Can I use other DSL modem in place of PTCL's dsl modem?

Can I replace PTCLs DSL modem with other DSL modem purchased from local market?

What would happen if I hard reset my PTCL modem from back? Would any special configuration required from PTCL?

It is look like Ptcl's modem in not working fine.

Looking forward to reply.

Thanks.

why you want to purchase another modem if you ptcl modem isn't working properly or is it dagmed just call to 1236 they will replace your modem with new one with free of any charges

You can replace PTCL Modem with whatever you want.

Resetting any modem needs re-configuring before use so save your settings before reset.

What if, Modem's DSL LED blink continuously and on the same line phone just work fine.

What is the issue? Is modem should be replaced?

Blinking depends on the modem. Check the settings.

Basically, on copper, your VPI/VCI are 0 and 103, username is your telephone no (e.g. 051xxxxxxx) and the password is PTCL. Pick PPPoE if asked.

[quote=“shaheerk, post:5, topic:14690”]

Blinking depends on the modem. Check the settings.

Basically, on copper, your VPI/VCI are 0 and 103, username is your telephone no (e.g. 051xxxxxxx) and the password is PTCL. Pick PPPoE if asked.

[/quote]

My phone is on fiber. SO what would be configuration settings for modem. Should I enter “xxx3xxxxx” as ID?

Fiber, I don't know. I'm using copper - so I'd have helped you out on that.

I just switched my modem too - ditched the old PTCL modem cause it gave me a problem with Smart TV every 4 or 5 days (and I'd have to reboot, and the modem takes eons just to reboot). I'm using T Link 8840T, and both DSL and Smart TV work. I didn't even have to map any port, and it works just fine!

And my login is actually my cell number, not my landline. Ask PTCL what the login is for your connection. On fiber, I can say that your VPI/VCI should be 8/81. The password is usually "ptcl".

One more thing: can anyone access their PTCL modem's admin page? I can't, and the admin/admin or root/root or ptcl/ptcl combo (or any other combination of the three) don't work. Yet another reason to ditch the modem.

[quote=“zorro, post:4, topic:14690”]

What if, Modem’s DSL LED blink continuously and on the same line phone just work fine.

What is the issue? Is modem should be replaced?

[/quote]

Can you post your Noise Margin and Attenuation values?

Phone and dsl work in a different way, if phone works fine that doesn’t mean DSL should too, check if the wire from pole to your house is in good condition? it shouldn’t have any joints, This also could be an issue of bad pair. Now a days modem usually work fine or they just die, so if your modem is booting up that means its fine :)

[quote=“shaheerk, post:7, topic:14690”]

One more thing: can anyone access their PTCL modem’s admin page? I can’t, and the admin/admin or root/root or ptcl/ptcl combo (or any other combination of the three) don’t work. Yet another reason to ditch the modem.

[/quote]

That means somebody reset your passwords. Press and hold the little reset button on the modem for a few settings and configure it accordingly, don’t forget to change admin password to something else other than admin. :P

[quote=", post:8, topic:14690"]

Can you post your Noise Margin and Attenuation values?

Phone and dsl work in a different way, if phone works fine that doesn’t mean DSL should too, check if the wire from pole to your house is in good condition? it shouldn’t have any joints, This also could be an issue of bad pair. Now a days modem usually work fine or they just die, so if your modem is booting up that means its fine :)

[/quote]

I don’t know what is the source of your knowledge about PTCL modems. But, The guy from PTCL came by for solve the problem. He did check installed modem by reseting and rebooting. Same problem was there.

Then, he replaced the installed modem with the other one he brought with himself. It worked just fine.

DO YOU STILL THINK THAT MODEM WAS NOT AT FAULT?

[quote=", post:9, topic:14690"]

That means somebody reset your passwords. Press and hold the little reset button on the modem for a few settings and configure it accordingly, don’t forget to change admin password to something else other than admin. :P

[/quote]

Well… I know that was an alternative, but I wanted to ditch the modem anyway. Thing is - I’m the only one in the house who knows the password… so I wonder who (or how) changed it. I know there’s a setting in the modem for remote controlling the settings (Echolife 510a) so - MAYBE (major speculative thinking) PTCL had done something on their backend? Eitherway, good luck to them now - cause I changed it :P

[quote=“zorro, post:10, topic:14690”]

I don’t know what is the source of your knowledge about PTCL modems. But, The guy from PTCL came by for solve the problem. He did check installed modem by reseting and rebooting. Same problem was there.

Then, he replaced the installed modem with the other one he brought with himself. It worked just fine.

DO YOU STILL THINK THAT MODEM WAS NOT AT FAULT?

[/quote]

Perhaps. But a usual reset does the trick. Make sure you save the backup config first before resetting… or sift through these threads carefully so that you know how to restore the modem settings.