Comodo AV Free and AVG Free

As I've been with AVG Free since about a year. I also found it good over other free antivirus softwares.

I am just wondering to try Comodo AV as it's too long now so many of you might have tried it seriously.

I'd appreciate any comments on both of them. and it would be great if you have used both for a couple of months and can differentiate both.

also searched google and found AVG ahead.

any ways. I'll try it on my own too. but would love to have reviews of yours.

I've used them both in the recent past & i found avg to be the most crappiest antivirus ever. Its detection ratio is bakwaas.

On the other hand Avast & Avira are much better. (i prefer Avira over Avast).

And as for the Comodo Antivirus, its good, really good, Atleast better than Avg.

If you're gonna try Comodo Antivirus then i'll recommend you to try Comodo Internet Security instead. It is the same Comodo Antivirus with the powerfull Comodo Firewall.

Hope my review was helpfull.

The problem with AVG is that the auto update feature dies on you after 2 weeks. After that you have to update by downloading the Virus DB and then install in the antivirus. Besides this, AVG does catch viruses, but healing is pretty weak.

In the end all anti-virus have flaws and are unable to detect all viruses. I personally use a combo of DOS commands, reanimator, and safe mode to remove the stubborn viruses (.sys files).

Well. I have been using AVG Free for the last three years. No problem with detection or virus DB updates. You only need to spend some time going through Preferences and setting them right. I am fully satisfied with its working.

I have also been using Comodo products (BOClean and Firewall) for the last two years. Its Firewall is robust and offers great Defence. Now I have disabled AVG and have installed complete Comodo Interet Security (Anti-Virus, Direall & Defence). Apart from some GUI bugs and five false positives, its working perfectly. YMMV

I have been using pirated versions of Norton Antivirus 2004 (was quite happy with it) but had to update, then used Trial version of Norton Internet Security 2008 (was very happy with it) but didn't left like using pirated / crack version so looked up for free security suites.

Found comodo internet security suite, it is awesome but it's never ending update continued for straight one week (over my 256kbps connection) and it sill didn't completed. When I searched through Comodo official forum then I found that many users faced this problem (i.e. first update takes hell lot of time) and some users reported that it look hours and days even on connections as fast as T1 and 1mbps. Upon creating a thread for help, I learned that there is no other way to update the virus definition database other than using built-in feature. So, in short, I waited for one week to let the update complete and it didn't so I had to trash the software.

Now I am using Avast Security Suite which has security modules for Instant messaging, email plug-in for MS/Win Outlook (not sure for Thunderbird) as well as for Internet mail, Network Shield, P2P shield, standard shield (i.e. antivirus) and web scanner (scans pages for malicious code). And it is FREE...

So I am enjoying Avast and if you are looking for free software, I will recommend it.

To all those who thinks that AVG free is the best free antivirus.

A_vs_A_vs_A.jpg

Source: http://freebies.about.com/od/securityfreebies/tp/best-antivirus.htm

All the professionals knows, its not.

Thanks All

I am not wanting firewall in this case. I actually didn't need it. this was all about only anitivirus software. and I mentioned in the initial post. and comparing to AVG Free it also didn't mean taking the firewall in.

any ways. as far as I used AVG and still using on my laptop. that is pretty much stable since a year, it didn't disturbed any other machine in the network or didn't get disturbed by any other machine as well.

but ofcourse that's not enough to be sure too. so I got here to identify the difference with another one.

have you used Comodo being an ativirus only how did you find that in performance (excluding firewall and defence+)??

on the other hand I have got installed CIS (with firewall and defence+ disabled). it's been 4 or 5 days on my office machine with it. here it is what I found so far the difference

>Installation of CIS required more attention than of the AVG Free.

>Installation of CIS also took a couple of minutes to go with it.

>During the installation [Download software updates](took 3 or 4 minutes on 1Mbps) is the one that I dont think it should be like that while I just downloaded the software from the Comodo website and it should already be updated installer in the website download section.

>Download virus definition was just straight forward like of the AVG Free.

>As I replaced [AVG Licensed] with [Comodo Free] on that machine, so the Threats Detection was precisely identifiable. that machine was also very stable before and and still it is but Comodo detected a couple of threats in the files but I added them in exclusion because they were not threats to me.

I'll give more days to check with it.

any other experience?

Its only a matter of personal choice and experience otherwise everything is pretty much the same. You can find lot of people touting about different softwares but there is no software which satisfies them all. :D

AVG doesnt catch all viruses , nor does other , but i found avast catching most of the threats :)

using AVG Free on my laptop from last 2 years or so and it has been working pretty good for me. Have been thinking about trying Comodo AV too, didnt get a chance yet.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

AVG doesnt catch all viruses , nor does other , but i found avast catching most of the threats :)
[/quote]

Catching more threats doesn’t really mean that it is the better one.

Comodo did too.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
>As I replaced [AVG Licensed] with [Comodo Free] on that machine, so the Threats Detection was precisely identifiable. that machine was also very stable before and and still it is but Comodo detected a couple of threats in the files but I added them in exclusion because they were not threats to me.
[/quote]

is that mean I am intelligent than Comodo my self :P

actually yes. and you are too. but the human are not capable of doing such tasks quick and speedily.

that is the capability what computer softwares are just having. they perform task more speedily than the human. but these softwares do actually you(the human) define in it.

I would really like to put some thing what i think…

If I would be able to identify each threat and as speedily as a software can do and I have the virus definitions in my mind than I really dont need any anti-virus.

this is the “Virus Definitions” and “Identifying Algorithms” that makes you able to compare two softwares.

if any anti-virus that gives you more unclassified threats this absolutely means that the software has not pure/up to date/ or efficient virus-definitions. and I am supposed to say that this software is not actually better one but the bad one.

and that’s correct it also can be matter of personal choice to prefer some software as scuzzy said any ways.

and one thing what I think is, it’s not the software that makes you satisfied with it. It’s you who get satisfied with any software. because you know you have to have one satisfied with. if you dont then you always be in search of them.

and now I think I am able to put a clear purpose of of this thread. and that was the personal experience with these softwares. how did you guys get satisfied with them. and who get satisfied with which software.

thank you all. I am getting much of you.

It does mean its a better One , it depends on how much viruses an antivirus can heal .