CPU usage 100% - Nothing wrong according to Task Manager

I am facing this problem since 2 days now, While browsing , Watching videos or playing games etc, CPU usage suddenly shoots to 100% and remains there until restart, the task manager doesn't show any thing fishy - all apps are normal. :( any help?

-Windows 7

-Core i 3 -1st Gen

-ATI HD 1 GB card.

In the Task Manager,click "Processes" tab. Here the %age CPU usage by each process is shown. Check which process is using the highest CPU time. Right click on that and chose "End Process" to verify that CPU usage has decreased.

same thing happened to my pc, didnt have a anti virus so i installed a antivirus software. The software found a bunch of viruses on my system so instead of wasting my time, formated and installed a fresh windows. The result was no more problems ever since

@MZC install Process Explorer

OR Process Hacker

It'll tell you exactly which thread is the culprit.

P.S @Jack, I wonder how people are able to use system without a proper security :o

[quote=", post:2, topic:16059"]

In the Task Manager,click “Processes” tab. Here the %age CPU usage by each process is shown. Check which process is using the highest CPU time. Right click on that and chose “End Process” to verify that CPU usage has decreased.

[/quote]

Already told you every thing is normal there.

I guess it was all because of ATI GPU, uninstalled the drivers for it and Laptop is running fine :( Installed Arkham Asylum some days ago. May be it corrupted the drivers?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am facing this problem since 2 days now, While browsing , Watching videos or playing games etc, CPU usage suddenly shoots to 100% and remains there until restart, the task manager doesn’t show any thing fishy - all apps are normal. :( any help?

-Windows 7

-Core i 3 -1st Gen

-ATI HD 1 GB card.

[/quote]

You mentioned only Apps, not the running processes so I thought you might have just looked at Apps

If every thing in Task Manager looks normal, where do you see the 100% usage ? in the task bar tray ?

Install Norton antivirus/internet security. It automatically prompts up for the highest resource consumer, software/virus/etc. Then you can kill the resources or limit them for that thing. Just give it a try. Also scan your whole system with it to grab possible viruses.

Kindly check your processor's heat sink if it is rightly adjusted..... or fan is doing it's work fine? sometime using a blower can help it....

alam shah, I do have a professional firewall which filters in and out going traffic and tells me if there is any suspicious activity on my pc. Have been doing this for 20 years now and so far I have very little problems. I do get a virus once in a while but my firewall warns me of this suspicious behavior so I am able to catch it in time.

I feel that there is no need for a antivirus on your system unless you are using torrents, or go to malicious websites. If you are just checking your email, browse safe websites, use a lot genuine/shareware software then you should only install a antivirus if you feel your system is doing something odd (random start ups or system slowdown and such). Others may disagree with me but I feel you should install a antivirus software only if you detect something is wrong. You should rather depend more on a professional level firewall on your system which prevents virus/malicious software from installing or spreading.

^ Agreed with jack, firewall is a better solution as compared to Antivirus, just make sure you don't use USB's plugged out from other computers :)

yup same thing happened to me too i got second gen i7, the moment i stopped opening propakistan.pk my computer CPU level went back to normal.

@JacK

[quote="jack, post:3, topic:16059"]

didnt have a anti virus so i installed a antivirus software. The software found a bunch of viruses on my system

[/quote]

That was my point ^_^

@MZC you appeared to me as also not using any proper antivirus protection, Check your system with one, and you'll see the difference :P

[quote=“kamran1x1, post:12, topic:16059”]

yup same thing happened to me too i got second gen i7, the moment i stopped opening propakistan.pk my computer CPU level went back to normal.

[/quote]

:D

[quote=“kamran1x1, post:12, topic:16059”]

[/quote]

hmmm, that means your computer can’t stand against pure awesomeness? ^_^

[quote=", post:13, topic:16059"]

@MZC you appeared to me as also not using any proper antivirus protection, Check your system with one, and you’ll see the difference :P

[/quote]

Naa! I am using industry’s best protection software :)

[quote=", post:15, topic:16059"]

hmmm, that means your computer can’t stand against pure awesomeness? ^_^

[/quote]

so i guess that very pure makes you spend more time here at WP forum than there…

For the least annoyance, use Microsoft security essentials. You won't even notice its there. Its a very decent and extremely light weight AV scanner.