Chinese to become compulsory in Sindh schools

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Islamabad: The government in Pakistan’s Sindh province has decided to make the Chinese language a compulsory subject in schools from 2013, sparking a debate in the educational and political circles over the reasons behind such a move.

The decision was taken at a high level meeting yesterday presided over by Chief Minister of Sindh province Qaim Ali Shah, an official statement said.

According to the announcement, Chinese will be a compulsory subject from class six in all educational institutions, including the Cadet college of Petaro from the 2013 session.

Sindh Education Minister Pir Mazhar-ul-Haq said the decision was taken keeping in mind the close ties with China and its growing role as a economic giant in the world.

“Our trade, educational and other relations are growing with China everyday and now it is necessary for our younger generation to have command over their language,” Mazhar said.

He pointed out that this move would reap benefits in the longer run for Pakistan.

The move drew a mixed reaction in education circles, although the Vice Chancellor of the Karachi University Dr Peerzada Qasim supported the decision.

“China is not only a very close friend of Pakistan but also a major player in the global economy whose role will further strengthen in the future,” he said.

But many termed it as a political decision and said that educational institutions lacked qualified teachers in the Chinese language and also the resources to implement the course.

Ather Mirza, the President of the Sindh Professors and Lecturers Association, said it was a move by the political leadership to gain points with China and gain financial benefits from them.

He said the introduction of the Chinese language would not only put an additional burden on parents, but also on students, who were already made to learn three languages - English, Urdu and Sindhi - as compulsory subjects.

Another educationist said the government decision came out of the blue as it was not discussed or debated in recent meetings of the education department with the chief minister or education minister.

It is reported that President Zardari’s daughter Aseefa Bhutto has been planning to study Chinese in China after graduating from college.

Sources said that the provincial government also decided to award scholarships to educated people of Sindh for learning Chinese at educational institutions in China.

[/quote]

Source: http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/chinese-to-be-made-compulsory-in-sindh-schools-131404

I wonder what effing benefit they’re talking about… I also wonder how the eff they’re gonna manage the whole teaching thing… IMO they’re just unnecessarily creating a new burden for the kids. What are your thoughts on it guys?

To be honest I don't give a f-uck about anything coming out PK government.

But I personally think THATS GREAT EVERYBODY SHOULD LEARN CHINESE (keep in mind China got two dialects Mandarin and Cantonese, most important one is Mandarin)

Legendary American investor billionaire moved to Singapore.

For three years, arabic is taught as a compulsory subject in most schools but after these three years, not a single student becomes able to talk in arabic. Even students study in English in their whole educational life and at the end, most of them can't even speak in English. Now, chinese will be the part of course, and same will happen to it. I bet, no one will be able to talk in ''chiaaung shenn''.

Our People can't speak proper urdu....

We were slaves, we are slaves, we will remain slaves.

Yeah, kids already have a hard time learning Sindhi & Arabic (along with Urdu & English). Adding Chinese is just ridiculous, and not really much beneficial, other than for show-off perhaps...

They are little late but at least they are in right direction. I fully support this step. I learned few basic words of Mandarin like 10 years ago, while a friend of mine went hardcore on Mandarin. Now he is wholesale supplier of Chinese office furniture and he spent most of his time in China and Pakistan, not to mention he went from a bike and living in down-town to house in DHA and latest model car.

Heck, I was taught Arabic in school and what advantage I yet got it from it? None whatsoever. Arabic is over-rated just because first copies of Quran were written in it. Moreover, the modern Arabic is way different from ancient Arabic and there are hundreds of dialect. At least Mandarin has only dialect (Chinese shun Cantonese), English has one dialect too. Heck, even modern day Arab natives speaking modern Arabic can't fully read Quran written in ancient Arabic.

Consider this:

Number of books translated to Spanish in ONE YEAR = Number of books EVER translated to Arabic

This is a very good step by Sindh and I want this all over Pakistan. Xie xie Sindh Education Board.

my cousin studying in a usa university for his bba says that most of his graduating class has taken chinese as a second language.

That is because the business in china is expanding so rapidly that a lot of american companies are looking to hire chinese speaking execs. If they can take advantage of the chinese powerhouse then why cant we.

I think this is a good idea to introduce chinese as a second language here because china is a big economy and we should look forward for our own graduates here

to do business through them.

i think this should be made optional not mandatory. children should have given choice.

[quote=“wampyr, post:6, topic:15720”]

Consider this:

Number of books translated to Spanish in ONE YEAR = Number of books EVER translated to Arabic

[/quote]

What a pity for oil rich countries and muslim countries.

They can’t even translate books for their people.

And adding chinese to compulsory subjects will not be beneficial because we will not be having human resource which is equally good in chinese and local language being taught.

First they will have to create such teachers.

Molana type people and MA Islamiat type miss used to taught us arabic in school and thats why we are only able to read quran as a nazra.If they didn’t realize such matters then unfortunately after 5 or 10 years we will only be able to communicate in chinese in 3 sentences:

What is your name?<<<<<<< My name is this.

How are you?<<<<<< I am fine.

And last but not least<<<< 'Pak-Cheen dosti wang woye, wang woye, wang woye, wang woye, Pak-Cheen dosti zindabad, zindabad, zindabad, zindaabaaad.’

If this ‘topi drama’ they are planning then they should not waste childrens time and they may take this money to Swiss banks. Otherwise create human resource for such long term projects just like Musharaf sent bright students for Phd’s to foreign countries and now majority of these Phd’s is coming back and teaching in universities.

They can’t even controle current account deficit then what else to espect.

Go Zordari Go

[quote=“Imran, post:9, topic:15720”]

And last but not least<<<< 'Pak-Cheen dosti wang woye, wang woye, wang woye, wang woye, Pak-Cheen dosti zindabad, zindabad, zindabad, zindaabaaad.’

[/quote]

Did chines made urdu mandatory too?

[quote=“ShuAK, post:8, topic:15720”]

i think this should be made optional not mandatory. children should have given choice.

[/quote]

This! Best option in this case, everybody gets to decide what they want. Nobody forced to learn anything.

The criticism is, in China how many Chinese learn foreign languages? There, every subject is taught in their own mother language. After graduation or masters, their students can't even speak few words of English because they shiit on English. Only few who take foreign languages for higher studies become able to speak in them. They do not put burden on their little children.But in our country, the burden of subjects including languages make the school bags so heavy that little children spend their whole childhood playing with the books.

[quote=“Faisal, post:10, topic:15720”]

Did chines made urdu mandatory too?

[/quote]

Not just Chinese but even Europeans will make Urdu mandatory if we Pakistanis have some talent to build this nation into first world country and export 90% of demand to world. When every other country want to do business with us because we have 99.99% literacy rate and millions of book writers, engineers, doctors working selflessly for this country 24x7. When our country’s research and development level will be so high that we’ll be leading in developing and finding latest technology. When our country will be on par with any other first world country. Then and only then, countries around the world be teaching Urdu so that they can read our books and read/translate our knowledge.

By the way, this day will never come because we are who we are.

[quote=“blogger, post:12, topic:15720”]

The criticism is, in China how many Chinese learn foreign languages? There, every subject is taught in their own mother language. After graduation or masters, their students can’t even speak few words of English because they shiit on English. Only few who take foreign languages for higher studies become able to speak in them. They do not put burden on their little children.But in our country, the burden of subjects including languages make the school bags so heavy that little children spend their whole childhood playing with the books.

[/quote]

They don’t need to learn any other language because they translate all “legally cleared books that are not censored” into Chinese language. But that’s not all. The days of Mao are over. Today, large number of Chinese learn English, if they don’t then they simply hire a person who can translate it for them.

Agreed

[quote="blogger, post:3, topic:15720"]

For three years, arabic is taught as a compulsory subject in most schools but after these three years, not a single student becomes able to talk in arabic. Even students study in English in their whole educational life and at the end, most of them can't even speak in English. Now, chinese will be the part of course, and same will happen to it. I bet, no one will be able to talk in ''chiaaung shenn''.

[/quote]

IMO this is another idiotic decision taken by our Rulers. We studies Persian then Arabic with English and Urdu. Now our kids are studying Sindhi, Punjabi, and Pashto etc. Have we improved ourselves in any field by studying lots of languages? Certainly not.

Any language other than English/Urdu at school level is just waste of time. However, at University level students should choose to learn whatever they like.

I think its just too much for a child....

I would suggest that they give a choice to the child to learn the languages they want:

Urdu (Compulsory)

English (Compulsory)

French (Choice)

Chinese (Choice)

Arabic (Choice)

Sindhi (Choice)

Punjabi(Choice)

Balochi (Choice)

Brahui (Choice)

Farsi (Choice)

Pashto (Choice)

Siraiki (Choice)

Hindko (Choice)

Kashmiri (Choice)

Shina (Choice)

Turkmani (Choice)

[quote=“deffury, post:17, topic:15720”]

I think its just too much for a child…

I would suggest that they give a choice to the child to learn the languages they want:

Urdu (Compulsory)

English (Compulsory)

French (Choice)

Chinese (Choice)

Arabic (Choice)

Sindhi (Choice)

Punjabi(Choice)

Balochi (Choice)

Brahui (Choice)

Farsi (Choice)

Pashto (Choice)

Siraiki (Choice)

Hindko (Choice)

Kashmiri (Choice)

Shina (Choice)

Turkmani (Choice)

[/quote]

Thinking from the point of enabling Pakistan to grow and everything, I think after Urdu and English, a student much select at least two regional (Pakistani) languages (other than Urdu) and two international languages (other than English). Student can select languages from list given by deffury. It will allow students to become more versatile when they’ll be in practical word.

However, whatever I said in above paragraph is a bulls**t and only good for text-books or politician’s address. In my humble suggestion, only and only English should be taught at schools, colleges and universities. Children can learn Urdu from their homes or society. But in schools, only English should be taught and all education should be in English. Trust me, in practical life you only need English and if you need any other language (like going to sell some product in Dubai) then hire a local translator.

Currently, English is used in science, business and internet. Without it, a person can’t succeed at all.

They can't teach the national language, Urdu, properly at primary level and they are aiming to teach Chinese. What a... sadistic joke! <_<

[quote=“wampyr, post:18, topic:15720”]

However, whatever I said in above paragraph is a bullst and only good for text-books or politician’s address. In my humble suggestion, only and only English should be taught at schools, colleges and universities. Children can learn Urdu from their homes or society. But in schools, only English should be taught and all education should be in English. Trust me, in practical life you only need English and if you need any other language (like going to sell some product in Dubai) then hire a local translator.

Currently, English is used in science, business and internet. Without it, a person can’t succeed at all.

[/quote]

Then I suppose France, Germany, Holland, Japan, China, Norway, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and many more countries which are considered as developed countries, are Imaginary?

Your thinking only proves, once a slave always a slave.

Urdu is more then enough to be the one and only medium that we need. I mean, F* Pakistan (this country in its present state doesn’t even deserves to be quoted for anything except everything bullsh*t) Take and an example of India with highest possible literacy rate and that too in English. Far better at everything when compared to Pakistan, still is a 3rd world country. learning, speaking and conducting business in English didn’t make India a developed country but merely a nation of servants, fulfilling the needs of those who can pay…