Career Counseling: Engineering/Computer Science or BBA Accounts and Finance?

Most of you would say, Do what you like, but the truth is that I dont know what i like, I always wanted to do Medicine and found Biology easy, but I dropped it in A'level because getting into Govt. College after A'levels is extremly difficult and paying for an Expensive Private College, to work at a salary of 22000 is not worth it.

Computer Science is appelaing because, if you dont get a job, you could work as a freelance programmer, My Cousin studied Electrical Enginnering from NUST and stayed Jobless for over a year, He suggested to look into the field of Accounts and Finance.

Considering, the Employment Prospects and Salary, which is the best thing to do?

Which courses do you have in Alevels?

Also Consider doing Civil Engineering..they are always in demand

Math, Physics and Chemistry

[quote=“pure_evil, post:3, topic:16532”]

[/quote]

you do have a huge variety of fields to explore. As its a cleshay go for the field u r interested in and you’ll find your way out…Now Engineering is quite a wide and open field…You can always find ur way out…Like for instance if you have any option in mind of doing your under grad. abroad then you can get good results in future. for example you have a good option of doing under grad from UK. Advantages would be that you’ll be completing your Degree in 3yrs. U’ll be having an awesome and wide experience of Labs and Hands-on work in UK that can harvest good results for you in industry…Plus its all about researching on your own. My view is something you can see above…I’ve also under gone this experience…and its healthy to discuss all possibilities.

To be honest, 2011 was a horrible year for engineers particularly electrical engineers. So do choose engineering field with too much care because the job scene does not seem to improve that much within coming 2-3 years. After that, ONLY God knows what will happen. Sofware engineering is the only field that's in vogue now. If you are planning for software engineering, then do consider this doing from a good university(LUMS for CS)..

Business administration will land you a job if and only if you graduate from a very good business school(LUMS and IBA are the only options for you at the moment). Do not even think about going to B-grade business school as employers simply weed them out while screening.

What about NUST Business School? and for Computer Science, Isn't NUST and FAST better than LUMS?

[quote=“pure_evil, post:3, topic:16532”]

[/quote]

Go for:

• Civil Engineering (Always in Demand) Speicalization:Structural
  • Geotechnical Engineering (Great in Demand in Australia and mining industries) Speicalization:Mining
  • Chemical Engineering (great for oil and textile industries) Speicalization:Petroleum, Textile

Dont go for:
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Construction Engineering
    • Mechanical Engineering
    • Software Engineering (you can be a Civil Engineer and still go into this field)

Apply to unis in countries:

• Australia

• Malaysia

• Singapore

• Sweden

Make note that the recommended courses taught in most unis are theoratical…so look at curriculums that teach practically as well…

[quote=“deffury, post:7, topic:16532”]

Apply to unis in countries:

• Australia
  • Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Sweden

Make note that the recommended courses taught in most unis are theoratical…so look at curriculums that teach practically as well…

[/quote]

IF you think that employment is better in these countries therefore one should go their for studies that is really absurd… Engineering and Educational paradise is UK only…Admitted fact. Best class room and Lab experience is still in the UK…If your aim is studies and your family can fully fund it then go for UK. other then that if you want higher employment opportunity and nationality then Australia or Canada are the best choices.

Going for Undergrad. Abroad is not affordable, Inshallah, I will do Masters(1 year) from U.K.

[quote=“pure_evil, post:9, topic:16532”]

Going for Undergrad. Abroad is not affordable, Inshallah, I will do Masters(1 year) from U.K.

[/quote]

are you done with your A-levels or are you going to appear this May/June session?

[quote=“Mazahyr, post:10, topic:16532”]

are you done with your A-levels or are you going to appear this May/June session?

[/quote]

Appearing in May/June

My 2-cent:

Avoid, avoid, avoid UK. UK is in a big mess and employment condition is as worse as Pakistan's. So do not even think of spilling your money over there unless they show remarkable growth in coming 2-3 years for which prospects are bleak. Try Germany(best), Canada(you may get some funding particularly in MS).

And LUMS is better than both NUST and Fast in CS..However, the EE school of NUST is better than LUMS SSE as of yet at least!

[quote=“pure_evil, post:11, topic:16532”]

Appearing in May/June

[/quote]

where are you currently living? GIKI is a preferred place…its more like an engineering Den. Then comes NUST where you’ll see enthusiasts, innovations etc. But if you want to be a diverse and more extra-curricular sort of person then LUMS should be a place for you to be…

[quote=“Mazahyr, post:13, topic:16532”]

where are you currently living? GIKI is a preferred place…its more like an engineering Den. Then comes NUST where you’ll see enthusiasts, innovations etc. But if you want to be a diverse and more extra-curricular sort of person then LUMS should be a place for you to be…

[/quote]

I live in faisalabad, i am also considering GIKI, my brother studies there…I will give NUST entry test too…I gave the LUMS SSE Test, held on 11 feb. It was very tough, LCAT was very easy…result will be announced in april, lets see if I get in

^You will get in. Most of the students drop out due to exorbitant LUMS fees.

accounts and finance is the best thing

Khurram Shahzad

Alaziz Online

[quote=“Mazahyr, post:8, topic:16532”]

IF you think that employment is better in these countries therefore one should go their for studies that is really absurd… Engineering and Educational paradise is UK only…Admitted fact. Best class room and Lab experience is still in the UK…If your aim is studies and your family can fully fund it then go for UK. other then that if you want higher employment opportunity and nationality then Australia or Canada are the best choices.

[/quote]

My brother studied in UK and so did my cousins, as is some of my friends…and buddy boy they disagree that "Engineering and Educational paradise is UK only"

If curriculum has practical work then its great for people with no practical experience…

However I didnt intend to list these countries for employment…I did it to specify that these countries too have good curriculum and they are also cheaper than UK or American studies…