Buying an Apple Ipod Touch 8gb version

Im thinking of buying this:

http://www.beliscity.com/music_mp3_players_apple_ipod/c9_132_718/p10023/apple_ipod_touch_8_gb/product_info.html

Its official price is 299$ and i wanted to know where in pakistan i can get it for 299$ exact? or less :P? Beliscity and Shopive are selling it for 21thousand or more. Is there any place from where i can buy it at 299$ aka 18000?

Secondly the Apple's official website has a feature for Ipod Touch. If you buy it off their website, then you can get 2 lines engraved at the back of your ipod like this:

http://www.chingling.net/blog/images/2007/10/ipod-touch02.jpg

I think thats pretty cool, The problem is through Apple's website you can only order in the US. So is there anyway i can buy the Ipod from here in karachi and also get 2 lines engraved at the back?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Im thinking of buying this:

http://www.beliscity.com/music_mp3_players_apple_ipod/c9_132_718/p10023/apple_ipod_touch_8_gb/product_info.html

Its official price is 299$ and i wanted to know where in pakistan i can get it for 299$ exact? or less :P? Beliscity and Shopive are selling it for 21thousand or more. Is there any place from where i can buy it at 299$ aka 18000?

Secondly the Apple’s official website has a feature for Ipod Touch. If you buy it off their website, then you can get 2 lines engraved at the back of your ipod like this:

http://www.chingling.net/blog/images/2007/10/ipod-touch02.jpg

I think thats pretty cool, The problem is through Apple’s website you can only order in the US. So is there anyway i can buy the Ipod from here in karachi and also get 2 lines engraved at the back?

[/quote]

Well at MediaCenter its Rs.22,500 when it should be around Rs.18,000. I don’t know about the other shops though. Galaxy.com.pk has it listed for Rs.18,500.

Any shop not in Defense or Clifton will probably not have a premium for their location, but maybe that’s not true anymore!

And no, you can only get it engraved if you buy directly from the online store, and since we don’t have one of those you can’t get an engraving unless you get it done from somewhere else. Either have someone buy it for you from the online store or buy one from here and get it engraved from some third-party, but I don’t think the latter is such a good idea…

EDIT: Also, be sure the January software update is included - I mean the extra apps like mail and stuff.

Im actually buying it as a gift so it would have been pretty cool if i could have got some engraving done on the back maybe the initials of the person I'll give to. And yeah getting engraving from a third party doesn't sound so good to me.

Galaxy's price seems decent enough.

Can someone guide me where is the Glaxy's Gulshan-e-Iqbal branch ?

Well at MediaCenter its Rs.22,500 when it should be around Rs.18,000.
[/quote]

How do you actually come to that conclusion? On the US website, Apple is selling the product for 299.00, which you calculate to be roughly Rs 18,000. (even if you apply the latest exchange rate, the figure comes to around 19,500, not 18,000)

Check out apple.com.sg, the iPod touch 8GB there is for 498SGD, which in PKR is Rs. 23,564 (just google for conversion)

www.apple.com/uk has the iPod touch 8GB for 199 Pounds, which is around PKR 25,409

Since i know a thing or two about importing and clearing products, how do you assume, that the iPod touch 8GB which in USA is retailing for 299, should fly itself to Pakistan, clear itself from customs (with no duties, taxes, freight and customs / clearing costs) and be available to you for that exact same rate, as in the USA? which is totally a separate market.

Now galaxy and other vendors may have different ways of importing items, especially if they import from the UAE, they have their warranties expired by Apple.

So my math is a little off. Can you really blame me for wanting the best price I can get? If Galaxy can sell at 18,500 then why can't the others? Galaxy doesn't seem to be an official reseller so lets take a look at the Apple store locater (Asia).

PakMac is on the list just like MediaCenter and they have the iPod Touch 8GB listed at Rs. 18,000. And the 16GB at 24,000. If they're an official reseller (according to Apple) and they can import and sell at 18k why can't the others?

i agree with your point, but we can keep arguing as far as prices are concerned.

Check out their (Pakmac's) MacBook pro pricing, Rs.147,000, same is available At MediaCenter for Rs 137,000, thats a whopping Rs 10,000 difference.

Also check out the MacBook and MacBook Air pricing for example.

The thing is, when you import such items together, you can shift the costs on to different products depending on demand of that particular product.

To prove my point again, check out btec pricing, they too are retailing the iPod touch 8GB for Rs 22,500.

I guess pricing varies from city to city as well, even when the original cost of such products is the same across the board.

I see what you mean. So it's understood now that if you want an ipod touch go to Pak Mac, and if you want a MacBook Pro go to MediaCenter! :D

I think this just goes to show that you should always comparison shop - look around and see where you get the best prices.

EDIT: I just called Pak Mac to ask if they ship to Karachi and they say it'll be Rs.20,500. :|

Thanks alot guys :D

Also i wanted to know, whats the least price of an Iphone here in karachi? Because if i can get one while putting an extra 5-8K then i might go for it.

Here is a vote for Media Center:

Just make sure that your iPod is sealed, and comes with a valid warranty. I would not be surprised if you walk into one of these stores (like galaxy) and they offer you an iPod with warranty for X, and an iPod without warranty of the stated price.

A lot of these people import them from the US via Suitcase i.e. grey market, they are legitimate units, but smuggled in without paying duties etc...

I don't believe these units are stolen, but if they are, then Apple is known to blacklist serial numbers, so watch out. I know a lot of people are willing to "provide" mysteriously missing from truck goods in North America. Big box sales staff (desi, redneck, chinese, tamil) are particularly notorious for this sort of stuff.

Can someone guide me where is the Glaxy’s Gulshan-e-Iqbal branch ?
[/quote]

from NIPA start going towards Gulshan Chowrangi, their branch is on the left side of the road where there are some english language centre’s

ask the media centre guys if they will be engraving it?

ask the media centre guys if they will be engraving it?
[/quote]

When I was buying the iPod Nano, I asked MediaCenter if they would engrave it and they said no they can’t.

I ended up having a relative buy one from the online store and bring it here. Got it engraved too. :)

Engraving on Apple's products is done at the factory in some Chinese province, it is not done locally anywhere, including Apple Stores. That being said, if you are ever in San Francisco, there are bunch of people out there, who have got their hands on a laser engraver and are willing to embellish your gadgets for a fee. For more information, check out the MAKE blog.

Ahan. And whats the lowest price i can get an Iphone for ?

I've heard that 8GB iPhones can be had for anywhere between 30-35K in Karachi, no idea about the 16GB model though. Most 4GB units currently in the market are refurbs albeit those directly released from Apple, so buyer beware. 4GB units are no longer manufactured by Apple.

I’ve heard that 8GB iPhones can be had for anywhere between 30-35K in Karachi, no idea about the 16GB model though. Most 4GB units currently in the market are refurbs albeit those directly released from Apple, so buyer beware. 4GB units are no longer manufactured by Apple.
[/quote]

Thanks.

Anyway Iphone’s really falling out of range so i guess ill stick to the Ipod Touch for now. Thanks alot for everyone’s help on this thread :).

Let us know where you get it from in the end and how it goes!