Compatible Modems?

Hi

can anyone tell me if the modems used on ptcl line are cable modems or standard copperline modems.

i will be in pakistane(dina town) in 2 weeks time and require internet connection. Since i will be using my laptop i need a wirless router/modem. I have seen the list of routers provided by ptcl since none of them are wirless i would rather buy a modem with built in

WIFI.

can i use linksys WRT54G2 , Netgear DG834PN orr the WAG160N as a modem router.

Also the should be a thread for a list of third party compatibale modems.

Thanks

u can use link sys as i m using dun worrry

Linksys WRT54G2 is a wireless broadband router...ITS DUZ NOT HAVE A ADSL MODEM....so u will have to connect it with some ADSL modem, may be the one ptcl gives yew

well am using huawei router and linksys54g2, and everything is going gr8

hi imi89

what type of modem are you using...model no ??

Thanks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hi

can anyone tell me if the modems used on ptcl line are cable modems or standard copperline modems.

i will be in pakistane(dina town) in 2 weeks time and require internet connection. Since i will be using my laptop i need a wirless router/modem. I have seen the list of routers provided by ptcl since none of them are wirless i would rather buy a modem with built in

WIFI.

can i use linksys WRT54G2 , Netgear DG834PN orr the WAG160N as a modem router.

Also the should be a thread for a list of third party compatibale modems.

Thanks

[/quote]

Linksys WAG160N is your best choice. It is a ADSL modem + 4-port switch + wireless-N access point all-in-one router/gateway. It should be compatible with PTCL as it accepts VCI/VPI settings, as explained in its user guide. Since, I do not own it myself so I can not be a 100% sure but it will most likely work fine with PTCL. It also has wireless-N which should give you more range and higher data transfer rate and security then a wireless-G router.

The only issue is the price. If you can get it under $100 then it is an excellent choice.

thanks Raza0007

Ok ill take your reomendation and get a Linksys WAG160N .

Thanks

I manged to get a 2mb line installed by PTCL but i can get get the two wireless modem routers to work. both of the routers are by netrgear model nos are dg834pn and dg834g.

will appreciate any help given

Thanks

^ Follow these guides from PTCL http://www.ptcl.com.pk/contentp.php?NID=190#BBguide

Enter values in the appropriate places in your netgear. set the router part to auto. Hope this helps.