Computer hangs frequently, sometimes CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (BSOD) error

Specs:

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Intel 1.6 GHz Dual Core

8 GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT (512 MB)

250 GB SATA HDD

Problem:

My computer sometimes hangs randomly and frequently! It hangs for 5 minutes then it responds again but after few more minutes, it hangs again! I tried scanning the whole computer and it found just a few viruses and I cleaned them, but the issue still remains.

Sometimes, I play COD:MW3 and it hangs for like 5 minutes, then responds and then it hangs forever. And sometimes, it gives me a BSOD of CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. I searched the internet but couldn't found any problems.

At first I was having trouble with it in Windows 8 so I reinstalled it and then updated to Windows 8.1 (via Store) but the issue is still there.

What I tried:

Scanned the whole computer

Tried disabling all startup applications

Tried disabling all non-Microsoft services

Tried unchecking fast startup and sleep mode in power options

I dont have anything else in my mind.

Please help!

Thnx in advance

Maaz

seems like hardware issue :huh:

check your processors thermal paste and make sure your heatsink n fan working and cooling processor properly

I think this is more of a software issue than a hardware! I actually think that this is a problem of Windows 8! When I open task manager and the computer hangs, I noticed that under Processes tab, the disk is at 100%! And I heard that this is a bug of Windows 8! But, I dont know, maybe it is a hardware problem! I'll see and let you know!

Thanks

Maaz

i am such an idiot i really don't know much about computers

BSOD can occur due to many different reasons. It would be better if you would share the error code.
Without that i can only suggest you one thing try running Chkdsk.
And for your own satisfaction do try resetting the heatsink and fan, so you can be 100% sure.