seen because they were afraid to challenge the defacto standard and take a risk (endanger their bread and butter services).

A classic case of terrible management.

I think the time for rap up for small scaled isp has come..... that may include the MBL and MAXCOM. Their limit is only their cities in which they operate on the shoulders of PTCL.

I have been experiencing Maxcom's compromised performance for the last month... CONSTANTLY and it seems that it's getting hard for Maxcom guys to handle things already BUT, they are still far better than Cyber.net which has presence in other cities of Pakistan

I used Cyber DSL for 3 years - I think it's been the best ISP I've used so far. Switched to Maxcom because it was half the price - and now it's about a third of Cybernet's price - while Cyber is still at the same rates for the last 4 years!

In my experience, Cybernet was better than Maxcom in terms of latency and reliability.

For consumers, price is enough to switch, but Cybernet has a large share in the corporate market, which is not going to switch over a minor price difference.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I used Cyber DSL for 3 years - I think it’s been the best ISP I’ve used so far. Switched to Maxcom because it was half the price - and now it’s about a third of Cybernet’s price - while Cyber is still at the same rates for the last 4 years!

In my experience, Cybernet was better than Maxcom in terms of latency and reliability.

For consumers, price is enough to switch, but Cybernet has a large share in the corporate market, which is not going to switch over a minor price difference.

[/quote]

Yes I think you’re right. Being one of the pioneers who have long been considered the best I’d assume a lot of the corporations who switched to broadband initially went with Cybernet. And corporate packages are always custom tailored to suit the companys needs. There are also some other ISP’s who consumers may not be familiar with but who have a fair share of corporate customers (Habib Rafiq International?).

I am not arguing that Cyber Net is on the verge of collapse; it is well known that Cyber has significant market share in the business segments and that for the large part, is still their bread and butter. What I am arguing however, is that Cyber has missed the boat with respect to residential DSL.

Simply stated, those who *really* wanted residential DSL / Broadband services have already jumped on board with one of the other providers and are unlikely jump ship again.

That being said, Cyber still has a significant advantage in the sense that they have a (somewhat) captive user base in their dial up subscribers, which they can hopefully "up-sell" their DSL services too. CyberNet also has the added advantage of nation-wide presence, better-than-average reputation and significant retail presence.

It remains to be seen however, if they are able to turn around their residential DSL / Broadband services portfolio. I *know* for a fact, that the management of CyberNet is very *concerned* with their current market position. I just have yet to see any sign of life from them.

@zeeshan: you need to contact Maxcom (as I stated in the Maxcom thread) and try to resolve your problem from there. Last I checked, you weren't being help captive by Maxcom, so go ahead and leverage your right as a discerning consumer and change your provider if they are unable to resolve the issue to *your* satisfaction.