Buying an i7 system - need help

I want to buy a new system, but I do not play games on my PC. I mention this so you know I won't be overclocking, nor do I require extreme hardware. I want a robust system which is fast and lasts a while. I do, however, do a lot of work on videos and graphics, and also watch a lot of 1080p content.

I have the following system in mind:

Intel Core i7-920/940 processor

Asus Rampage II motherboard

XFX Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5 graphics card

Corsair HX520W power supply

6GB DDR3 RAM

What I need help with is, are any of the mentioned components overkill? Can anyone suggest better options, with regard to manufacturer and/or specs? Which casing do you guys suggest, maybe CoolerMaster or Thermaltake?

Thanks.

OMG OMG OMG...u dont want to play games on this setup :rolleyes:

a core 2 duo system wil suffice ur needs

but if u want to stick wid this setup get a CM HAF 932 casing

@dark-man: OVERKILL is HUGE understatement!! Phew, as poton 12 said... a C2D will suffice.

@poton 12: Why the hell r u recommending a HAF 932??? Even a Gladiator 600 or a CM690 is more than what is needed + the thing costs Rs.13000! (although I don't think Dark-man is much worried about cash)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@dark-man: OVERKILL is HUGE understatement!! Phew, as poton 12 said… a C2D will suffice.

@poton 12: Why the hell r u recommending a HAF 932??? Even a Gladiator 600 or a CM690 is more than what is needed + the thing costs Rs.13000! (although I don’t think Dark-man is much worried about cash)

[/quote]

It is NOT overkill. He has clearly stated he’s going to be video editing and working on graphics…he’ll need the horsepower. Go with more RAM…i’ve seen many professionals use 8+ GB ram on their setups, so if you are that intense, it’ll help you out.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

poton12:

I never said I don't want to play games on my PC, its just that my experience says investing in computer hardware to meet the system requirements for the most demanding games is an exercise in futility. I find my PS3 most suitable for gaming, its very powerful and quite future-proof....at least until PS4 comes out which shouldn't be for another 5 years, I hope.

psycorps'95:

The pc I use right now is a pre-C2D P4, 4 GB RAM and over 1 TB HDD. I am quite satisfied with it, as per my processing needs but I do find it slowing down a bit while converting HD videos. I guess with my needs a C2D with adequate RAM should suffice but at this point of time, I would rather invest in something that should last me a number of years, at least. Since the i7 is the latest on the market, I was hoping to get on the bandwagon. I must also admit my desire to get the very latest, if not the most powerful. Its a desire only us enthusiasts can understand.

As for cash, sure we're all worried about it. I would just like to spend it on something that is (a) new, (B) powerful and © satisfying.

v9s:

I am opting for 2GB x 3 RAM modules because 6 GB sounds like a good point to start. If and when I feel like upgrading the memory, I hope I can replace these. I appreciate your input but I wouldn't categorize my work is "intense". I'm an enthusiast, not a pro.

Guys, can anyone give me a ballpark figure for my rig? Or even better, actual prices if you have access to them? Please also tell me where I can purchase the XFX GPU and CoolerMaster PSU, and if I should consider a different manufacturer for my choice of motherboard, GPU and PSU.

One more thing: is there a significant difference between the price and performance of the i7 920 and 940 processors? I ask because I am a little outdated in these matters.

@ dark-man.... hmm, u r right about the enthusiasts part, I myself will buy an i7 based system this dec.

Anyways, go for the setup u have chosen... The prices are listed below:

Processor: Intel core i7 920 2.66ghz (4.8Gt/s) @ Rs.25000

Mobo: ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme @ Rs.33500

RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2 GB DDR-3 (1600 Mhz) @ Rs. 15000

Graphics Card: XFX Radeon 4870 1GB 256-bits DDR5 @ Rs.17000

Corsair HX 520w @ Rs.8000

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 @ Rs.13100

Prices have been taken from www.galaxy.com.pk, you can check live prices anytime from there

@dark-man

Whats your budget?

psycorps'95:

Thank you! Everything seems to be within reasonable range but the motherboard......33k for a motherboard? Does it include a real mother or what? Ok....this is clearly not a smart choice for me. Can anyone suggest a similar board but within or around 25k?

As for the casing, this full-tower seems to be overkill for me. I checked and the HAF 922 (the mid-tower) version seems more suitable. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with either? Any idea about the price? It is not listed on the galaxy website. Who is the distributor for CM casings?

deffury:

Between 50k to 100k, but more towards the 50k end please.

psycorps’95:

Thank you! Everything seems to be within reasonable range but the motherboard…33k for a motherboard? Does it include a real mother or what? Ok…this is clearly not a smart choice for me. Can anyone suggest a similar board but within or around 25k?

As for the casing, this full-tower seems to be overkill for me. I checked and the HAF 922 (the mid-tower) version seems more suitable. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with either? Any idea about the price? It is not listed on the galaxy website. Who is the distributor for CM casings?

deffury:

Between 50k to 100k, but more towards the 50k end please.

[/quote]

You chose an i7 system…be prepared to pay outrageous prices for the motherboard and DDR3 Ram!

Yes I expect that, but I don't want the very best......just good enough.

Dark-man.. Yeah, 33k is outrageous.. even for an i7. You should buy the ASUS p6t which is an excellent motherboard (I'm going to get one myself) and it is available for only Rs.22500 @ Galaxy. U can also check out the p6t deluxe which again is excellent for around Rs. 25000

As far as the HAF 922 is concerned, Galaxy doesn't have that any more and neither does Computer zone (www.czone.com.pk). In my opinion, the CM690 would be quite OK for u....

Mobo: Asus P6T Rs22500

GFX: XFX 4890 1GB Rs22000 or XFX Radeon 4870 1GB Rs.17000

RAM: 6GB Kingston 2GBx3(for now) Rs3400 each otherwise Corsair Trikit 6GB:1600 Rs.15000

PSU: CM 650W Rs.9300 (for O.C SLI) otherwise CM 600W Rs.5000

HDD: Seagate 1TB Rs.8800

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 processor Rs.24800

Casing: Any CM mid or full tower Rs.8000-20000 Buy ones with fans and cooling

@ deffury... there is a huge difference in the Kingston and the Corsair RAM (Kingston at 1333Mhz & Corsair at 1600 Mhz) and the i7940 AFAIK is NOT available in Pak.

BTW, a very happy independence day to u all!!!

^

Happy independence day to you too

I know that the RAMS are different, I was merely suggesting him that if he couldn't buy the corsair RAM then go for the cheaper alternative. As for the i7940, that was a mistake on my part, I meant i7920

Thank you, that is a lot of information. I guess the P6T does seem like a better option, what is the difference between the various versions of the P6T? There is the V2, the Deluxe.....etc.

And which RAM would be adequate for my use, 1066 / 1333 / 1800?

You say the resellers do not have the HAF 922 case anymore, but that just means they are out of stock....its not like they're never gonna get any more......right? I really like the case. My last casing was a Thermaltake Tsunami and I had to import it from Taiwan at the time. I'd rather not have to go through that exercise again.

The P6T deluxe is the best one out there.....

RAM, in my opinion, as you have a very powerful rig, should be 1600Mhz not less, but neither too much.

And yes, you are right, the resellers only have them out of stock, if they are ever available again, they will again list them.

Is there another source for CoolerMaster products, apart from Galaxy? They don't have either the PSU or casing in stock, and they won't even provide an ETA.

For best graphics Only The MaC, Not other onec, try buyining Apple

Yeah I've heard that before....but I am not buying a PC only for graphics.

For best graphics Only The MaC, Not other onec, try buyining Apple
[/quote]

???