Contents of Breads available in Tandoors? Anybody have details?

Hello. I am interested in the contents especially wheat contents comparatively of:

Nan

Khamiri Roti

Roti

Roghni Nan

If anybody have knowledge than please share. Thanks.

1 thing is must in all these things during summer

SWEAT of pathans.......

I will suggest you to better u go for personal visit to any Tandoor near by u and then see inside the Tandoor shop what they have and especially i ask u to see preparing for Nan,Roti etc.

I think u should ask to ur cook at ur home.

also please note when u go to any tandoor how they make a Roghani Nan,and see their wet brush with cooking oil they rub in a Simple Nan to make it Roghni

Dont ask if you want to eat.

^^ agree,

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

SWEAT of pathans…

[/quote]

haha LOL…

but its true…

Hello. I am interested in the contents especially wheat contents comparatively of:

Nan

Khamiri Roti

Roti

Roghni Nan

If anybody have knowledge than please share. Thanks.

[/quote]

Nan

Leavened bread with light touch of oil. Smaller diameter and thicker than Khamiri Roti.

Made of white-flour, raised with Sodium bicarbonate. Before wide spread of sodium bicarbonate, yeast was used and it produced very tasty bread. Some tandoor may still produce yeast nan, however, I do not find such anymore.

Roghni Nan

Same as Nan, but has more oil on top surface and sesame seeds.

Khamiri Roti

Leavened bread with high quantity of Sodium bicarbonate. Larger diameter than Nan. Made of very refine white-flour and higher gluten which made its texture like rubber.

So notorious, you can find it anywhere in Pakistan. But don’t eat too much. It has high level of sodium bicarbonate and can upset stomach. I can’t find anyone in Pakistan to make Kharmiri Roti in traditional way (using yeast) because it take too much time.

Pateeri Roti

Unleavened bread. Made of mixture of red and white wheat flour.

Same size of Khamiri Roti. Most tandoor made it but in less quantities as compare to Khamiri Roti. Much better than Khamiri Roti because sodium bicarbonate is not used in it.

Tawe Ki Roti

Unleavened bread. Diameter varies.

Usually made in homes of Pakistan, but also available in some hotels (in some road-side dhaba). Usually made of less refine white flour. Sometime flour is already mixed with red flour to reduce cost. Some Pakistani homes are now using full wheat flour too. Tasty when hot. However, in some homes do watch the salt content. Most of Pakistani women put 0.1% to 2% (even more higher) salt in flour to discourage natural yeast growth.

Ulte Tawe Ki Roti

Unleavened bread. Usually very large diameter (even larger than Khamiri Roti). Very thin (as compare to Tawe Ki Roti) because of gravity pulling while making.

If made properly and when it’s hot, it is very delicious and soft. Made in some homes and in some road-side hotels. Need experience and practice to make good roti.

Blochi Nomadic Roti

I am using very general term here. It is found in some nomadic tribes of Baluchistan and NWFP. It’s made when not near home but also made in homes. A stone (usually about 8 to 12 inches) is heated in coal. When it gets extremely hot, unleavened dough is put on stone and let it cook. Similar to damper but without NaHCO3.

Nomadic Coal Damper

Again I am using general term. Found in some tribes of Baluchistan and NWFP. It’s made when not near home (camping at night etc.) but also made in homes. Thick unleavened dough is place on hot coal and then cover with hot coals. When it is made, clean it to remove coal dust and eat.

Beyond NWFP and FATA Roti

Also sometime known as Afghani Roti. It is very large like 1 to 2 feet. Thick and very irregular in shape. Sometime it is leavened with NaHCO3 but mostly plain. It is cut with knife into 4 to 6 inches pieces before eating.

I have eaten these (maybe few more) types of Rotis in Pakistan.

But there are dozens and dozens types of breads which you can find in Tandoors and bakeries. Like small 3 inch leavened bread balls with sesame seeds, eaten with tea. You can also find Bakarkhani in some tandoor of Rawalpindi (in other cities too). There is huge variety of breads in Pakistan, all you need to do is to find, eat and enjoy. :)

Nan

Leavened bread with light touch of oil. Smaller diameter and thicker than Khamiri Roti.

Made of white-flour, raised with Sodium bicarbonate. Before wide spread of sodium bicarbonate, yeast was used and it produced very tasty bread. Some tandoor may still produce yeast nan, however, I do not find such anymore.

Roghni Nan

Same as Nan, but has more oil on top surface and sesame seeds.

Khamiri Roti

Leavened bread with high quantity of Sodium bicarbonate. Larger diameter than Nan. Made of very refine white-flour and higher gluten which made its texture like rubber.

So notorious, you can find it anywhere in Pakistan. But don’t eat too much. It has high level of sodium bicarbonate and can upset stomach. I can’t find anyone in Pakistan to make Kharmiri Roti in traditional way (using yeast) because it take too much time.

Pateeri Roti

Unleavened bread. Made of mixture of red and white wheat flour.

Same size of Khamiri Roti. Most tandoor made it but in less quantities as compare to Khamiri Roti. Much better than Khamiri Roti because sodium bicarbonate is not used in it.

Tawe Ki Roti

Unleavened bread. Diameter varies.

Usually made in homes of Pakistan, but also available in some hotels (in some road-side dhaba). Usually made of less refine white flour. Sometime flour is already mixed with red flour to reduce cost. Some Pakistani homes are now using full wheat flour too. Tasty when hot. However, in some homes do watch the salt content. Most of Pakistani women put 0.1% to 2% (even more higher) salt in flour to discourage natural yeast growth.

Ulte Tawe Ki Roti

Unleavened bread. Usually very large diameter (even larger than Khamiri Roti). Very thin (as compare to Tawe Ki Roti) because of gravity pulling while making.

If made properly and when it’s hot, it is very delicious and soft. Made in some homes and in some road-side hotels. Need experience and practice to make good roti.

Blochi Nomadic Roti

I am using very general term here. It is found in some nomadic tribes of Baluchistan and NWFP. It’s made when not near home but also made in homes. A stone (usually about 8 to 12 inches) is heated in coal. When it gets extremely hot, unleavened dough is put on stone and let it cook. Similar to damper but without NaHCO3.

Nomadic Coal Damper

Again I am using general term. Found in some tribes of Baluchistan and NWFP. It’s made when not near home (camping at night etc.) but also made in homes. Thick unleavened dough is place on hot coal and then cover with hot coals. When it is made, clean it to remove coal dust and eat.

Beyond NWFP and FATA Roti

Also sometime known as Afghani Roti. It is very large like 1 to 2 feet. Thick and very irregular in shape. Sometime it is leavened with NaHCO3 but mostly plain. It is cut with knife into 4 to 6 inches pieces before eating.

I have eaten these (maybe few more) types of Rotis in Pakistan.

But there are dozens and dozens types of breads which you can find in Tandoors and bakeries. Like small 3 inch leavened bread balls with sesame seeds, eaten with tea. You can also find Bakarkhani in some tandoor of Rawalpindi (in other cities too). There is huge variety of breads in Pakistan, all you need to do is to find, eat and enjoy. :)

[/quote]

Thanks. Your post was very informative. That “sweat” thing is disgusting.

Dont ask if you want to eat.
[/quote]

LOL :D hahah

SWEAT of pathans…

[/quote]

LOL! well they tandoor walas mix soda to nan, i dont know what it does but it results in more profit for them

@

Wampyr....

Thank you for sharing ur Chef Expertise (kidding) U R So Sweet...

SWEAT of pathans.......

[/quote]

Yumy......Yummy...... Hehhehhehe

SWEAT of pathans…

[/quote]

ahhh man cheeeee :lol:

haha LOL…

but its true…

[/quote]

but it taste really good…Yummy :)

Gross!

@ saabibrahim

the soda in naan make it swell and thus the size of nan is increased thus the nan looks big and the customer thinks that he has made a very good deal of his money for a big naan

but infact that poor quality meetha soda effects stomach and usually causes stomach disorders like loooooooooooose motions

@bagga,photon and pakiguy

1 thing is true that the naan tastes good but is is halal

as the blood of one momin is haram on other momin so similarly is the sweat of a human halal for other human :P

but fortunately our immunity has developed so much that these chotey motey amount of sweat doesnt makes any difference