Convert IDE hard disk into USB 2.0 Hard disk! IS it possible?

i have a ide hard which i use for transferring data from my friends

i wana know if there is any cenverter by which i can make my ide hard a usb hard disk and then it works as a portable hard drive...

and no need to turn off pc b4 conecting it...

It's possible, but you'll need to buy a USB enclosure for the drive. I'm not sure of the price, but I think they should be about Rs.1000.

Yes, u can get a cable called IDE/SATA to USB converter. Its available at www.galaxy.pk/price.htm chk it in usb accessories section.

Good enclosures can be had for about Rs.1500. Cheaper ones die soon after purchase.

yes u can....u need to buy something named usb jacket not sure abt name...n i think it costs 600rs

hmmmmm well i got a very good enclosure for 500 and its working flawlessly, day in and out no problem whatsoever

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hmmmmm well i got a very good enclosure for 500 and its working flawlessly, day in and out no problem whatsoever
[/quote]

what brand ?

I bought Alpha SATA case 3 weeks ago, I am having trouble with it, sometimes HDD disconnect abruptly. Might have to buy new one, thats why want to know yours brand. Also what is the maximum HDD size that it can support.

Go for converter its much better than using HDD casing.

whatever u get u'll have to power the hdd externally since usb port wont be able to handle that much power requirement

i have a laptop hdd connected via usb and it needs 2 usb ports to power it up properly.

i also use an ide-to-usb converter for ide drives but have to power the drive using external adaptor.

to make it short i think u need an external ide-usb enclosure :P