Computer Restart Problem

I am having problem with my PC it restart automatically, but not every time whenever PC closed from electricity shutdown.....why is that is it RAM problem or something else?

please help/guide me.

a bit more info would be needed

its hardware fault

if you want to diagnose it, try removing extra hardware from your computer one by one like pci modem lan card etc

like remove modem and check if it restart it doesn't, remove anything else

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am having problem with my PC it restart automatically, but not every time whenever PC closed from electricity shutdown…why is that is it RAM problem or something else?

please help/guide me.

[/quote]

Friend, I don’t understand you fully. Your computer restart but not randomly but after interrupted power supply? Please clarify.

If you think it’s a RAM problem then run a RAM test. However, I hardly think that it’s a RAM problem, if it’s a RAM problem then check the Event Viewer (NT based Windows has it). There is a good chance that Windows may write an event before crashing or at least display a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) before automatically restarting (default for Windows XP and later).

However, I suspect your Power Supply. Change your Power Supply with good one and with higher wattage. But before doing this, try one thing, remove (un-plug) restart-button and power-button’s cables from your motherboard. Yes, I once had a problem that after a year the buttons of Restart and Power (on the front-side of casing) started to pass current at random times and thus restarting the whole PC :( If after unplugging button cables, your PC still restart then it might be Power Supply.

However, as I don’t know the exact nature of restart, therefore, it might be a software related problem too.

Please clarify how exactly your computer restarts? Does it flashes BSOD on screen before restarting? Does restart has any pattern?

Fe-Aman Allah.

yes disable auto restart after BSOD

for that right click my computers goto properties then advanced tab press the settings button under startup and recovery and uncheck automatic restart under system failure heading

Just need to disable auto restart in BIOS.

yes disable auto restart after BSOD

for that right click my computers goto properties then advanced tab press the settings button under startup and recovery and uncheck automatic restart under system failure heading

[/quote]

Ok, it can be done from settings too be within windows XP

Friend, I don’t understand you fully. Your computer restart but not randomly but after interrupted power supply? Please clarify.

If you think it’s a RAM problem then run a RAM test. However, I hardly think that it’s a RAM problem, if it’s a RAM problem then check the Event Viewer (NT based Windows has it). There is a good chance that Windows may write an event before crashing or at least display a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) before automatically restarting (default for Windows XP and later).

However, I suspect your Power Supply. Change your Power Supply with good one and with higher wattage. But before doing this, try one thing, remove (un-plug) restart-button and power-button’s cables from your motherboard. Yes, I once had a problem that after a year the buttons of Restart and Power (on the front-side of casing) started to pass current at random times and thus restarting the whole PC :( If after unplugging button cables, your PC still restart then it might be Power Supply.

However, as I don’t know the exact nature of restart, therefore, it might be a software related problem too.

Please clarify how exactly your computer restarts? Does it flashes BSOD on screen before restarting? Does restart has any pattern?

Fe-Aman Allah.

[/quote]

My english is not good thats why i cant explain it detail and urdu is not allowed here well if u can add me on msn ill give u my id in email.

----

oops your email is private so can’t send u : (

anyways there is only one time blue screen appears then i restart and it working again but in next power failure when i start my pc it give me msg that windows recover from serious problem then i open firefox and msn messenger suddenly my pc restart and then working properly… : (

Do you have a UPS attached with the PC that shuts it down?

If yes then a corrupt hibernation file could be the cause of this problem. In that case, you have to delete the file named hiberfil.sys. It will be recreated automatically upon next hibernation.

yeah he is getting an BSOD

disable automatic restart after BSOD:

My english is not good thats why i cant explain it detail and urdu is not allowed here well if u can add me on msn ill give u my id in email.

----

oops your email is private so can’t send u : (

anyways there is only one time blue screen appears then i restart and it working again but in next power failure when i start my pc it give me msg that windows recover from serious problem then i open firefox and msn messenger suddenly my pc restart and then working properly… : (

[/quote]

I suspect that the file system is having cumulative problem and even you run chkdsk again and again, the situation will get grimmer by each day.

It may look like a plain suggestion but I shall suggest you to format and reinstall your Windows. Delete all partitions, re-create partitions (you can do it when installing Windows during setup), format newly created partition (you can do all this during Windows setup), and install Windows on newly formatted partition. This will allow a clean and fresh start. It will also clear any file system corruption that is piling up. Deleting and re-creating partition allow to re-create MFT tables for NTFS.

However, if you suspect then you can run a RAM tester from disk or CD/DVD. However, I suspect a file system corruption (due to load shading).

Good luck, keep us update with your progress.

Fe-Aman Allah.

you will lost all your data if you format so don't blame the maulana (wampyr) :P for that after formatting

and make sure you don't do a quick format :)