Confusion about port forwarding

I've opened port on my router.

then used port checker to test and it shows that port is open. its for local ip i.e. 192.168.1.2:14000 and after that i tested it online on my external PTCL ip 116.163.xx.xx via canyouseeme.org it also shows your port is opened.

Iam confused how my external ip port (116.163.xx.xx) is opened while basically it was opened for local ip 192.168.1.2.

Specially i opened it for VLC streaming, is it possible to stream via external ip (116.163.xx.xx) to access that stream from internet?

--

Modern routers support uPnP. No need to manually forward ports anymore. I always get a green icon no matter what port I use. Check hte options UPnP in both torrent clients and VLC. Problem solved.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Modern routers support uPnP. No need to manually forward ports anymore. I always get a green icon no matter what port I use. Check hte options UPnP in both torrent clients and VLC. Problem solved.
[/quote]

Not Always for me.

I’ve opened port on my router.

then used port checker to test and it shows that port is open. its for local ip i.e. 192.168.1.2:14000 and after that i tested it online on my external PTCL ip 116.163.xx.xx via canyouseeme.org it also shows your port is opened.

Iam confused how my external ip port (116.163.xx.xx) is opened while basically it was opened for local ip 192.168.1.2.

Specially i opened it for VLC streaming, is it possible to stream via external ip (116.163.xx.xx) to access that stream from internet?

[/quote]

Well it depends is to why you needed to open up a port?

For torrenting? Playing games? or anything else?

I've already mentioned that i opened port for VLC player and its streaming fine with that port and stream can be accessed by HTTP method http://192.168.1.2:14000 on local network. I want to stream it over the internet from my external ip 116.163.xxx.xx. Is it possible?

I followed these instructions to open port and succeeded

http://wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8302

but i don't want to make a game server i want to make a VLC streaming link from my PC to internet so i coulde give my link to someone else to stream video on their PC. I hope I've explained enough to get the point :)

The thing is your external IP always changes and almost all the ports ranging from 1 to 65535 are open or they could be closed whatever external IP you get. So when your behind a router/firewall (like your dsl modem which is also a router), you sometimes need to specify a certain port for a specific app. So when ever someone tries to connect to you regardless of of your ever changing external IP or incoming ports are blocked or not on that external IP, they'll be able to do that properly and without any conflicts.

you might have noticed that doing port forward also requires you to make a static IP on your LAN card. Thats all part of specifying a proper path for other to connect to you.

To check that try giving the same port (14000 in your case) to µtorrent as well and try running VLC and µTorrent at same time.... you will get a conflict probably on either or at least one of em apps.

Not Always for me.

[/quote]

That’s why I said “modern” routers. Not some “ancient” crap like shiro, zte, or zyxl etc… Used Huawei HG510, HG510a and currently TP-Link TD-W8951ND. I’ve yet to use port forwarding on any of these. That’s why I said Universal Plug n Play will make it work. Plain n simple.

Currently I am using cable net and have access to HG510a. uPnP helps but eventually had to do port forward to get better results.

But hey! whatever works...... right?

That’s why I said “modern” routers. Not some “ancient” crap like shiro, zte, or zyxl etc… Used Huawei HG510, HG510a and currently TP-Link TD-W8951ND. I’ve yet to use port forwarding on any of these. That’s why I said Universal Plug n Play will make it work. Plain n simple.

[/quote]

HG510a does not have Upnp. Think that’s also true with the wifi modem offered by PTCL but i may be wrong here as I haven’t used it.