Cooler Master CM690 casing

I finally got one of these casings from Micrographics (Thanks a lot, Umer!!!). It took me some time shifting the mobo and other stuff to it from the older generic casing but its finally done. Whew.... My back is aching because of bending over it for shifting the stuff but it is an enjoyable kind of aching... :D

Temps seem ok. I have had to leave an HDD unconnected because my mobo only has 4 SATA ports. The larger 120mm fans (I used 80mm fans previously) create lesser noise and its quiter now... no vibrations, no fan noise, etc.

I also upgraded my PSU to Corsair 620HX modular PSU. Power to the system is much better now and finally, USB devices are getting enough power to work without a hitch. My previous PSU was giving dangerously low voltages on the 12V and 5V rails resulting in erratic behavior from USB devices and HDDs. The PSU is made by Seasonic for Corsair. It is one of the best in its class. My target is to use it for 4-5 years at least. My generic Chinese PSU was giving 11.38V on the 12V rail and 4.3V on the 5V rail. My PC wasn't even able to detect and use WD Passport drive. First I was looking at CM 550W and 600W PSUs but issues have been reported with them for excessively high return rates and fan noise so I went all out with the Corsair. I can definitely say I am extremely satisfied with its performance. :D

Pictures of the set up are below. The North Bridge heatsink/fan has been removed since the fan was dead and heating up due to excessive current passing through it. Passive cooling is OK for it so I will be putting the heat sink back after putting some heat sink paste on it.

cm6901.jpg

cm6903.jpg

cm6902.jpg

Another positive point for this casing: the TV card slid easily into the slot. On both of my previous casings, I had to force the card into the casing recess because the antenna connector hit the edge and needed quite a bit of force for the card to be pushed into place. Not so with this casing! :)

It's a tool-less casing so no need to tighten screws to add or remove HDDs or DVD drives.

Some pics from CM website:

file1187753335526.jpgfile1186042041465.jpg

file1200974097315.jpgfile1200974051786.jpg

file1200974064100.jpgfile1200974087573.jpg

file1185977183177.jpgfile1185977137709.jpg

file1193641335266.jpg

Coming to the cost aspect, the casing cost me PKR6500 and the PSU cost me PKR9900 from Islamabad.

If any one else has got this casing, please share your experience with it regarding the fans, vibration, cable layout or any other stuff. I would love to get some alternative viewpoints or feedback from someone else who has got it and has been using it for some time.

I forgot to take some frontal snaps. See the link below for product details:

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2908

The gallery link having its pictures is on the same page.

10k for a PSU? Yikes! I have the cooler master 450W

It's modular, has active PFC, 80%+ efficiency and loads of other features. Also, it's one of the top products in its class so yeah... it is expensive. However, it's not an everyday purchase. This one should last a couple years at least. Read up on the specs:

http://www.corsair.com/products/hx/default.aspx

I considered Cooler Master's (non-modular) PSUs but they are noisy and have a high warranty return rate.

yes i have a non-modular one.

@Asad

Wow! Congratulations Asad. It sounds and looks very cool. :)

Show some front images. Does this motherboard have multiple LEDs on it (norms these days)? If so then turn on this machine and snap some images of motherboards (with LEDs turned on) :)

Congrats to u Asad.I've seen it front-on it looks cool,especially in dark.

I am planning to buy the same casing probably with ASUS 550W P-55GA.Can you post screens from speedfan or other so i can get an idea of how good it is(temps).

You seem to have market research so tell me howz my psu gonna hold up.IT has PFC active and 80% efficient.I mean they don't have high warranty return.

never big fan of casings and lights type of stuff but you got a killer PSU thats for sure. a very well 9900 spent. i wanted to get it too but ran out of money and had to buy cooler master 600W for 5000. but i will say it your casing is not a show-off type and looks simple and very grace full.

can u post full specs of your pc plz just curios :)

^ Yeah post your cpu specs :D

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@Asad

Wow! Congratulations Asad. It sounds and looks very cool. :)

[/quote]

Thanks.

Show some front images. Does this motherboard have multiple LEDs on it (norms these days)? If so then turn on this machine and snap some images of motherboards (with LEDs turned on) :)
[/quote]

Here’s one but the details aren’t fully visible due to camera limitation:

cm6904.jpg

There is only one LED on the motherboard. It’s one of MSI’s older (3-4 years atleast) SLI mobo on an AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Congrats to u Asad.I’ve seen it front-on it looks cool,especially in dark.
[/quote]

Yeah, but normal low resolution cameras can’t capture that image in all its details. It does looks good in the dark. The only qualm I have with it are the fans. If I disconnect the fan on the side panel, it is very silent. However, connecting that fan produces a buzzing sound which is a bit irritating. I think it might be due to two fans pushing the air in and only one pushing it out. For good cooling, outflow > inflow. I will get some more fans to test out this theory…

I am planning to buy the same casing probably with ASUS 550W P-55GA.Can you post screens from speedfan or other so i can get an idea of how good it is(temps).
[/quote]

That ASUS PSU is from Delta Electronics. And it uses a Yate Loon 120mm fan which is good. However, be warned that the effective wattage of that PSU is about 400W. Read up more in this review.

As far as temps go, the system temp is 34 degrees Celsius and the CPU temp is 37 degrees Celsius. Seems a good reduction from my previous temps in older casing which were around or above 40 degrees Celsius.

You seem to have market research so tell me howz my psu gonna hold up.IT has PFC active and 80% efficient.I mean they don’t have high warranty return.
[/quote]

That PSU will cost you PKR5.8K at least. Considering the review linked above and real delivered wattage, it is not delivering the rated power for such a high price. I haven’t seen it being recommended much. The high warranty return rates for Cooler Master PSUs is for the 500W and 600W versions. The 460W version is supposedly OK in that regard. I know many people are using the 500W and 600W PSUs without any issues so you can always try your luck with them.

never big fan of casings and lights type of stuff but you got a killer PSU thats for sure. a very well 9900 spent. i wanted to get it too but ran out of money and had to buy cooler master 600W for 5000. but i will say it your casing is not a show-off type and looks simple and very grace full.
[/quote]

Yeah. The word I would use is ‘sober’. I like the simplicity and all black exterior.

can u post full specs of your pc plz just curios :)
[/quote]

It’s an old PC. Brief specs are as under:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI motherboard

1GB DDR400 Kingston RAM

Corsair 620HX Modular PSU

MSI 6600GT/XFX 8600GT graphic card (I change the cards between this and another PC as needed)

1 x MSI TV@nywhere Master TV card

3 x Seagate 7200.7 80GB HDDs (only one connected right now - rest I am considering putting into RAID)

1 x Seagate 7200.12 500GB HDD

1 x WD 250GB HDD

1 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB HDD (not connected - data backups)

1 x Samsung Spinpoint SP2004C 200GB HDD (not connected)

1 x ASUS 2014S1T 20X SATA DVD Writer

:o dude you are really in love with hard disks why you need so much space. yeah with so much hard disks you should speed up things with RAID.

When one downloads data 24/7 and has lots of licensed software, one needs the space. :)

It’s modular, has active PFC, 80%+ efficiency and loads of other features. Also, it’s one of the top products in its class so yeah… it is expensive. However, it’s not an everyday purchase. This one should last a couple years at least. Read up on the specs:

http://www.corsair.com/products/hx/default.aspx

I considered Cooler Master’s (non-modular) PSUs but they are noisy and have a high warranty return rate.

[/quote]

yes but for the system u mentioned its hardly needed :)

i have a athlon 64 3700+

80GB Samsung Spinpoint HD

160GB WD HD

500GB Seagate HD

Geforce 7900GS

2 Optical Drives.

^ I won't be keeping the same system for the next couple of years but I will be keeping the supply.

The HDDs, once they are all there, will require significant power and cooling (hence more fans) which will all require a higher wattage PSU and 620W fits the bill nicely.

Can anybody else using this same casing share their experiences with it or any tips?

^ Glad to be of help! :)

Pressing the side panel doesn't affect the buzzing sound. Covering the fan holes does. I could try rubber spacers to reduce side panel vibration but I don't think that is the issue. CM690 fans have been known to be of lower quality. They should be relatively cheap to replace if I can find alternatives from Rawalpindi.

Hi Asad plz tell me on which shop to buy you this Corsair 620HX modular PSU ?

I got it from Micrographics/Media Intl. on Fazl-e-Haq road behind Blue Area. It is in the NHSP plaza next to Rahat Bakers (while going in the direction of PM secretariat). Ask for Umer. You can mention my ID to him.