Buying Laptop, need advice

Due to unscheduled power outage, I am forced to buy a laptop to continue my work. I am from Karachi and I do audio/music stuff. My desktop system is a P4 3ghz with 1gb RAM which is enough for my needs. I had my eye on the Intel Core 2 Duo processor for the laptop.

1: Will a 2ghz C2D powered laptop provide competitive performance against my P4 3ghz Desktop?

2: How do I verify the battery time claim by the seller, I can only afford a used system right now and from what I have seen, sellers claim the battery time to be from 1 to 2 hours to 2 to 3 hours. How do I know if they are telling the truth?

3: Any reseller in Karachi that you can recommend who is honest in your experience?

4: Any thing else I should look out for? I have actually never used a laptop before and am totally inexperienced when it comes to their problems.

Any input will be highly appreciated, I need to make the purchase today or on monday and my budget is RS 25k. I have checked various Pakistani websites for prices and it appears that in 25K I can get a 2ghz C2D with 1GB RAM (Dell mostly). My concern is with battery time and overall quality of the machine. Something like this:

http://www.pakistanlaptops.com/buy_used_laptop.aspx?laptop-name=Dell%20DD620%20Core%202%20Duo&laptopID=8889

Please help me and thanks a lot for reading!

P.S. I realize that maybe this thread should have been posted in BST forum, but my questions are more of the technical kind and advice related to buying stuff from local market, so I hope I haven't done anything wrong by posting it in General Tech.

2GHZ core 2 duo laptop would be enough for almost every task. if your buying a used system then i would recommend something like Dell XPS 1330 within your budget. the battery life on this laptop is good compare to others. almost every laptop do come with AC adapter and battery pack. 6cell or 9 cell. There are many things to decide when choosing laptop battery. like what will you be using laptop for and how much time will you be using your laptop.It is impossible to tell you exactly how long your battery will last. It always varies on what you are doing with your laptop.watching a movie will suck out much more battery life then working on powerpoint. But if you want rough estimates then you can expect about 2 and 3 hours on the 6-cell and around 5 hours on the 9-cell. you can also power on your laptop with AC adapter or power adapter that comes with it when your battery is low or is on the charge at the same time your using it. before buying make sure check everything include ports, speakers, screen for dead pixels and fan noises. if your getting a 1 , 2 hours battery with used system its ok and is normal.

You can check out many good deals at http://www.hafeezcentre.pk.

http://www.hafeezcentre.pk/Laptops/DELL-XPS-1330--Intel-Core2Duo-210Ghz-T7250-2-GB-Ram-430728.html

hope that helps.

2GHZ core 2 duo laptop would be enough for almost every task. if your buying a used system then i would recommend something like Dell XPS 1330 within your budget. the battery life on this laptop is good compare to others. almost every laptop do come with AC adapter and battery pack. 6cell or 9 cell. There are many things to decide when choosing laptop battery. like what will you be using laptop for and how much time will you be using your laptop.It is impossible to tell you exactly how long your battery will last. It always varies on what you are doing with your laptop.watching a movie will suck out much more battery life then working on powerpoint. But if you want rough estimates then you can expect about 2 and 3 hours on the 6-cell and around 5 hours on the 9-cell. you can also power on your laptop with AC adapter or power adapter that comes with it when your battery is low or is on the charge at the same time your using it. before buying make sure check everything include ports, speakers, screen for dead pixels and fan noises. if your getting a 1 , 2 hours battery with used system its ok and is normal.

You can check out many good deals at http://www.hafeezcentre.pk.

http://www.hafeezcentre.pk/Laptops/DELL-XPS-1330--Intel-Core2Duo-210Ghz-T7250-2-GB-Ram-430728.html

hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your guidance and suggestions. I will try to get a 9 cell battery and will definitely check all the ports before purchase along with dead pixels. About the fan noise, is the lack of noise a problem or presence of noise?

Once again, thanks for the response, I will be in the market tomorrow and hopefully will find a good system in my budget.

any kind of loud noises from a fan or hardisk is not normal and will give your problems. look out for hp and dell xps or inspiron core2 duo not dual core laptops. again check everything, dvd , cam , and get checking warranty too so you can be satisfied. :)

DEL D630

Product information

Processors : INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.2GHZ 4MB CACHE

RAM : 2GB DDR2

Hard Drive : 80GB SATA

Optical Drive : DVD RW

Screen Size : 14.1''WIDE TFT

Wireless : WIFI

Networking Built in 10/100

Ethernet 10/100, Modem

Additional Ports

4x USB 2.0

1x Mini IEEE 1394

1x Serial

1x VGA

1x Headphones

1x Microphone/Line In

1x Docking Connector

1x Cable Lock Sl

Acessories Charger & Mains Cable included

Battery OK TESTED MINIMUM 1:30 HOUR

A GRADE RS 23000

REGARDS

FATTANI COMPUTERS TECHNO BRANCH

DISPLAY CENTER SHOWROOM GD-10

HASRAT MOHANI ROAD KARACHI.

PHONE:32276755---37014587

FAX: 32472660

URL:WWW.FATTANICOMPUTERS.COM

CELL:0300-9204412

0321-8248070

0321-8282804

Hi

Thanks Sumair for your pointers, it really helped me.

For everyone else who would be interested in similar information, here are more details.

I bought the laptop couple of weeks ago. I got a Dell Latitude D620, 1GB RAM with 2Ghz Core 2 Duo (T7200). The price I got was pretty low for what is the normal rate in the market for this machine (I found someone I know in the market, got almost the wholesale rate of 19K, normally this system is around 23K to 25K).

The system is good, battery time is around one hour, just like you told me. Everything works ok, there are a couple of scratches here and there but that doesn't bother me.

I like working on it so much that I haven't touched my desktop system ever since.

The seller offered to arrange a nine cell battery for this system, he claims it will give me 3 to 5 hours (Rs 4000). I will buy that soon, lets see how that goes.

Also, I discovered that most of the hardware in this laptop (and I am assuming its the same with most laptops) is the low performance, cut-down type. The graphics card doesn't support anything recent, the processor speed is not what I was expecting but still better than P4 3ghz.

I hope that helps someone.