Cng to reach 50Rs Per Kilo?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

According to this news item,

31pc hike in gas prices from July 1

By Zafar Bhutta

ISLAMABAD: Consumers will face a 28 to 31 percent hike in gas prices from July 1, as the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) has allowed the two main gas utilities — the Sui Southern Gas Company Limited (SSGCL) and the Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Limited (SNGPL) — to provisionally increase the gas prices.

31 percent price increase means the price of CNG will touch Rs. 50 for the first time.

Here is a chart showing the increase in CNG prices recently

cng.GIF

This amounts to a total increase of almost 73% in a span of less than 2.5 years!

Isn’t it about time we switched to bicycles for our commutes?

[/quote]

Source: http://karachi.metblogs.com/2008/05/26/cng-price-hike-imminent/

comment: aasmaan se gira khajoor main attka, petrol se jaan chhurai toh cng mehnga ho gaya :mad:

some poor folks in karachi have taken jobs closer to home so that they could walk to work,,it is a sad affair,,,

i suggest car pooling to work and home and bicycles for nearby places...

Now why are they increasing the gas price?can't they live with current price on per kilo?

YIKES. 50 a kg. What do they want to do to us??? I for sure know what I want to do to them ;)

Natural Gas prices are being raised to reduce consumption. The power crisis has caused a huge uptick in gas consumption due to back up power generation and the increasing number of cars on the road isn't helping either.

Sadly, the people suffering the most, are the villagers who need the gas not for their car, or for their generation, but for the most basic needs such as cooking and boiling water.

Think twice before purchasing that shiny new CNG car or for that matter that attractive genset. The use of these goods directly affects the acutely poor more than you would care to think about.

Just to be clear: I think if you can afford to drive a car on diesel and or petrol you should, because it is socially irresponsible to do so given that it directly heightens the issues faced by the poor and the near-poor. I see it no different than the homes with 6 (illegal) electricity meters in order to save 30% on their bill every month. It is socially irresponsible, either cut down your usage or change your habits.

If you can afford a corolla, but you can't afford to drive it as it was intended on petrol or diesel, do everyone a favor, and buy yourself a cheaper car and use the savings to subsidize future fuel expenditure. No one is fooled by your facade of upper-middle-class transportation aspirations.

I don't agree. People have been forced to use gas as an alternative fuel. If govt. is concerned about backup power generation using gas engines they should look to increase production to meet the demand and if they are worried about CNG cars on road they should actually devise effective mas transport systems in mega cities. Instead Increasing price of a locally produced commodity to combat increasing demand is pathetic.

Just to be clear: I think if you can afford to drive a car on diesel and or petrol you should, because it is socially irresponsible to do so given that it directly heightens the issues faced by the poor and the near-poor.
[/quote]

Raza, do you run your huge generators on diesel or petrol?

this is worse, tough times for pakistanis. govt have to do something extraordinary here to overcome this energy crises.

My generator runs on Diesel, I use it sparingly, because I cannot afford to continuously pay Rs. 250 a hour @ 80% load. I have no issue admitting that.

My businesses on the other hand, also run diesel generators, but do so continuously because they can't operate without it. I can because unlike my businesses, at home, I can get by UPS for a couple of hours before resorting to the generator.

I am not being elitist here, but it would do a world of good, if people stopped looking at CNG / Natural Gas as a "near-free" or "cheap" source of fuel. It is only "cheaper" relatively speaking. Like petroleum products, Natural Gas is a FINITE resource, and the price will go up as demand peaks.

If I do offend someone, I hope it is the tool I saw the other day who had a V8 Land Cruiser being converted to run on CNG.

If I do offend someone, I hope it is the tool I saw the other day who had a V8 Land Cruiser running on CNG.
[/quote]

:o wow :lol:

I wish all the elites thought like you. :)

What about biofuels. I've seen PSO start their beta testing of Ethanol fuel (E10 something)... good for the environment and is cheap as well... maybe the government wants to enhance use of biofuels by consumers (which will not go down well with the oil giants)

@shlazz

Ethanol is a scam, yes it a cleaner fuel, but it actually requires so much more in terms of nutrients and time, that it can never be a viable fuel source for the world. It is simply a way of large farm lobbyists in the EU & the US to get more subsidies for growing the same crop they were already. There is a great article on the economist website about the whole "ethanol" delusion. Look it up, it's a real eye opener.

@Asad_N:

I don't really consider myself elite or anything else. I consider myself as an individual who enjoys a comfortable life, and that only too because my parents have made significant sacrifices. I certainly do not claim the (halal or clean) success of my parents is that of mine, and hence, I certainly cannot claim to be a member of the "franchised elite" or any other adjective that you may give to someone who is "established" or "well off."

How much reserve of natural gas we have? So, it should be saved for future too. Peoples waste lot and very carless while driving car and says " no problem i am on cng so can go every where and at long wrong". Every one should use all natural resources very carfully.

Regarding raise in CNG price, it is expected as petorl and cng go upword togther.

you know what seein the price hike on all the natural resources of this country

i imagine it will not be long before water will be really expensive 2

you know what seein the price hike on all the natural resources of this country

i imagine it will not be long before water will be really expensive 2

[/quote]

Did ever any one imagine about few years back that water will be sold in bottle with high price? NO

But now it is GOD KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEND NEXT

Did ever any one imagine about few years back that water will be sold in bottle with high price? NO

But now it is GOD KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEND NEXT

[/quote]

what if we have to start payin for the air we breath :o

In the future, CNG will become the fuel of those who _absolutely_ cannot bear the marginal difference in the price of petroleum (yes, CNG will eventually reach near-parity with petroleum on a per-mileage basis). When people (hopefully) start valuing their time more because they are now getting paid more, then the idea of waiting anywhere between 45 minutes to 2 hours daily for CNG will become unfeasible.

To those who believe the sky is falling, it is not. Pakistan is simply falling in line with market realities that have existed all over the world for decades now.

p.s. mineral water sold at Rs.15 or Rs.25 a bottle, chilled, is still far below the cost of the identical product in the US or Canada, where the cost is closer to Rs.35 and Rs. 70 for the same serving. The prices in Europe, are even higher. Let the hysterics begin.

This means we should buy a bicycle for ourselves because they will get expensive in the coming years :)

p.s. mineral water sold at Rs.15 or Rs.25 a bottle, chilled, is still far below the cost of the identical product in the US or Canada, where the cost is closer to Rs.35 and Rs. 70 for the same serving. The prices in Europe, are even higher. Let the hysterics begin.
[/quote]

sure it maybe more expensive there but look at it this way ppl in those countries also make more money and can thus afford it

when i was in america we bought bread for $2(120 rs) my father thought that 120 rs was alot for bread

but then when he realsied how much money he was makin he realised that the price is fine for american standards