Car Tracking Services Trakker vs StarTech

So I need to install tracking services in a car. For the past few years we have used Star Technologies' StarTrac service which they have now replaced with satellite-based services on part with what C-Track or Trakker offers. Any opinions / information on which way to go? Trakker or StarTech?

I have yet to get the pricing from Trakker, but the pricing quoted to me by StarTech is as follows (I assume this includes the cost of installation + 1 year of service)

1. Rs. 36,921/-

It’s without user-accessible location but Startech will know the location. Service includes car recovery.

2. Rs. 40,721/-

The above with the ability to check car location on the web and or via sms.

I'll update the post when I get the pricing from the Trakker folks; in the meanwhile feel free to riff about the pro / cons of each. Thanks!

i think one should go for Combo packages: Insuarance + Tracker

Insurance isn't really a part of this question; I find it hard to justify paying a huge premium for non-proactive insurance which basically only covers theft and cosmetic damage.

Correct me if I am wrong, but insurance premiums in Pakistan are basically calculated from anywhere between 3-4% of the total value of the car without taking into account the number of drivers, area of residence and yearly mileage.

Do the trackers really work?

what i have heard is that car thieves cut the power as soon as they steal a car. So no power means no tracker. Then they take their time to remove the tracker before resuming the power supply to the car.

Yes, tracking / immobilizing systems do work, and they are not easy to remove as they were perhaps a few years ago. The latest systems can be hid far within the mechanical annals of the car, requiring extensive knowledge and hours of work in order to remove them. If you remove the battery of the system, it kills the engine, rendering the car unoperational. Furthermore, all of the major tracking companies employ their own "recovery thugs" which basically are situated all around the city and respond to any "emergency calls" by re-commandeering your vehicle if it is stolen.

it will be very helpful if you can get statistics of recovery %age.

You should get ctracker. For 60k, they offer insurance and tracking services. That's more safe.

I have four units of Trakker installed. Decent service but you'll have to send your car to their workshop atleast once every 2-3 months because your unit will suddenly stop working and they'll take three four days to inform you k it's not working properly. They'll fix it or replace it for free of course within the warranty period. Not a big hassle if it's 4 times a year but irritating none the less.

Coverage is pretty decent, Trakker uses Mobilink so wherever there's a Mobilink booster your car will report.

Ended up deciding to get the car insured (3%) and tracking services on top of it. I am going to get final pricing from Trakker tomorrow, although if the price difference is huge will go for Star Tech because, hell, it's insured against theft anyway.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Ended up deciding to get the car insured (3%) and tracking services on top of it. I am going to get final pricing from Trakker tomorrow, although if the price difference is huge will go for Star Tech because, hell, it’s insured against theft anyway.
[/quote]

I’d go with trakker if they gave insurane and tracking services as a package.