Can lead acid battery be reapired if one cell is dead (1100sg)

hi

i have lead acid battery AGS GX 175 AH it has been used for almost 10 months. and out of warranty. one of its cell is shwoing sg of 1100 at most ..

can it be repaired ?

replaced its electrolyte with 1260sg one but still same after 2 week testing.

is it repairable ?

backup is very little ..

after it was fully charged ( in one hour ) i tried discharging it . current draw from battery was 15ams dc and it went to 20 % after just 25 minutes.

it was charged at 9 ah in almost 2 hours.

yep, easily.. will cost between 600-1200 depending on price of lead/kg these days, labor and acid cost included.. the repaired cell should last around 6 months easily.

anyone did it ?

where the cell comes from ? are they of same capacity quality ?

i have seen on a road side they melting the plates in a mold ? do they just reuse the old plates?

any one repaired it ?

any hazard if battery is opened ?

any good mechanic near pindi/isb ?

if your battery is bigger than and once it is opened then when you will buy a new battery and give this battery to the battery wala then i think he will not take it in a good price . m not sure that some one could detect or not . just a thought and i shared .

[quote=“jhagra, post:3, topic:21621”]

anyone did it ?

where the cell comes from ? are they of same capacity quality ?

i have seen on a road side they melting the plates in a mold ? do they just reuse the old plates?

any one repaired it ?

any hazard if battery is opened ?

any good mechanic near pindi/isb ?

[/quote]

yep. very common.. battery life for upto 6 more months.

cells come from old batteries, cleaned surface treated and packed with new separators. sometimes new cells are manufactured as well

battery top cover is either taken off or melted open. each cell is in a partition. they are removed new cell put in, top reseated or melted back.

no hazard. just seal should be perfect, no leakage

no idea abt isb. they have shops in battery markets and car repair markets.

thanks farhan.

i will look for some batterysmith and do its cell swap when i am a bit free..

will share and update.

One more question.
This battery is 9 months old now. And one cell is showing sg below 1100 while two are showing 1250 and three are showing 1230-1240 when fully charged and ur charges withing a hour and holds only 10 ah of power. I tested it. By draining it at 5 amps load.

What does it tells about the condition of those cells.?

How much improvement in my case can i see from cell swap.

Are cells fir ags gx175 available readily?
Or battery wallas do some jugaro programs. I have res that batter cells have different number of plates. And thickness also varies from one model of battery to others.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yes thickness varies in all models. but plates number remain same for a range..then increase in plate no. and decreased thickness.

the other cells seem to be in healthy good condition, should easily last 6-8 months more. new good quality replacement is enough for 6 months.. dont expect more.

cells availabilty is dependant on the market.

Thanks farhan_ds I am looking for a batterysmith in my area. Once I find one I will repair it.

Anyone from islamabad / pindi who knows of one?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk