Can I use 160GB HD with following specification

AOA ...

Friends i dont have much information abt comp Hardware ... i want to know that can i a use 160GB HD with following Specification ...

Board Intel D815EA , system model EA81510 , Processor intel origanal Pentium 111 700 MHZ , RAM 384 MB ... etc

Looking forward for experts advice ...

Regards .

u can use 160GB HDD with this config even the bigger ones can be used.

thanks brother ....

^But one I had the same processor and when I asked the vendor that I need 160GB for this computer,he said NO..I couldnt understand his NO..

I personally think that u can go for it!!!

Intel 815 chipset does not support SATA interface for new hard disks which are currently in market. It is not about capacity, it is due to your old motherboard which uses old IDE interface for hard disks. You can get old hard disks with IDE interface in marked but there will be no warranty on them.

Man u can easily get an ide harddisk in 160GB and 250Gb capacity both sata and ide hdds are available in the market so don't worry and go for it.

You can use SATA harddisk in motherboard that support PATA. You'll need either SATA-to-PATA adapter or PCI-card for SATA.

You can't use a 160GB hard disk on your system. Neither PATA nor SATA.

The reason is that your motherboard BIOS will not recognise such a high capacity hard disk because it is designed for another era.

Nowadays motherboards are manufactured such that you can update the BIOS. But I doubt you can update a p3 era motherboard. Even if you could I doubt there are any updates available that support 160GB HDDs.

Sorry I may have been wrong before. It looks like you may be able to use a 160GB PATA hard disk with your motherboard.

I did some googling and I found this info regarding hard disk sizes and mobo BIOS:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/482/2

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Since nowadays LBA mode is used, you could think that there is no more limitation in hardware for the maximum hard disk drive capacity. However, ATA interface uses a 28-bit variable to address sectors under LBA mode, creating a 128 GB (or 137 GB if you use the wrong definition of gigabyte) limit (2^28 x 512 bytes).

ATA-6 standard (a.k.a. ATA/100) increased the size of the LBA variable to 48 bits, pushing the size limit up to 128 PB (petabytes, one petabyte is 2^50, so 128 PB is equal to 131,072 TB) a limit that seems impossible to reach (let’s see 10 years from now if this statement continues to be true). By the way, this limit is also known as 144 PB limit, if the wrong definition of petabyte is used.

[/quote]

So according to the above you need ata-6 support in your mobo. Now can you confirm that your mobo is the Intel® Desktop Board D815EEA (You have written slightly different model number)? If that is correct then I found this page on intel's site:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815EEA/

According to the specs on intel's site your mobo does support ata 100(ata-6). So it looks like you may be able to use a 160GB PATA hard disk with your motherboard

Mery bhai I've run 250gb on intel 810 chipset so don't worry.

AOA ...

So friends finally you are agreed that i can use 160GB or Higher ???? . i dont understand this SATA , PATA ... just know abt IDE and IDE is avaibale on GLAXY's site who claim to update daily ....

Regards ..

dude the smart way is to take ur pc to galaxy check if ur pc supports the hdd and then buy it... that way all ur problems and querys will be solved...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

AOA …

So friends finally you are agreed that i can use 160GB or Higher ??? . i dont understand this SATA , PATA … just know abt IDE and IDE is avaibale on GLAXY’s site who claim to update daily …

Regards …

[/quote]

YEs you can use a 160GB hard disk. Galaxy uses incorrect terminology. When they say IDE they mean PATA. You will need to buy a PATA 160GB drive.

IF you want to learn the difference between ATA, IDE, PATA and SATA then visit this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment