Creating Virtual Ram

Is there any way to create virtual ram just like virtual drives. I know how to create a page file in xp but it wont work for a specific requirements of any software.

RAM modules are so cheap these days. Why not add "physical" RAM to increase RAM in "real"?

^ thats pretty much the only solution the only reason why you cant create ram "virtually" is because real RAM has alot more speed than even the best hard disks you can buy to date

I was just wondering, tech has advanced so much. I just wanted to know if there was something like that. And for sure buying a ram modules nowadays is no a problem at all. But it remians wonder if there is such a thing!!!

u already have virtual RAM

the "PAGE file" is virtual ram

to manage it go to

my computer properties>advanced>performance>settings>advanced>virtual memory

change it to as much as u want....

^ that wont help much say a game needs 1 gig of ram and ur computer has just 512 mb

even increasing the page file to 8 gb wont help u play the game the page file is just a temporary cache to store commonly used data

^

page files is KINDA ram with the slow transfer speed of hard disk...

if u have a fast hard disk then your virual memory helps...

believe me.....

^ Believe me as well, it won't help in most cases. You might get away with editing a large image in Photoshop etc, but your computer will become really slow as it still requires the RAM to bypass the data to the page file anyway, and accessing that big file continuously slows down whatever you are doing even more. On top of this Windows has a bad habit of starting to utilize the page file even if physical RAM is still free.

Its like loading a khota rehri with half truck-load of stuff, and expecting it to get to the destination just as quickly.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ Believe me as well, it won’t help in most cases. You might get away with editing a large image in Photoshop etc, but your computer will become really slow as it still requires the RAM to bypass the data to the page file anyway, and accessing that big file continuously slows down whatever you are doing even more. On top of this Windows has a bad habit of starting to utilize the page file even if physical RAM is still free.

Its like loading a khota rehri with half truck-load of stuff, and expecting it to get to the destination just as quickly.

[/quote]

now i get it if there is something like that it won’t help. Thanxssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Technology did got advanced but in forward direction, not in backward direction. Fooling softwares by adding HDD space as physical RAM is backward, not forward direction. :)

@ruhaan jslip

That's right. Pagefile/Swapfile is for multi-tasking of ordinary softwares (which don't ask for permanent space in memory). If a game or software is asking for real physical RAM then they won't be satisfied with no-matter-what size of Pagefile.

@Asad-Ahmad

LOL. Nice example :lol:

Well increasing the virtual ram size, doesnt help.

I used to have 256mb RAM, and I used to play wow on it, the game jerked alot. So then I copied wow on one drive and the page file was on another drive. (two different harddisks), and then WOW used to run a bit better.

Well I want to know one thing why when you have more RAM, mostly operating systems will increase your page file size too ?? and usually the page file size is double the RAM size

I have 784mb RAM, I dont use any ram intensive applications, nor I play games that would take memory more than 400mb

+ I keep all unused services and drivers etc disabled, and I dont do much multi tasking too

+ As im on laptop my harddisk is 5400rpm

+ More the harddisk spins, quicker battery loses charge

Wont it be better if I disable page file, or reduce its size.