Connecting Two Hard-Drives

I have DELL OPTIPLEX GX 270 and its user anual says that it can support only one IDE hard-drive,,

I have 40GB harddrive at present in it and I am going to have 250GB hard disk..So I want two harddrives working together...It could be possible but the manual says that it can support only one IDE device...I dont want to lose data on my present harddisk and discard it..What should I do...??

U can have more simple info about the manual of optiplex 270 at

http://www.dicom-info.com/dicom/dell-pc/GX270-Users-Guide/sddrives.htm

So what u people suggest after reading the manual instructions in the above link...???

I am not a very hardware savvy so help me out for this..

Well if the manual say it cant, it wont.

I havn't seen 2 hard disks on optiplex PCs by the way so im not sure.

but it isnt possible that it supports only one hard drive..It has a SATA connector too..So adding more hard drive may be the option!!!!

it is definitely possible just go to your nearest computer electronic shop an ask him to give you 2 way slot IDE cable just attach it to both of your HDs and plug it in the iDE slot thats it.....

^yes this could be the solution..I would have tried this if nothing worked out!!!!

do remember to adjust the master slave jumpers while doing that

Lolz you were using 1 way IDE cables :P

If you have SATA option in Board , go for SATA, forget IDE. The new boards nowadays have only 1 IDE slot, so u can only connect a hard drive and a CDROM in it , I know as I am suffering from it too. Do go for SATA. One more thing to look in hard disks is the speed version which you will find in the right top of the hard disk like 7200.11 . Make sure its 7200.10 or more.

Yes I do have SATA option in the mobo...I have IDE at present.

Will IDE and SATA work fine when used simultaneously...????It means that if I connect now 250GB SATA and I have also 40GB IDE working with it,there will be no problem...???

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Yes I do have SATA option in the mobo…I have IDE at present.

Will IDE and SATA work fine when used simultaneously…???It means that if I connect now 250GB SATA and I have also 40GB IDE working with it,there will be no problem…???

[/quote]

There shouldn’t b any problem with this arrangement.