Cable Media Group (CMG) Digital Cable Karachi

HI GUYS

Today my cable wala gave me a paper of digital tv channel list and Connection Application Form if im intrested in it

I called his owner to gather information about it

so he told me that we had 180 digital channels with 24 HD channels

im uploading the whole channel list picture

2 HD OSN CHANNEL TOO :D

the device he was saying that you have to buy nd its cost is 5000 one time ...

i asked him that can you make installment he said we can make this for 2 or 3 months max 4 months

nd the monthly charges is 600rs/month nd we can negotiate .....

here is the list

tell me guys about your views and what ur cable wala is offering you

in which area you are residing?

it really depends upon the connections and your cable wala technical skills.

[quote=“MrKamran, post:2, topic:21892”]

in which area you are reside?

it really depends upon the connections and your cable wala technical skills.

[/quote]

block 19 al noor society fb area......

may be ur right but i want to compare the monthly charges with the other areas as if its reasonable or not

DWn cost is 450rs per month. our local cable wala is also starting this thing where they put a cable box and get 250 chanels. but wire will still be from the cable.. the box will do all the decoding on same cable and provide 250 digital chanels, where the same cable coudnt do 80 channels clean or barely watchable.

i am sick of poor quality cable which shuts down when loadshedding half the day.

bhai pic tu sedhe la laite ajeeb

:angry:

No Pogo,Nick and cartoon network ?

[quote=“waqar22, post:5, topic:21892”]

bhai pic tu sedhe la laite ajeeb

:angry:

[/quote]

rotate krly bhai :P

analogue channel tu ayengy hi i think :/

[quote=“waqar22, post:6, topic:21892”]

No Pogo,Nick and cartoon network ?

[/quote]

what are you 12.

@junoon bhai rotate karna ka asan kaam aap bhe kar skatay thay .............kher

@kamran not i m not butm y siblings are :P

[quote=“MrKamran, post:8, topic:21892”]

what are you 12.

[/quote]

Every house has some one in that age group and below.. and they stay that age group for a paifully long time.. so these channels are a must

is there no hope for digital cable?

is there anyone in lahore using DWN where i can see its pic quality? their ecostar lcd in their head office had extremely poor quality.

My cable wala (i live in the same area in different block) is also offering the same package but in Rs. 500/month and a digital box which costs Rs. 5000. As per him, he is going digital.

I have a question though, they wont change the cables, are these cables enough to transfer HD reception with the help of digital box. I have a HD ready tv, will i experience true HD (atleast 720p) for the HD channel being offered here. Someone please help me to make a decision as i dont want to throw away Rs. 5000.

I consider myself a little noob with the cable thing so please dont pick on me if the questions above sound stupid, thanks.

no channel with be in HD.. not even DVD quality..

by digital, they add the WORD HD without knowing, cz of habit.. digital means all chanles will have equal clean reception with stereo sound. end chanles will be equal in signal as starting chanles of cable.. there are no chanels in HD.. since we are soo used to of crap cable, even a decent wateen sgnal looks like hd to majority of us.. thats why cablewala never gone to school choote will say HD without even knowing what the word HD stands for.

@topic.. the cble box system is coming to all over pakistan.. every cable wala i know is shifting to this system..cable box for 5k, and 500 per month..and they say generator or ups in head office will make sure that cable doesnot shut down in loadshedding

[quote=", post:11, topic:21892"]

My cable wala (i live in the same area in different block) is also offering the same package but in Rs. 500/month and a digital box which costs Rs. 5000. As per him, he is going digital.

I have a question though, they wont change the cables, are these cables enough to transfer HD reception with the help of digital box. I have a HD ready tv, will i experience true HD (atleast 720p) for the HD channel being offered here. Someone please help me to make a decision as i dont want to throw away Rs. 5000.

I consider myself a little noob with the cable thing so please dont pick on me if the questions above sound stupid, thanks.

[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cable

http://www.scatmag.com/technical/Digital%20TV-1.pdf

Yes cable is not an issue but the fact how cables are laid is. there should be no noise or any interference in signal for an ideal digital reception. or even analog. if you are getting you analog channels from start till end clean and clear then there are good chances of getting digital channels. for digital channels cable operators use certain number of analog frequencies to stream digital channels. one analog frequency can hold as many digital channels as bandwidth can handle or depending on compression. cable operators usually compress channels so badly to squeez as many channels per frequency as possible. so when they say they are providing larger number of channels as compare to any cable network it means most of the channels will look crap on tv specially on lcds. regardless of HD or not. Reason for that is a limited amount of analog frequencies allowed by PEMRA to utilize for digital transmission.

As far as transmitting HD channels is concerned, its not a big deal now days. it all depends on compression. DWN is providing 2 full HD 1080i channels with good picture quality. Nayatel is providing 15 HD channels which i haven't seen yet so i can't comment on that. what farhan said is also true. watching crappy cable tv channels for years even a clear good quality SD digital channel will look HD to many people :D but one with proper knowledge can spot the difference on HD lcd screens. so you can ask cable wala to come at your house with digital box and check if you are getting proper signal and if only if there is a good quality signal then you can check there HD channels line-up on your lcd. thats the proper way. :)

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-2-201418-Digital-Technology---The-future-of-Cable-TV

[quote=“ShuAK, post:13, topic:21892”]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cable

http://www.scatmag.com/technical/Digital%20TV-1.pdf

Yes cable is not an issue but the fact how cables are laid is. there should be no noise or any interference in signal for an ideal digital reception. or even analog. if you are getting you analog channels from start till end clean and clear then there are good chances of getting digital channels. for digital channels cable operators use certain number of analog frequencies to stream digital channels. one analog frequency can hold as many digital channels as bandwidth can handle or depending on compression. cable operators usually compress channels so badly to squeez as many channels per frequency as possible. so when they say they are providing larger number of channels as compare to any cable network it means most of the channels will look crap on tv specially on lcds. regardless of HD or not. Reason for that is a limited amount of analog frequencies allowed by PEMRA to utilize for digital transmission.

As far as transmitting HD channels is concerned, its not a big deal now days. it all depends on compression. DWN is providing 2 full HD 1080i channels with good picture quality. Nayatel is providing 15 HD channels which i haven't seen yet so i can't comment on that. what farhan said is also true. watching crappy cable tv channels for years even a clear good quality SD digital channel will look HD to many people :D but one with proper knowledge can spot the difference on HD lcd screens. so you can ask cable wala to come at your house with digital box and check if you are getting proper signal and if only if there is a good quality signal then you can check there HD channels line-up on your lcd. thats the proper way. :)

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-2-201418-Digital-Technology---The-future-of-Cable-TV

[/quote]

Wait a sec... isn't it the case that with analog, all channels are being pushed through at the same time through the cable within the bandwidth available (which is why the quality is crap), whereas with the digital tv box, only one channel will be streaming at a time, giving more bandwidth for a single stream...thereby allowing HD channels? Kind of like IPTV?

Nop. not like IPTV.

All the channels are transmitted at the same time no matter analog or digital, HD or SD. crappy quality is due to the compression level cable operators use. max 10 SD channels or 2 HD channels in MPEG-4 (6 SD or 1 HD in MPEG-2) format can be streamed per analog frequency without degrading quality. same is the case with digital terrestrial transmission (DWN for example).

I live in FB area block 8. Firstly my cable wala is not providing the box atm but he said that it will cost 5000 for the box and 700/month total (already charging 400/month for analog).

So i guess for 500 rs/month this digital cable is better than analog cable and ptcl iptv?

theoratically it should be.. in reality, dont know. it should be better, but the cost of device is too high.. it should be based on rental or monthly installments. 5000 upfront is too much.. 1-2 years latter, they will come up with an HD box requiring another 5000...

i am sick oif cable.. seriously thinking of going DWN but not sure of its actual pic quality.

^^^^Exactly what you said. it should be better but results are sometimes horrible. so better to check before paying any money. 5000 isn't too much but i have seen the quality of a cable box long time ago. it was a piece of cheap plastic box not worth more than 2000. so anyway... -_-

Most important thing to know if that cable operator renew your digital subscription regualrly or not. bcoz in past there were complaints that cable ops were not renewing/recharging their digital box's smart cards and subscribers were left with no option but to go back to analog. reason for that is most of the cable operators are just small area based loop holders for one big cable company. they get signal from that company through fiber and then redistribute it on regular coax cable to their specific area's subscribers. so that company actually provides them those digital boxes and responsible of renewing smart cards which they sometimes dont do due to personal clashes or any personal reason with some of their loop holders.

So one must thoroughly check all the things before opting digtal service from their local area cable op.

@farhan you can check quality at their office or at their local distributor's shop.

http://dwn.com.pk/images/scratchcards/LHRDealersScratchCardsSalesPoints.pdf

i did go to their office, on jail road.. they had this really small ecostar tv with hd box.. and the result was a washed out Antialiased smoothed artificial pic quality.. really poor considering its their hd box..many channels were letter boxed. and the quality, although consistent at all chanels, was not good at all considering 12k payment for it. the 2 HD chanels were just average too.

maybe it was the ecostar 32in tv at fault.. could be that the other better tv have better receptions. thats why i wanted to know if someone had the dwn at their home so i could see how it looks on better tvs... the decision would be very easy then.