Buying a new Digital Cam: A headache for me

Hi..... I am looking for a digital camera in the price range 10k to 15k but I am stuck with so many choices and having no knowledge of 1/2.3" CCD sensor, Optical & Digital Zoom, Image stabilization, NFC connectivity, and of course very large price changes with just minute changes in specs. Here are some of the Cams I liked but I am confused which one to buy and why. Please help me understand technical aspects of selection. Thanks

1. http://www.symbios.pk/samsung-wb50f-digital-camera

2. http://homeshopping.pk/products/Samsung-WB35F-Smart-Digital-Camera-Black--in-Pakistan.html

3. http://www.symbios.pk/samsung-camera-dv100

(what are the pros/cons of front cam?)

4. http://www.symbios.pk/samsung-st150f-digital-camera

Please also suggest any other good website to look for.

Choice of a camera depends upon your usage and the particular features you want.

Digital zoom is crap. Always look for higher value of optical zoom e.g. 10x or higher is probably best.The larger the sensor size, the better and bright pictures you will have.

Image stabilization is a great feature, I would say "a must have". NFC is not so useful unless you have other NFC enabled devices, you may consider it similar to bluetooth.

Look for a camera with removable and easily available battery. Also the memory option should allow to use third part memory cards. Olympus uses it's proprietary XD card which are quite expensive.

I just checked the links, looks like you are inclined towards Samsung. IMO the most critical part of digital camera is it's Optics which Samsung has no experience. Samsung is good at electronics but I doubt the quality of optics. My vote would be for Cannon, Nikon or Olympus who have been making cameras and optics for decades.

However, you may like to read some professional reviews before you make a purchase on a particular model. From your links, I would prefer WB50F

^ ditto and rather sticking to NFC buy camera with wifi enabled with this you won't need a pc to upload pictures on social media / Flickr etc and you could also connect your camera to your home network

visit dpreview.com

[quote=", post:2, topic:21303"]

Choice of a camera depends upon your usage and the particular features you want.

Digital zoom is crap. Always look for higher value of optical zoom e.g. 10x or higher is probably best.The larger the sensor size, the better and bright pictures you will have.

Image stabilization is a great feature, I would say "a must have". NFC is not so useful unless you have other NFC enabled devices, you may consider it similar to bluetooth.

Look for a camera with removable and easily available battery. Also the memory option should allow to use third part memory cards. Olympus uses it's proprietary XD card which are quite expensive.

I just checked the links, looks like you are inclined towards Samsung. IMO the most critical part of digital camera is it's Optics which Samsung has no experience. Samsung is good at electronics but I doubt the quality of optics. My vote would be for Cannon, Nikon or Olympus who have been making cameras and optics for decades.

However, you may like to read some professional reviews before you make a purchase on a particular model. From your links, I would prefer WB50F

[/quote]

Thank you for taking time to look into the issue.

I would definitly include Cannon, Nikon and Olympus in my options now.... All cameras should support microSD memory card :)

WB50F is my first choice too.... but now I'll have to look for Cannon and Nikon too

[quote=“yousaf465, post:4, topic:21303”]

visit dpreview.com

[/quote]

Yes yousaf I took a lot of help from this website for detailed technical specifications of cameras

[quote=", post:6, topic:21303"]

Yes yousaf I took a lot of help from this website for detailed technical specifications of cameras

[/quote]

you can also ask in their forums

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hi..... I am looking for a digital camera in the price range 10k to 15k but I am stuck with so many choices and having no knowledge of 1/2.3" CCD sensor, Optical & Digital Zoom, Image stabilization, NFC connectivity, and of course very large price changes with just minute changes in specs. Here are some of the Cams I liked but I am confused which one to buy and why. Please help me understand technical aspects of selection. Thanks

1. http://www.symbios.pk/samsung-wb50f-digital-camera

2. http://homeshopping.pk/products/Samsung-WB35F-Smart-Digital-Camera-Black--in-Pakistan.html

3. http://www.symbios.pk/samsung-camera-dv100

(what are the pros/cons of front cam?)

4. http://www.symbios.pk/samsung-st150f-digital-camera

Please also suggest any other good website to look for.

[/quote]

+1 Everything ijaz said..

few important things to consider while buying a low buget cam

1 - you concern about sensor in case of point and shoot camera is not a significant one.. granted there would be some differences but in your buget you are looking for basic photography..not a high end camera where sensor and low light shooting with higher ISO values would make a difference

2 - you should first define why you need a digi cam for? party? functions? portraits? medical pics? nature? or just cz you need to get rid of film? your choice dictates the main type f camera you will need

3 - samsung is new in cam market, that is why they are offering lots of bells whistle features like NFC and Wifi in their cams at low price.. but these are just extra features not useful in PK.. cable connection is fine and speedy for phototransfer.. if you must, then buy a simple card reader for 400rs and you wont need cable..NFC doesnt work here as there are very very few people with even less nfc devices.

4 - Optical Zoom is always 100000 times better than digital zoom.. 3x is minimum.. 5x is a very good zoom range.. in your buget you should stick with a small zoom pocket cam..cheaper cams with large zoom lenses would compromise in mage quality

5 - Donot expect miracles from your 1st cam.. its not a DSLR, not even a bridge cam.. it will take quick and good vibrant images for storage purpose and small prints.. and will be very versatile .. and you will enjoy it a lot, but donot compare its image quality to a 50k DSLR, you will be disapointed

6 - i would recommend you borrow someone digicam for a week, and do lots of photography, so you may understand what digital cams are all about, how they eel, how they use like, how to modifiy settings to get different results with diff settings.. you will also get an idea of pic quality fr that model and that price range, then you wont be utterly shocked or dissapointed or be over joyed and happily surprised with your new cam images...shock will be reduced and you will be glad to accept your brand new camera.

NOTES:

since you are new to photography, and your weblink is a very selective choice, you should search out Nikon and canon, along with the heavily missed by every one "SONY".. despite the fact i dislike majority of sony stuff, they make the best buget Digicams.. Nikon and canon have the BEST cams in high end range, unbeatable , .. but very low quality cams in buget range. they have poor quality pics, grainy and dark gritty outputs..Sony on other hand make excellent mid range cameras..their top end may fall short to nikon and canon, but mid range have a lot of better features and quality than anything else on the market.

Also, if you are on a restricted buying aproach, why not buy a used cam in good condition from someone, ? in that way you would be able to afford a 25k camera quality in 15-17k buget range..

that jump is a huge one, and there are excellent quality cameras in market that fall in that range.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:21303”]

1 - you concern about sensor in case of point and shoot camera is not a significant one.. granted there would be some differences but in your buget you are looking for basic photography..not a high end camera where sensor and low light shooting with higher ISO values would make a difference

2 - you should first define why you need a digi cam for? party? functions? portraits? medical pics? nature? or just cz you need to get rid of film? your choice dictates the main type f camera you will need

[/quote]

1. Yes, I am looking for basic photography

2. And just for parties, functions. Not beyond this point. Not professional photography stuff.

[quote="farhan_ds, post:8, topic:21303"]
3 - samsung is new in cam market, that is why they are offering lots of bells whistle features like NFC and Wifi in their cams at low price.. but these are just extra features not useful in PK.. cable connection is fine and speedy for phototransfer.. if you must, then buy a simple card reader for 400rs and you wont need cable..NFC doesnt work here as there are very very few people with even less nfc devices.

4 - Optical Zoom is always 100000 times better than digital zoom.. 3x is minimum.. 5x is a very good zoom range.. in your buget you should stick with a small zoom pocket cam..cheaper cams with large zoom lenses would compromise in mage quality

6 - i would recommend you borrow someone digicam for a week, and do lots of photography, so you may understand what digital cams are all about, how they eel, how they use like, how to modifiy settings to get different results with diff settings.. you will also get an idea of pic quality fr that model and that price range, then you wont be utterly shocked or dissapointed or be over joyed and happily surprised with your new cam images...shock will be reduced and you will be glad to accept your brand new camera.

[/quote]

3. As ijaz said, supported memory card should be commonly and cheaply availabe. Do all cams in this range support such feature?

4. I was trying to buy a cam with high end Optical Zoom but if it compromises image quality in low budget cams, then I have to think of only 5x cams. Do I?

6. My Uncle has Samsung ST72 16.2MP with 5x Optical Zoom. I am satisfied with it except that it does not have wifi. The pics it makes with 16.2MP have 4608x3456 pixels.

[quote="farhan_ds, post:8, topic:21303"]
since you are new to photography, and your weblink is a very selective choice, you should search out Nikon and canon, along with the heavily missed by every one "SONY".. despite the fact i dislike majority of sony stuff, they make the best buget Digicams.. Nikon and canon have the BEST cams in high end range, unbeatable , .. but very low quality cams in buget range. they have poor quality pics, grainy and dark gritty outputs..Sony on other hand make excellent mid range cameras..their top end may fall short to nikon and canon, but mid range have a lot of better features and quality than anything else on the market.

Also, if you are on a restricted buying aproach, why not buy a used cam in good condition from someone, ? in that way you would be able to afford a 25k camera quality in 15-17k buget range..

that jump is a huge one, and there are excellent quality cameras in market that fall in that range.

[/quote]

Very Low quality cams in my budget range for Nikon and Canon??? Then should I not look for them at all?? From your opinion, I think I should opt for Samsung or SONY in my budget.

Since I am newbie, Used cams in good condition would be hard to find in market.

Thank you so much for your effort farhan_ds

1 - for basic photography in new, anything between 15-17k would be decent. should have a big flash for indoor shooting

2 - for basic photos especially indoor, you dont need a big zoom, you can just move towards your subject a little.. also 3x zoom is quite enough.

3 - most cams have SD, MicroSD, Memory stick for sony or Compact flash cards.. all of them are easily available, all of them are easy affordable.

4 - wifi is not a special thing,, this will not be a very very essential feature.

5- Sony W series is a good starting point for newbies.. however every buget cam is a buget cam, donot expect miracles.. changing settings will lead to a better picture.. that is what photography is all about, understanding your camera whichever it is

6 - there are 1000s of cameras available for sale by users who either got it as a gift or looking for upgrade.. if you search you can find very good deals..we do that routinely..

well..... I am going for this one. Hope this one fulfils my needs.... I am definitly not expecting miracles.

http://homeshopping.pk/products/Sony-DSCW810-Silver-Digital-Camera-in-Pakistan.html

^ that is actually an excellent camera for its price..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:12, topic:21303”]

^ that is actually an excellent camera for its price..

[/quote]

Thank you :)

Instead buying from homeshpping i suggest go to sony center.

Visit nisbat road and you can get this camera cheaper than Sony center with Sony warranty

I bought my Nikon cam and Nikon center guy was selling 2k high than market

And buy class 10 card or higher speed memory card

What is the exact market price of DSLR CAMERA????? with all its accessories like, umbrellas, stand lenses etc

check on shophive.com for prices