Can you run movies (DVDs) on PS3 (Pal 40 Gig)

Is it possible to run normally available dvd movies (those master prints costing approx 150 PKR) on PS3 40 Gig?

the combinations I told you for Games. the same go for Movies too.

Console reads the Disk in the way of Formats and Regions and then detects either it is a Game or a Movie. if the Console could not read the disk then it can not play either a Game or a Movie

dvds (punched in pakistan) are normally not coded for regions. but the format must be matched with your Console PAL or NTSC.

but these DVDs are also normally not well Formated so some of the DVDs might not work.

Exactly like you said bellskar. Any idea what the format is for movies generally available here. The reason why i am specifically asking for this is that new 40 gig does not support ps2 games.

^I told that what DVDs happen to be in market in here.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
dvds (punched in pakistan) are normally not coded for regions. but the format must be matched with your Console PAL or NTSC.

but these DVDs are also normally not well Formated so some of the DVDs might not work.

[/quote]

I dont want to give any further exact statement about that, to be wrong. but you can go to any video dvd shop, and just can choose a random dvds and can see what is labeled on it NTSC or PAL. (you can see it only if the DVDs are in original and legal.)

and about the fact that PS2 games are not supported by PS3 40Gig system might be totally different from the compatibility of the DVD movies with it.

because why the PS2 games are not supported by PS3 40Gig, is because, the Game Emulator of PS3 40Gig doesn't allow the PS2 games to be played on it. (please note that PS3 40Gig can detect the Disk if supported but its emulator can't play if it is a PS2 Game.)

so the conclusion is, a DVD movie has nothing to deal with its Game Emulator. It might be played with it if in supported format but as well as with other PS3 systems.

Again I want to mention that I do not use any system of PS3. the above all things are just a work of research on the internet and some of the experience of multimedia products. so I personally do not guarantee about it. but technically all above is logical.

makes sense.

Thanks!

I dont know alot about regions but most of the DVD's that i bought do work on my PS3 although i remember 1 DVD not working.