Buying TeleVision

Hello guys,,

I want to buy an LED/LCD television for my home.

I want your opinion if I should go for a Samsung or Sony.

I personally like Samsung because of their sleek designs and better display quality.

What do you guys suggest or pro or cons w.r.t the fact that I am buying and using it in Pak (Islamabad)??

I will be playing XBOX mostly or watching movies downloaded from Internet.

Also i want to go for 50" plus size.

Thanks.

for gaming and movie stuff then you should go for Plasma TV it provides smooth view with 600Hz refresh rate but disadvantage is they have limited life time 8 to 10 years if watching time would be 4 to 5 hours a day plus they consume more electricity than LED , LCD TVs

another downside is All Plasma TVs start from 42" and Above You won't find any Plasma TV 32" 26" etc

Good thing about Plasma TV is they are Cheapo compare to LED LCD Tvs

Feedback!

I will go to market for this on 2nd of April and buy on the same day.

I will check for the services and warranty supplied by Samsung and Sony + how many formats they will be able to play via USB.

My preference will be series 7 or 8 Samsung as they have higher refresh rates.

I'll let you guys know with the experience.

I hate when Pakistanis (and even idiot Westerners) use wrong terminologies. Few years back, in Pakistani computer market, if a computer monitor has knobs then it was called "analog monitor" and if it has buttons then it was called "digital monitor". Even when those monitors had VGA connectors. Instead a real "digital" monitor would be which has DVI connector. But no, Pakistanis just called any buttons monitor as "digital" monitor even if it has VGA connectors.

Similarly, this new term of calling LCD TV/monitors as "LED" just because instead of florescent light (tube-light) they have bright-white LEDs as background light does NOT make them LED TV/monitor. If you have to call it then call it "LED-backlit LCD display". But God-forbid, please do not call it LED TV/monitor. Because original and real LED TV does exist and it is still in development phases and this new technology is currently very expensive but it has awesome results. Samsung is producing LED TVs (AMOLED). Sony is also experimenting with LED TVs (OLED). Many other companies are also experimenting with this new technology of LED TVs. If they are able to perfect the technology then in future, LED TVs will be cheaper than LCD/Plasma and they will be 4 to 5 times longer life (even surpassing CRT's life). The future is about LED TVs. But please for God's sake, do not called LCD TVs as LED TVs. Thank you.

[/End of Rant]

Actually Samsung started marketing their LED backlit LCD TVs in UK as LED TV and a case was filed in UK against Samsung and they had to stop these advertisements. This term LED TV probably comes from the advertisement from manufacturers.

[quote=“wampyr, post:4, topic:16823”]

I hate when Pakistanis (and even idiot Westerners) use wrong terminologies. Few years back, in Pakistani computer market, if a computer monitor has knobs then it was called “analog monitor” and if it has buttons then it was called “digital monitor”. Even when those monitors had VGA connectors. Instead a real “digital” monitor would be which has DVI connector. But no, Pakistanis just called any buttons monitor as “digital” monitor even if it has VGA connectors.

[/End of Rant]

[/quote]

I guess being harsh is not good :) though you are right in it but that is just marketing style of them as Ijaz have said already, Don’t you remember Dalda ghee and desi ghee. Now how many people know that Dalda is a company (Brand name,- they think it brand type), but we call every non-desi ghee as Dalda ghee, same applies in Surf, every washing powder is Surf… and the most important in technology is Genuine Intel (Pentium) and Celeron Computers :D

It is good to use right words but media does play its role.

don't confuse yourself in LCD and LED , LED consume less electricity thats about the only difference although picture quality is same on Both :D

When buying TV

make sure it is 1080p not HD ready

Brand names/specs in a 'price range' are nearly all the same - so choose the one 'you like' - you'll get a 12 mth warranty with it - and then your all set.!!

But i must say Plasma is a different thing

… Because original and real LED TV does exist and it is still in development phases and this new technology is currently very expensive but it has awesome results. Samsung is producing LED TVs (AMOLED). Sony is also experimenting with LED TVs (OLED). Many other companies are also experimenting with this new technology of LED TVs. If they are able to perfect the technology then in future, LED TVs will be cheaper than LCD/Plasma and they will be 4 to 5 times longer life (even surpassing CRT’s life). The future is about LED TVs. But please for God’s sake, do not called LCD TVs as LED TVs. Thank you.

[/quote]

Just for a clearer picture…

@armada

I'm really sorry, but who told you that LED backlight LCD TV has same display as simple LCD TV has? And he is already told that he is looking for Series 7 or 8 which is not only 1080p but higher class of 1080p with higher refresh rate, And plasma is oldest technology in it. very bad in room having lights in it....

This is some intro to 7 series and check if it is 1080p and motion rate of it :)

http://www.samsung.com/pk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UA55D7000LRSOT

@nvd650

Man LCD's and LED TVs basically work the same way...both have LCD screens...the difference is in the back light. LCD TV use a florescent bulbs to light the back of the screen...LED TV use Light Emitting Diodes to light the back of the screen. LED's use less power then florescent and has a much longer life span thats why LED are more pricy than LCD and Plasmas

sorry to say but i think you haven't seen recently introduced Plasma TVs now plasma tv's last much longer and comes with anti reflective coating

take the next plan to Hong Kong Maylasia etc and see there how fast things are changing (kidding) :D

LOLz LOLz @armada :) I totally agree with you on LCD and LED but my question is still there that who told you that both have same colors :D unfortunately I've 2 LED LCD tv's and one LCD TV in my house and hell of difference in color (I think don't need to mention that all are 1080p) :P

And again :D I agree you on plasma development, but who told you that world is only changing in plasma TV's :D and not in LED LCD TVs or LEDs and unfortunately again Sony had already launched it's LED TV with 800 MHz a year back... no hard feelings but if you remember a year back when I was planning to buy a TV for myself- I told in that thread that only problem with plasma is it's voltage and light reflective screen..... and back color is not that good as in LED tv or Plasma TV....

So leaving these points aside, his decision about Samsung 7-8 series is best one :)

I hate when Pakistanis (and even idiot Westerners) use wrong terminologies. Few years back, in Pakistani computer market, if a computer monitor has knobs then it was called “analog monitor” and if it has buttons then it was called “digital monitor”. Even when those monitors had VGA connectors. Instead a real “digital” monitor would be which has DVI connector. But no, Pakistanis just called any buttons monitor as “digital” monitor even if it has VGA connectors.

Similarly, this new term of calling LCD TV/monitors as “LED” just because instead of florescent light (tube-light) they have bright-white LEDs as background light does NOT make them LED TV/monitor. If you have to call it then call it “LED-backlit LCD display”. But God-forbid, please do not call it LED TV/monitor. Because original and real LED TV does exist and it is still in development phases and this new technology is currently very expensive but it has awesome results. Samsung is producing LED TVs (AMOLED). Sony is also experimenting with LED TVs (OLED). Many other companies are also experimenting with this new technology of LED TVs. If they are able to perfect the technology then in future, LED TVs will be cheaper than LCD/Plasma and they will be 4 to 5 times longer life (even surpassing CRT’s life). The future is about LED TVs. But please for God’s sake, do not called LCD TVs as LED TVs. Thank you.

[/End of Rant]

[/quote]

Dude relax… you are not the only one to know the difference between LED/LCD/back-lit LED LCD ;). when we say LED it obviously means that its LED back-lit LCD :)

Also what made you think that all the Pakistanis are idiots by default? == > referring to your term idiot Westerners.

I hate it too when people call Pakistanis as idiots :) :slight_smile: :).

Thanks to all others for their advises.

and yeah… anyone having experience running youtube app on their TV.

which TV is good for internet videos , Samsung or Sony???

After considering a lot I have crossed out the Plasma option.

Previously I had 40EX710 SONY and it had youtube but not that good, currently I've 40EX720 (3D Model, entry level) and it is very fine with videos- skype, facebook and twitter etc are also fine. I've never checked it's browser, DLNA is also fine but there is only one limit that you have to had an external USB receiver for it and to connect with wifi as well. While my cousin in Rawalpindi have Samsung 8 series 55" and if I'm not wrong wifi receiver is built in.

There are two difference in SONY and Samsung. Samsung is good in shape and also have very sharp and crispy colours as compare to SONY but there is much ghost images issue in it. In SONY shape/design is not as beautiful as Samsung but not ugly even. Colours are not crispy as of Samsung but more natural on the other side and plus point is Lesser or almost ignorable ghosting issue in it. Even ghosting effect is not noticeable in my entry level TV.

Rest decision is yours

[quote="bilalspcs, post:12, topic:16823"]

and yeah... anyone having experience running youtube app on their TV.

which TV is good for internet videos ,,, Samsung or Sony????

[/quote]

[quote=“nvd650, post:6, topic:16823”]

I guess being harsh is not good :) though you are right in it but that is just marketing style of them as Ijaz have said already, Don’t you remember Dalda ghee and desi ghee. Now how many people know that Dalda is a company (Brand name,- they think it brand type), but we call every non-desi ghee as Dalda ghee, same applies in Surf, every washing powder is Surf… and the most important in technology is Genuine Intel (Pentium) and Celeron Computers :D

It is good to use right words but media does play its role.

[/quote]

But I don’t call it “Dalda ghee”, I call it “Banaspati”. I don’t call it “surf”, I call it “detergent”. Neither I nor anyone in my home use these terms. That’s why I don’t get it why common people are so thick to use such words even when many of them know they are wrong. By the way, I am not harsh enough, I am just showing the mirror. If the reflection of our nation is not good then what I can do. :expressionless: At least I can inform people that they are using wrong terminology, maybe one or two of them will learn.

[quote=“bilalspcs, post:12, topic:16823”]

Also what made you think that all the Pakistanis are idiots by default? == > referring to your term idiot Westerners. I hate it too when people call Pakistanis as idiots :) :slight_smile: :).
[/quote]

Pakistani and Westerners whoever use wrong terminology to tell different technology are idiots. Just as if some one call Mac or Linux as Microsoft Windows then whether Pakistani or Westerner, they are idiots.

First of all, LCD is way more older technology then Plasma. Plasma has much better contrast ratio. LCD has pathetic contrast ratio. LED, OLED, AMOLED has superb contract ratio, almost like CRT.

LCD with florescent-back-light and LCD with LED-back-light are similar thing. Florescent-light gets "darker" with age. If you have two LCDs (one with florescent and other with LED back light) of same age (age of both TV must be same) and both have same "intensity" (brightness) then picture will be similar too. The problem is that when we put two LCD TVs side-by-side, then LCD with florescent usually is older in age and it's florescent has got weaker, whereas the LCD with LED-back-light is new with factory default "high brightness" that's why the LCD with LED-back-light looks more brighter. However, it is also true that after five years florescent light will get dim while LED-back-light has a much longer life that's why after 5 years it won't be that dim.

Having said that, search on YouTube for LG's 55-inch OLED TV. It is so awesome, so good results, awesome contrast that put LCD to shame. It is also very slim because it doesn't have back-light as with LCD. Current price is $8000 (cut from $10,000). By the end of 2013, the price for 55-inch OLED will be cut to half ($4000). Hopefully, after 5 or so years, the price of OLED TV will be closer to LCD TVs. I am already planning to buy OLED TV by 2014 (just 2 more years to go).

[quote=“wampyr, post:15, topic:16823”]

Pakistani and Westerners whoever use wrong terminology to tell different technology are idiots. Just as if some one call Mac or Linux as Microsoft Windows then whether Pakistani or Westerner, they are idiots.

[/quote]

IMO You can call it a “Misconception” rather than declaring them idiots.

[quote=“wampyr, post:16, topic:16823”]

Plasma has much better contrast ratio. LCD has pathetic contrast ratio. LED, OLED, AMOLED has superb contract ratio, almost like CRT.
[/quote]

Generally true because older LCDs had Edge Lit CCFL illumination and you can not produce true black on an LCD which is fully lit with single light source i.e. Edge Lit CCFL. But now with the advent of white LEDs, LCDs are available with backlit (full plane of white LEDs spread at uniform grid behind the full LCD and are individually controllable) the LCDs have improved very much in contrast.

[quote=“wampyr, post:16, topic:16823”]

LCD with florescent-back-light and LCD with LED-back-light are similar thing. Florescent-light gets “darker” with age. If you have two LCDs (one with florescent and other with LED back light) of same age (age of both TV must be same) and both have same “intensity” (brightness) then picture will be similar too.

[/quote]

There is still some difference because of color temperature of LED vs CCFL. LED illuminated LCDs tend to show better colors.

[quote=", post:18, topic:16823"]

There is still some difference because of color temperature of LED vs CCFL. LED illuminated LCDs tend to show better colors.

[/quote]

That is a definite truth…My very own experience…The colors really are vibrant and sharp…Compared to the CCFL technology where at times view is liquidy and colors are dispersed…And an overall power and size advantage also goes to LED back-lit panels too!

This is the future.

Check the video and if you have real interest in better audio/video then you'll be amazed by the contrast this machine can give. Just look at the blackness and color sharpness. The contrast and sharpness put LCD to shame. When they give the side view, can you see how thin it is? That is because OLED TV does NOT have any back-light, thus it is so thin. I would love to buy this machine one day, and I'll wait till its price will drop. Hopefully, after 5 or so years, these machines will be as cheaper as current LCDs. By the way, the market is getting warmer as LG, Samsung and Sony (hopefully other companies too) are jumping in to launch 55 inches (and other sizes too) OLED, AMOLED TVs. Hopefully, competition will help to mature the technology and hopefully to lower down the price too because it will be less expensive to build OLED/AMOLED TV compare to LCD TV.