Cisco CCNA vs Oracle OCP

I am faced with a choice and hope I can get some good advice here. I have been thinking about getting some computer related training to not only learn some cool stuff, but to earn more money, and possibly leave Pakistan. Basically, I just want to learn some stuff so I am less clueless - first priority.

Keep in mind I have basic knowledge of both computer networks and databases.

So which is the better way to go here? It seems to me that Cisco and Oracle, even though vendor certs, are still broad enough to migrate down to other platforms. Are both equally easy to prepare for without an instructor? My guess is the equipment for the CCNA and the tips and tricks for Oracle are the barriers. I want to do something at which 10 year old "geniuses" or random Filipinos aren't likely to succeed, e.g. MCP. (That said, I looked at SAP as well, and that racket is too rich for a poor man like me. I don't want to be a high-tech haari.)

I find both areas - net and db - interesting. So given the local and nearby foreign job markets, which path would you advise me to go for?

From what I hear, SSUET is good for CCNA and Techno-Ed for Oracle. Do you agree with that? I don't want to waste time, effort or money in the wrong place.

Not exactly the advice you are looking for. Just want to share an observation here. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

In the past decade or so I have had around 15 friends getting the hottest certifications in order to go abroad. Soon they all realized certifications were not going to land them any jobs so they found other means of going abroad (mainly student visa's). Almost all of them are abroad now, even with all the certifications, none of them are currently working in the fields they certified for.

What you should be asking is :

"Which job should I go for: Network Administrator or Database Administrator"

Both have their value in companies, and jobs are available outside....but its highly competitive, and you can only hire one network guy and DBA for a company.

Perhaps you can go for a different combination, like

- SQA + DBA : can be used in Support Engineering, Analysis or SQA

- Network + DBA: Can work for NOC team in companies with cluster grids

- Network + Application servers : NOC team, Deployment team

Experience in programming would help in your cause and make good combos with DBA and Network fields.

Good luck!!

^ Did you catch the 'big daddy' tag - as in data/cloud? I like how you're thinking, and I agree programming is an almost indispensable skill. I think you can't teach this however.

My programming skills need work. A lot of work, perhaps a year of night and weekend practice. I agree DBAs and Net Admins are expensive but one each? I don't expect to be a DBA, it is way too much pressure. I will need to go the developer route on Oracle. Maybe admin can come later, but DBA is for experienced players only. What is the point of an OCP in DBA for a newbie, it means little without experience. Am I wrong to say it is a little like SAP - you can be SAP certified but it isn't useful without implementation cycles?

[quote="executionist, post:2, topic:20848"]

Not exactly the advice you are looking for. Just want to share an observation here. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

In the past decade or so I have had around 15 friends getting the hottest certifications in order to go abroad. Soon they all realized certifications were not going to land them any jobs so they found other means of going abroad (mainly student visa's). Almost all of them are abroad now, even with all the certifications, none of them are currently working in the fields they certified for.

[/quote]

I believe it. What certs were your friends in possession of, if you remember? A top cert will get you employment in a market that can use that skill set. What is a top cert? It is tightly controlled from overpopulation, a third world disease. As far as as going abroad, no cert can guarantee that. My aim is to acquire knowledge I can't easily pick up on my own, in a setting I can't recreate on my own, and to save time. You just have to go to school for some things. I don't have the motivation to learn entirely on my own, but I am motivated to learn. If I can pass a test which may be useful, that's a side benefit.

Thanks for the feedback. Any info on training centres?

[quote=“Wire, post:4, topic:20848”]

^ I agree DBAs and Net Admins are expensive but one each? I don't expect to be a DBA, it is way too much pressure. I will need to go the developer route on Oracle. Maybe admin can come later, but DBA is for experienced players only. What is the point of an OCP in DBA for a newbie, it means little without experience. Am I wrong to say it is a little like SAP - you can be SAP certified but it isn't useful without implementation cycles?

[/quote]

I have met 2 year exp DBAs with good exp to boot....

they just needed one good project to get to a place whaere they could know it all.

Its not as vast as other disciplines in terms of learning.

You just need to work with a company with a product implemented in cluster / grid environment.

But in order to work in such places you will need to learn them and learning them would mean you would have to take certifications or take a masters course with emphasis on data grids and mining.

Finding a job is all qismat bro.....I had this junior who became senior Software Engineer in 1.45 years after graduation....WHY....he learned to use an IBM product his brother had implemented for an IT company.