Custom duties on digital camera so high!

Does anyone know how much you have to pay tax on importing digital camera of value 200$?

i am asked to pay about 38% include GST of a total value.

according to this news traders of photography and camera equipment are getting charging too much tax by customs for no reason.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=48132&Cat=3&dt=5/21/2011

anyone have contacts of custom office here in karachi whom i can talk to?

Thanks

why u wanna pay tax? :P

ask someone to bring that camera for u :D

NO TAX .. NO TENSION .. Chill Mahol :lol:

I dont have relatives abroid but tax is confirmed by customs to be 38%. i have to give it anyway otherwise they will keep my 400$ camera under valued to 150$ lol.

Custom duty : 10%

GST tax : 17%

Income tax : 6%

all others taxes combine 38%.

Beware if your importing cameras :).

My friend is bringing me a digital cam from USA. I have asked him to hand carry it in the pouch and keep the box in his suitcase. Will duty be charged ? Or shd I ask him to throw away the box altogether ?

[quote=“paradigm, post:4, topic:14652”]

My friend is bringing me a digital cam from USA. I have asked him to hand carry it in the pouch and keep the box in his suitcase. Will duty be charged ? Or shd I ask him to throw away the box altogether ?

[/quote]

no need to throw away that box :)

Just keep that box in the suitcase… nothing will happen to him…

he can bring unopened Camera as well :) he can tell them that this is gift for someone or koi kahani daal do yaar…

My Cousin brought Unused laptop for me and nothing happened! :>

sakoon say use kar raha hun ab :D

Nothing will Happen InshaALLAH ;) Have faith B)

Sumair :(

then buy that camera from Pakistan :) they will give u warranty as well ;) what else u want? hehe :D

Don't you guys understand? He's already bought it and wants to free it from the clutches of the customs department. I read somewhere that you need the help of shipping agents if you want to avoid paying high rates.

Ye i already bought it and camera is lumix LX5 thats i have to buy it from USA. i always pay taxes but when i heard about 38% i was shocked to be honest.

exact percentage on computer items anyone??

casings

psu

if you bring such equipment like laptops, cameras etc in bulk, then you've to pay the tax otherwise there is no tax for personal use equipment. its not a problem if you've one camera or a laptop... you don't have to pay the tax.. just don't mention that you are gonna sell it in pakistan.. tell them that its for personal use... secondly.. electronics like TV AC refrigerator or microwave oven.. tax implies on stuff like that.

38 percent is too much.... i bought two DSLRs from dubai and they were in my hands on airport and no one asked about them... same went for my laptops ... they never ask about cameras and laptop and mobiles on Islamabad Airport.... but for laptops they might ask you to turn them on and put da password... happened to me once.

i agree, customs r too high

bro buy from pishawar bara bazar..........

[quote=“Ammar77, post:13, topic:14652”]

bro buy from pishawar bara bazar…

[/quote]

I live in Lahore and i am planning a trip to Peshawar to go to Bara Market, will it be safe for a stranger?