Can Wateen be distributed between PCs?

hey fellas

i have only used wateen once in my life..

back then when their authentication process was that you have to keep that browser window open and login into it... now i dont know if its still like that or not..

well the thing is someone asked me if they can share the wateen connection between multiple PCs...

if yes then how? i mean by simple switch/over wifi ? or what?

do every person have to signin and keep the browser window open?

i heard they did some mac binding thing recently... how does that effect their login process or now we dont have to login like old times?

or is it as simple as DSL like just hook at pcs up via a switch/hub and all is good..?

need some quick reply please...

Assuming you connect your wateen device to your PC via an ethernet cable, you can use any ethernet router. You can get wireless ethernet routers for around Rs. 2,000.

A switch or hub will not work because it is not intelligent enough. To share an Internet connection you need a device that does Network Address Translation or NAT. A router will do that as will a PC loaded with the correct software (you can use a spare PC if you like). A switch or hub cannot do NAT.

okay thanks

i talked to wateen helpline n they told me tht the old login system is now cancelled n now things work smooth like just turn on device n start using...

btw their wifi device.. which they provide.. is it capable of mac address filtering on wifi.. i dont wana use wifi secure keys infact i wana use mac filtering so tht only authenticated devices can connect .. not every device knowing the wifi passkey...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

btw their wifi device… which they provide… is it capable of mac address filtering on wifi… i dont wana use wifi secure keys infact i wana use mac filtering so tht only authenticated devices can connect … not every device knowing the wifi passkey…

[/quote]

Any specific reason for wanting mac address filtering rather than passkeys?

okay thanks

i talked to wateen helpline n they told me tht the old login system is now cancelled n now things work smooth like just turn on device n start using…

btw their wifi device… which they provide… is it capable of mac address filtering on wifi… i dont wana use wifi secure keys infact i wana use mac filtering so tht only authenticated devices can connect … not every device knowing the wifi passkey…

[/quote]

I read somewhere that using MAC aunthetication method is very dangerous. Its very easy to hack into the wireless network that way. All the hacker has to do is to “sniff” the information going over the wireless network and identify the auntheticated MAC address and then replicate it. Using PassKeys with a WPA-PSK security is better.

I read somewhere that using MAC aunthetication method is very dangerous. Its very easy to hack into the wireless network that way. All the hacker has to do is to “sniff” the information going over the wireless network and identify the auntheticated MAC address and then replicate it. Using PassKeys with a WPA-PSK security is better.

[/quote]

^ x2

From The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN:

“MAC filtering: This is like handing a security guard a pad of paper with a list of names. Then when someone comes up to the door and wants entry, the security guard looks at the person’s name tag and compares it to his list of names and determines whether to open the door or not. Do you see a problem here? All someone needs to do is watch an authorized person go in and forge a name tag with that person’s name. The comparison to a wireless LAN here is that the name tag is the MAC address. The MAC address is just a 12 digit long HEX number that can be viewed in clear text with a sniffer. A sniffer to a hacker is like a hammer to a carpenter except the sniffer is free. Once the MAC address is seen in the clear, it takes about 10 seconds to cut-paste a legitimate MAC address in to the wireless Ethernet adapter settings and the whole scheme is defeated. MAC filtering is absolutely worthless since it is one of the easiest schemes to attack. The shocking thing is that so many large organizations still waste the time to implement these things. The bottom line is, MAC filtering takes the most effort to manage with zero ROI (return on investment) in terms of security gain.”

Yep thats where i read it! Btw, the problem is that some old devices dont recognize WPA and therefore you cannot use your wireless network on them. For example my Sony Ericsson W980 had this problem. I had to either use WEP (which downgraded my N network to a G network, since weirdly WEP is not compatible with N draft networks!) or use the MAC filtering method. So i searched around the net a bit about MAC filtering. Finally i decided to secure it with WEP just for the phone. Afterwards i sold my phone and came back to WPA again (since WEP is crackable too, from what i heard).

where i m gona use it there are bunch of idiots around.... so no one is wise enuff to do sniffing..

i just want them not to use it on their phones n laptops..

plus if its necessary i ll put on WPA auth...

Can Wateen be distributed between PCs?
[/quote]

sure , why not!!

Shoukat the wireless router that you buy can do mac address filtering. So don't worry about it.

Doesn't seems to be so is working well in my case.....