Computer room lighting (eye strain )

I've done plenty of Googling but fail to find any good reference as to type of lights that are good in a room where you use PCs. In the last few years I seem to be suffering badly from eye strain from computer at home.

I am using Viewsonics 17 inch LCD.

At the moment I have one energy saver of white light at left and one whit tube light at 6 ft abve my LCD.

I visited an eye doctors room and he was using dimm lights in yellow color. After watching his environment I thought why not ask this question on forum.

I want something that is quite energy efficient and not much expensive.

If question looks to you silly or copied than don't reply as I am not in a mood to quarrel.

Feeling tired.

Hmm something iv'e never given this a thought. I guess same colour lightening would probably give less eye strain... (just my thinking) .. Usually computer screens are white, so energy savers will be ok i guess.

I had this eye strain issue some time back, what i did was minimizing the distance between my eyes and the lcd screen which helps on getting less strain on my eyes especially when reading text.

Firstly you should've asked this question to the doctor. Secondly i don't think color of light would help desrease the strain.

I have the same lights setup except the energy saver is on my right. A very good excersice i read some where, i do as following :

1. I don't stare at LCD for too long after every few minutes i take my eyes off the lcd and put a quick eye on room.

2. And after Every hour or 1 1/2 hours i stand up take a small walk in my house for a five minutes. Rotate the neck in all possible dimensions! :P not with wrench! :D

3. and look at things at distance and then focus on nearer objects, repeat this practice for five minutes!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

2. And after Every hour or 1 1/2 hours i stand up take a small walk in my house for a five minutes. Rotate the neck in all possible dimensions! :P not with wrench! :D

[/quote]

lolz thx God you not using wrench these days.

3. and look at things at distance and then focus on nearer objects, repeat this practice for five minutes!

[/quote]

u mean go on top of the roof and try to focus on beautiful neigbours? :)

anyways I am quite specific to lighting.

u mean go on top of the roof and try to focus on beautiful neigbours? :)

anyways I am quite specific to lighting.

[/quote]

I do have the means but i’ll prefer focusing on my plants collection! :P

if you are using a lcd you have to lower its brightness because some lcds are extremely bright. When I bought my lcd, it used to give me headaches after one hour of use...I researched this on the net and reduced the brightness and now,,,no more problems.

Also all lights in a computer room should be coming from behind you not on top of your head ot on your left. That will also cause less strain on eyes.

In the end.... ahmsun has given excellent suggestions and I often do the same things... :)

http://www.ehow.co.uk/way_6105143_computer-room-designing.html