Buying a new TV

Hey everyone,

Thinking of buying a new TV as considering upgrade from old school crt tv. But so far what I have noticed is that most models being sold here do not have decent reviews in good tech websites and sometimes no reviews at all as they are some crappy South Asian specific models or something.

I'm hoping to get reasonably decent panel quality, brand is not important.

Do not have much need for the 'smart tv' gimmick as I will mostly attach laptops/phones/tablets to view content. And family will watch their cable wallah content squished to a differnt aspect ratio but thats their problem.

Basically need the best picture quality for the lowest price without the extra gimmicks.

Considering buying between 32 to 42 inches, not any bigger than that.

Will be buying in Lahore.

Looking forward to some good recommendations.

Samsung D 5 and 6 series..

Sony CX series.. EX and especially BX series are BS..!!

buy a used lcd in 32 in warranty.. will save you money and you can buy more expensive superior models.... and still have warranty cover.. so you would be safe.

How about Samsung Vs. LG? Which one will be better feature and quality wise?

And I agree. Sony LCDs are in fact BS! Telling it from personal experience.

Having a warranty sometimes is not enough. If someone is selling an item in warranty, there is a possibility of a fault that company refused to cover under warranty, and no option left for the original buyer than to sell it in the market without telling the fault, and the headache will be for the new buyer. Again, telling it from experience :-) So my suggestion to OP: go for a new one.

Also, Orient LCDs are coming in cheap these days. Has anyone had first hand experience yet?

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I did some research and made some refinements in my criteria.

The family will usually watch the news and their drama channels on the TV and will probably be unable to tell the difference in picture quality between different brands.

I will either stream content, or attach a laptop to display content on screen and will most definitely also be attaching laptop through HDMI for gaming on the big screen. So I'm guessing I need low input lag (max of 16 ms from what I have read), and a TV that can display 4:4:4 (very helpful for PC mode)

@farhan_ds:

I cannot find Samsung D series online (have not done an in-person market search yet).

So far, I seem to have found 3 models that interest me.

in LED :

http://www.saqiscity.com/productdetails.php?id=7852 (this is 39 inches screen size)

http://www.saqiscity.com/productdetails.php?id=2966 (42 inches screen)

and in Plasma:

http://www.saqiscity.com/productdetails.php?id=3008

The only reason I am considering plasma is that its really cheap for that size and picture quality, and from what I have read, gives better response times, lesser input lag and deeper blacks. Greater heat generation and power consumption are not issues because the CRT tv already has made us used to that.

But I fear that the plasma may lack other elements such as the PC specific features that I need, such as Chroma subsampling which is absolutely necessary for using PC with these tv's. I also was unable to sign up on the AVS forum to ask which of these tv's is compatible.

One last thing, where should I buy from (low prices and honoring of the warranty) from Lahore?

Thanks again!

I have seen and used the EH5000 aswell , They use the same panel as a 40" LCD but the CFL's are replaced by backlit led's Hence, the market sells it like LEDTV , But it is just as Fat, and Power hungry as a 40" LCD..

Now this one from the F-series (40F5100) is a newer model, and much sleek and elegant. It uses latest EDGE LED's, and isnt that power hungy!

Dimensions most importantly, It is very very thin, Just 22mm(7/8th of an inch) thin at the thinnest point and a slightly curved back with maximum thickness of 40mm

(1 5/8") These are some amazing dimensions for a base model..

It was PKR73000 when i bought i couple of months ago.. Now it might be available more readily and could be cheaper!

[quote=“unikorn, post:3, topic:20185”]

How about Samsung Vs. LG? Which one will be better feature and quality wise?

And I agree. Sony LCDs are in fact BS! Telling it from personal experience.

Having a warranty sometimes is not enough. If someone is selling an item in warranty, there is a possibility of a fault that company refused to cover under warranty, and no option left for the original buyer than to sell it in the market without telling the fault, and the headache will be for the new buyer. Again, telling it from experience :-) So my suggestion to OP: go for a new one.

[/quote]

LG are made in Korea.. Samsung mostly in china... build quality is exactly what this statement would make it sound like..

Warranty is not a repair reason for selling.. most of the times people just would want to upgrade to a bigger set.. i currently have a 32 inch Malaysian made Sony CX series which is a CCFL , and also one of the rarest models to have full 1080p in 32 inch.. it was 2x the price of standard 32inch at that time..and still is far more expensive, due to wifi and 1080p, and made in malaysia panel.. having used a 22 before, this 32inch jump was a huge step for me... having being used to of its size ,now i wouldnt mind going for a 40+ if my tv fetches me a good price, and it is still more than half way in warranty... my reason for upgrade would only be larger screen.. my lcd still has its border protectors on it :P..

[quote="unikorn, post:4, topic:20185"]

Also, Orient LCDs are coming in cheap these days. Has anyone had first hand experience yet?

[/quote]

All chinese local tv have big issue of very very slow response time from the remote channel change and other features on screen.. plus pixelated screen, which is fimne for tv cable, but very noticeable on hi def like PC input..they may soon improve though as technology becomes cheaper..

[quote="djayz, post:6, topic:20185"]

I have seen and used the EH5000 aswell , They use the same panel as a 40" LCD but the CFL's are replaced by backlit led's Hence, the market sells it like LEDTV , But it is just as Fat, and Power hungry as a 40" LCD..

Now this one from the F-series (40F5100) is a newer model, and much sleek and elegant. It uses latest EDGE LED's, and isnt that power hungy!

Dimensions most importantly, It is very very thin, Just 22mm(7/8th of an inch) thin at the thinnest point and a slightly curved back with maximum thickness of 40mm

It was PKR73000 when i bought i couple of months ago.. Now it might be available more readily and could be cheaper!

[/quote]

LED and LCD dont have that much difference in power consumption or performance.. just cz LED lamps are cheap, they can put more to compensate for the dimmness of LED , thus almost amounting to the same power consumption... if it is not multi lamp edge lit led, then it would be darker compared to most LCDS.., exceptions are there, but then price difference becomes larger with quality.

once you hook up a tv to either wall mount or a stand on trolley, its dimensions become a non issue. that show shapakka is only for display centers and bragging..

In my opinion Sony is best in picture quality.

[quote=“djayz, post:6, topic:20185”]

[/quote]

Thanks for the varied input and helpful details guys. I've locked down a few things.

The first is that I absolutely need a TV that allows for Chroma subsampling. follow the link in my post above.

Secondly, with the super low quality LED's available in the market, and the fact that power consumption is not an issue for me (will be running the TV on generator half of the time anyways), its probably better to go with a Plasma due to its better picture quality in the lower price segment, as well as much lesser input lag and response times.

Any idea where to buy from in Lahore?

dont fall into trap of low latency plasma in PK.. the one model dominating market is the samsung 43 in plasma for 43 k. and that is the cheapest you may find in the world from samsung... imagine the cheapest model from a company... now imagine that again in terms of specs..

good spec plasmas are over 100k for 46+ size... and mostly from panasonic.. and little availability.. but those are excellent plasmas...

if all you want is large screen, look at nobel / TCL models.. their display center is at center point market near the signal. they are a very old company now, and international brand, and very very affordable.

if you can afford.. LG has great quality LCDs at reasonable prices... they are the awkward middle segment in LCDs, where the best trade between quality and price is met. plus they are under warranty as well

Panasonic U and X series are Japanese IPS panels with Japanese Caps. meaning highest quality, and highest reliability , depending you use it on a Sine wave UPS, not generator.. but they are expensive.,.. even the U20/30 is excellent but new models have replaced them

if you are looking for something in buget, then you should look for someone who is selling his LCD, but in Warranty... warranty will save you a lot of money and tension free from problems ...

LCDs especially Plasmas are not meant to run on generator,, they are sensitive equipment, and they will get damaged.. especially plasma where you run the risk of ruining the whole panel, instead of the LCDs where the 1st problem would be either the transformers or the coils,,,panel would be safe at 1st..

I am using Samsung Smart Tv es6200 3d tv with 40 inches. I am more than satisfied. The quality of both 2d and 3d is amazing.

[quote=“Soheb.qureshi, post:11, topic:20185”]

I am using Samsung Smart Tv es6200 3d tv with 40 inches. I am more than satisfied. The quality of both 2d and 3d is amazing.

[/quote]

what is the price of this Samsung Smart Tv es6200 3d tv?from where u have bought.

[quote=“afzalx, post:12, topic:20185”]

what is the price of this Samsung Smart Tv es6200 3d tv?from where u have bought.

[/quote]

I bought box packed Malaysian imported for 83k. Samsung shops is offering the same for 110,000.

can u give me address of that shop?I want to buy

[quote=“Soheb.qureshi, post:13, topic:20185”]

I bought box packed Malaysian imported for 83k. Samsung shops is offering the same for 110,000.

[/quote]

can u give me the shop address from where u bought?

[quote=“afzalx, post:15, topic:20185”]

can u give me the shop address from where u bought?

[/quote]

From which city are you?

[quote=“Soheb.qureshi, post:16, topic:20185”]

From which city are you?

[/quote]

lahore

I live in pindi.

I bought a sony LCD sony 46bx450 for just 60k rupees from metro anniversary offer.I should have bought two of those stil miss the deal

Need suggestion on which LCD to buy , thinking of buying a lcd tv 40 inches, which one is the best choice for me

bravia-not full hd! dynamic contrast ratio 15000:1

samsung-full hd dynamic contrast ratio 15000:1

scarlet-LG60 -not full hd dynamic contrast ratio 50000:1

</p><p> </p>