Can a person's internet activity be monitored by the ISP

For the following cases:

1. A person having DSL connection with dynamic IP

2. A person using dialup connection on landline/mobile

i think it can be monitored and not a big deal but lets c what experts have to say about that

yes it can be monitored, and i also think it is not a big deal..

^ yes it can be monitored but at least in Pakistan you dont need to worry abt this as rarely any ISP monitors an individual users internet

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ yes it can be monitored but at least in Pakistan you dont need to worry abt this as rarely any ISP monitors an individual users internet
[/quote]

think again

and if ISP are asked they can monitor and sometimes provide previous usage records too

even a n00b cable net provider can do that

they can surely do that but the question is do they want to? yeah if you give them a good enough reason they will! :D (like hacking nadra’s website :P)

they can also reach at your home, how you may ask, well when you connect to dialup or dsl your phone number is shown on their side so they can easily trace you, even I can reach your home if you tell me your phone number (because phone line registration data like address and name are easily available on the internet)

^ yeah yeah i know that but i just said that internet monitoring here isnt like china where we wud be jailed just for writing a blog post against the government

^ yeah yeah i know that but i just said that internet monitoring here isnt like china where we wud be jailed just for writing a blog post against the government
[/quote]

hmm yeah that is a different thing

the anti piracy and cyber crime laws aren’t implemented yet here though they are trying to:

http://www.teeth.com.pk/blog/2007/09/08/draconian-cyber-crime-law-in-pakistan

Pakistani ISP's are required by law to maintain a log of each users online activities, as well as their emails, for a minimum of 3 months.

^wow! didn't knew that, its better not to get naughty

and what about forums, can a person posting on a forum be traced?

I mean a person always using the same internet connection with static or dynamic IP or dialup (don't know about IP in case of dialup)

^ yep

take it this way ur data flow like this

Your data -----> ISP -----> Internet

so the ISP can monitor everythin since the data goes through them

^ yep

take it this way ur data flow like this

Your data -----> ISP -----> Internet

so the ISP can monitor everythin since the data goes through them

[/quote]

I wanted to ask about the people hosting a forum or a blog, can they detect from where one is accessing their servers.

sorry for asking again n again, actually i have little knowledge about internet activity

^yeah! even which browser you use which operating system you use

they can easily get your IP but they cant request your location from the ISP

planning to spam some forum? :P

"monitoring of users" reminds of a UK news (which i red some time ago) where a woman went to jail and fined just for downloading pirated game over p2p networks. She was monitored by her isp.

Pakistani ISP’s are required by law to maintain a log of each users online activities, as well as their emails, for a minimum of 3 months.
[/quote]

What do you mean by emails. Are our hotmail, yahoo, gmail e.t.c accounts’ emails are checked by ISPs or u r talking about the email accounts hosted on their servers?

If emails are checked then where the heck is our privacy that these email service provider like yahoo e.t.c guarantee? :mad:

“monitoring of users” reminds of a UK news (which i red some time ago) where a woman went to jail and fined just for downloading pirated game over p2p networks. She was monitored by her isp.
[/quote]

We don’t have too strict anti piracy laws here yet and I love it!

We don’t have too strict anti piracy laws here yet and I love it!

[/quote]

We shouldn’t discuss this topic maybe someone from anti piracy department would be reading your post … hehe :D

^ lol

technically this is nothin wrong with discussin this as we r not "piratin" anythin

and i m sure the anti piracy group knows abt the "piracy situation" in pakistan

and i m sure the anti piracy group knows abt the “piracy situation” in pakistan

[/quote]

If they don’t, they better look for some other jobs then! :P

lol CDs are sold in rehris here (carts)

btw there is no anti piracy department here :D