When your house was built (I am assuming it's a house and
not a flat), they must have (ought to have) put a large copper
plate into the ground near your home and tied the GROUND
wire to it with a thick, robust copper wire.
It would be highly irregular and most dangerous if this did not
occur, since it is a provision against just the sort of thing that
you fear happening in your post. Plus, you must have a whole
series of trip switches installed at the DB and then again inside
your home, to shut off current in such an occurrence.
Of course, nothing is absolutely foolproof. People have gotten
their TV's fried through a surge in their coaxial cable ITV).
Like @MrKamran advises, one can always put the meter into a
small wooden frame, with wire mesh for taking readings.
Our KESC electric meter got shorted inside it's housing, wreaking
all sorts of mayhem in the house (two phase lines had melted
together). Our water lines started carrying 4-8V of AC current.
Sometimes, you couldn't even touch the faucet! Of course, as
soon as I smelled the familiar "fishy" smell coming out of the
meter, we got the meter replaced and now, no more problems.
None of the electricians or KESC personnel that were called
out to the house could figure out the problem.
So, yeah. Electric meters can get shorted and give you a jolt!
The proper grounding of copper is probably what saved our
lives. Get moving on that meter housing.
Sheikh 'Bijli Bhari Hai Meray Ang Ang Mein...' Chilli