Buying a new AC, any recomendations?

Alright geeks/freaks

I just came back from muree road home electronics market after checking out the brand/prices of the ACs. not much difference in prices but now I need some nerdy advice from you geeks which one should I go for....

Here's what I have found about 1.5 ton split AC, various brands after taking price quotations from 7 shops. B)

Imported brand:

Mitsubishi electric: 56000 - 56500 Rs.

Mitsubishi Heavy something: 58000 - 57000 Rs.

L.G. : 53500 % 56000 Rs.

Samsung: 57000 & 46000 RS. (the person who said 46K tols me that samsung is locally assembled if anybody is asking more price then this is simply ripping you off... is that true?)

Panasonic: 55900 & 53900 & 48000 RS

Sharp: 46000

GABA National: 45000 Rs

General: 72000 RS.

Local/chines:

Haier: 42900 - 38000 RS.

Dawlance:

Gree: 42500 - 45000

Kenwood: 36000 RS

Orient: 39000 & 38000 RS

I have no Idea about any specific model of any brand niether did I ask cause I didn't know.

I can go for any one of these based on your recommendations but don't hesitate to recommend a local/chines brand if you think its worth the money and is a solid thing.

Since I have already mentioned I don't know about any specific model so please when you recommend, do so with telling the specific model as well. as there are lots of models in 1.5 ton by a single brand.

Tomorrow I am go and buy one so don't go to sleep.... ;)

Can't you wait a few days ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What will happen after few days? Winter will arrive or ac price will drop? I'm thinking that ac price will go up after, 1st July

Sent from my JY-G2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[quote=", post:3, topic:19624"]

What will happen after few days? Winter will arrive or ac price will drop?
I’m thinking that ac price will go up after, 1st July

Sent from my JY-G2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[/quote]

We will have a fierce fight between this brands supporters and that brands fans.
I think he can get a better idea before 1st July.

Do check out 3D swing feature, some models don’t have that
@farhan_ds

[quote=“yousaf465, post:4, topic:19624”]

We will have a fierce fight between this brands supporters and that brands fans. I think he can get a better idea before 1st July. Do check out 3D swing feature, some models don't have that @farhan_ds Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

[/quote]

Suggest me what should I go for cause its getting unbearable now beside how am I gonna explain my dad when he asks "whom you're asking on the internet, and why are these internet people taking too long to tell you" ?

You guys can continue cock fighting... I will keep adding petrol ;):D

[quote=“Faisal, post:5, topic:19624”]

We will have a fierce fight between this brands supporters and that brands fans. I think he can get a better idea before 1st July. Do check out 3D swing feature, some models don’t have that @farhan_ds Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Suggest me what should I go for cause its getting unbearable now beside how am I gonna explain my dad when he asks “whom you’re asking on the internet, and why are these internet people taking too long to tell you” ?

You guys can continue cock fighting… I will keep adding petrol ;):D

[/quote]when I had face that situation I bought Mitsubushi heavy jet flow.
This particular model doesn’t have 3D swing.
So do check it.

What you guys are bunch of sarros now just because I am buying new AC and you aren't? nobody has given me any suggestion yet apart from yousaf. Come on guys don't feel sorry for yourself & advice me :D

I do have a Mitsubushi electric 1.5 Ton for sale.
Was used for just 1 season, owners went abroad.

Just take clamp meter(to measure current) with you when shopping .

^ how much?

If money's not the issue, then chup chaap go and buy yourself a Mr. Slim. Enough said.

Maylsiyan made Hitachi or mitsubishi Mr slim, nothing else

While buying an AC make sure seller has provided you 5 years of compressor warranty

[quote=“jDk, post:10, topic:19624”]

If money's not the issue, then chup chaap go and buy yourself a Mr. Slim. Enough said.

[/quote]

Money ain't an issue but this thing as know, can't be used throughout the year.... wasiay I was planing to save 20k for UPS (haier + UPS) .... Mr.slim will eat everything you know ... :wacko:

[quote="armada, post:11, topic:19624"]

Maylsiyan made Hitachi or mitsubishi Mr slim, nothing else While buying an AC make sure seller has provided you 5 years of compressor warranty

[/quote]

I will have to check for that, but I thing dealers are providing only 3 years compressor & 1 years parts guarantee for every brand now days .... should that be okay for every brand?

Dude, you can save for the UPS later. Point is, why compromise on the AC, especially when it's going to be useful to your for many years to come. My Mr. Slim is on its 7th year now, and still cools our TV lounge like a #$%^%$# boss B)

In international market 5 years of warranty for compressor comes as standard, Providing less than it is against consumer rights

[quote=“yousaf465, post:4, topic:19624”]

We will have a fierce fight between this brands supporters and that brands fans. I think he can get a better idea before 1st July. Do check out 3D swing feature, some models don't have that @farhan_ds Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

[/quote]

WTF? why am i tagged for no reason? :blink: :blink: :blink:

[quote="Faisal, post:5, topic:19624"]

Suggest me what should I go for cause its getting unbearable now beside how am I gonna explain my dad when he asks "whom you're asking on the internet, and why are these internet people taking too long to tell you" ?

You guys can continue cock fighting... I will keep adding petrol ;):D

[/quote]

[quote="Faisal, post:7, topic:19624"]

What you guys are bunch of sarros now just because I am buying new AC and you aren't? nobody has given me any suggestion yet apart from yousaf. Come on guys don't feel sorry for yourself & advice me :D

[/quote]

Oh you piece of..^%#%$#$%3 i hate you soo much...

[quote="jDk, post:10, topic:19624"]

[/quote]

+10

@ topic..

as suggested above by jdk in his second post, a durable AC is a much more solid investment and saving than a UPS.. because your ups will get minor problems here and now, and you will nee dto change batteries once or after 2 years depeding on the quality of UPS..

BUT

no matter how good a ups you buy, it wont run your AC with your house.. it will only run your fans and at max, your room cooler, (desi).. so you will NEED Ac more than anything else..

if you can afford, i second JDK.. heavy duty mr. slim is the best ac in market.. for further technical details you can PM nvd650 cz he is the broker (aka punjabi translation ) :P of electronic items, he has his own shop in his city, and shopkeeper knows best about warranty and durability, even if they donot know about tech specs, which probably u dont care as well, cz you after all need cooling , not an instruction manual ...

Slim heavy runs cooler, on lower voltage as well, and consumes a bit less.. not much significant savings, but cooling and low voltage will ensure you get cool breezes no matter ...

but ofcourse there is a huge cost involved as well..

in local of all people i know, they are most happy with the cooling of Gree.. the thailand version, with shiny translucent black grill..and it seems to have been running fine for 3-4 years for them.. our own mom room mr. slim has been runing for over 8 years, the earliest model.. still cools at 170V..

of course Panasonic and general are japanese brands and nothing beats japanese in terms of quality and durability, but they might be waay out of your buget, ..general is one of the oldest companies in cooling bussiness.. so they know their sheit... but @72000, you could buy 2 other brand AC..

samsung has the coolest cooling air breeze, just stand in front of it and your balls will freeze...but no idea of durability as i dont know anyone using it..i just tested them in showroom to check difference between Art cool and samsung

as for ART cool... a big helll nooo.... they are just too ridiculously expensive ..unacceptable..

My 2 Yens....!!!

Before you make up your mind, do take a look at these three threads on Pakwheels. They have a ton of information (especially when it comes to the crucial part of installing the unit) and people sharing their experiences with different brands.

As far as I can conclude from there: Mitsubishi (Slim and Heavy Industries), Gree and Ascon are rated high both in cooling and power consumption. You will also have to keep in mind the cost of the copper pipe that will be required. I got a bit stung in this regard, as the installer only reduced about 30rs per feet (320/feet) and the total cost for installation came to 7300.

Based on my recent experience, I can give a few tidbits:

• It is crucial for the longevity and efficiency of your compressor that the copper pipes are purged properly before refrigerant gas is allowed to flow in them. As per our ustaad/shaagrid culture and customers' wish of saving on the low-cost expenses, there is no concept of using a vacuum to purge the lines in Pakistan. If you are able to find an installer which does have a vacuum pump, then great; otherwise, there are a few alternative solutions posted in the threads I mentioned above (borrowing one from car A/C mechanic, making one from an old refrigerator compressor etc). However, you will need to talk to the dealer you are purchasing it from about it as well, because apparently the warranty is given by the installer sent by the AC brand (at least that is how things are with Samsung)
  • Take a look at the minimum clearance requirements listed in the "Installation manual" and tell the installer where you want the units fixed according to that.
  • Most, if not all, outdoor units will come with rubber brackets. Make sure the installer used them as they will help reduce the vibrations and noise.
  • Make sure the power socket you will be connecting your ac with is of high quality. The normal chinese-fitting stuff is pretty bad. You can get 40A Pakistani made power sockets for less than 200. They are locally known as patthar wale.
  • After a bit frankness and established "trust" with the guy who was installing, he said that they usually hide the power cable that comes with the outdoor unit for connection with the indoor unit, and charge the customer extra for that. Be on the lookout for that as well.
  • The installation guys nowadays use a single insulation foam to cover both pipes, which is not the preferred way. As that insulation is pretty cheap, you should ask him to use separate insulation for the high and low pipes.
  • If your area has ever gotten abnormally high or low voltage and you can spare about 900-1000, you can buy the Dolphin AC protector or something similar that cuts off power to AC in such scenario. (Over Under voltage relay is pretty expensive but can be used for the whole house, but I couldn't find single phase ones)

And yes, the price of Samsung 1.5 ton (AS18UG) was 46k at Samsung F-7 as well. Compare the prices and their quoted installation charges before you make your decision.

For anyone else wondering what is the power consumption of 1ton Samsung split, I measured it 2 times when the AC had been running for about 15 minutes, and it was 6.6-6.7A. Running current as listed on outdoor unit is 6A (at 220-240v) and maximum 7.5A. I am pretty sure that some blame for the higher current goes on the left air and moisture in the pipes, some of it could be due to the input volt of 220 (I am using a stabilizer) which is the lower limit of their listed range. I have yet to measure the air temperatures and their difference.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:15, topic:19624”]

We will have a fierce fight between this brands supporters and that brands fans. I think he can get a better idea before 1st July. Do check out 3D swing feature, some models don’t have that @farhan_ds Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

WTF? why am i tagged for no reason? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Suggest me what should I go for cause its getting unbearable now beside how am I gonna explain my dad when he asks “whom you’re asking on the internet, and why are these internet people taking too long to tell you” ?

You guys can continue cock fighting… I will keep adding petrol ;):D

What you guys are bunch of sarros now just because I am buying new AC and you aren’t? nobody has given me any suggestion yet apart from yousaf. Come on guys don’t feel sorry for yourself & advice me :D

Oh you piece of…^%#%$#$%3 i hate you soo much…

If money’s not the issue, then chup chaap go and buy yourself a Mr. Slim. Enough said.

+10

@ topic…

as suggested above by jdk in his second post, a durable AC is a much more solid investment and saving than a UPS… because your ups will get minor problems here and now, and you will nee dto change batteries once or after 2 years depeding on the quality of UPS…

BUT

no matter how good a ups you buy, it wont run your AC with your house… it will only run your fans and at max, your room cooler, (desi)… so you will NEED Ac more than anything else…

if you can afford, i second JDK… heavy duty mr. slim is the best ac in market… for further technical details you can PM nvd650 cz he is the broker (aka punjabi translation ) :P of electronic items, he has his own shop in his city, and shopkeeper knows best about warranty and durability, even if they donot know about tech specs, which probably u dont care as well, cz you after all need cooling , not an instruction manual …

Slim heavy runs cooler, on lower voltage as well, and consumes a bit less… not much significant savings, but cooling and low voltage will ensure you get cool breezes no matter …

but ofcourse there is a huge cost involved as well…

in local of all people i know, they are most happy with the cooling of Gree… the thailand version, with shiny translucent black grill…and it seems to have been running fine for 3-4 years for them… our own mom room mr. slim has been runing for over 8 years, the earliest model… still cools at 170V…

of course Panasonic and general are japanese brands and nothing beats japanese in terms of quality and durability, but they might be waay out of your buget, …general is one of the oldest companies in cooling bussiness… so they know their sheit… but @72000, you could buy 2 other brand AC…

samsung has the coolest cooling air breeze, just stand in front of it and your balls will freeze…but no idea of durability as i dont know anyone using it…i just tested them in showroom to check difference between Art cool and samsung

as for ART cool… a big helll nooo… they are just too ridiculously expensive …unacceptable…

My 2 Yens…!!!

[/quote]:plong reply that why

my vote is for "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries", current consumption is comparatively less and cooling + air throw is good.
a lot of people have good views for GREE also.
Not sure but they say General is coming with piston compressor; which I guess will be strong on cooling but a bit heavy on electric consumption.
Whichever maker you choose, tell the guy you buy from that you want your air conditioner "installed" and NOT "hanged!"
One of the reason that good old window air conditioner worked for years n years was that there refrigeration(gas) circuit was factory sealed and there was almost no inculsion of moisture or air. Moisture and air are enemy to a.c. compressor.
Buy as fast as you want, get it installed slowly. Read the installation manual yourself, pay the installer; try to get it as much by the manual as possible.

The suggestions by Asad are very good, try to follow them all.

go for general ac its usa brand and excellent i guaranteed

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:15, topic:19624”]

Oh you piece of..^%#%$#$%3 i hate you soo much...

[/quote]

Yesss!!! Cherry popped! new achievement unlocked! :P:D

[quote="farhan_ds, post:15, topic:19624"]

@ topic..

as suggested above by jdk in his second post, a durable AC is a much more solid investment and saving than a UPS.. because your ups will get minor problems here and now, and you will nee dto change batteries once or after 2 years depeding on the quality of UPS..

BUT

no matter how good a ups you buy, it wont run your AC with your house.. it will only run your fans and at max, your room cooler, (desi).. so you will NEED Ac more than anything else..

if you can afford, i second JDK.. heavy duty mr. slim is the best ac in market.. for further technical details you can PM nvd650 cz he is the broker (aka punjabi translation ) :P of electronic items, he has his own shop in his city, and shopkeeper knows best about warranty and durability, even if they donot know about tech specs, which probably u dont care as well, cz you after all need cooling , not an instruction manual ...

Slim heavy runs cooler, on lower voltage as well, and consumes a bit less.. not much significant savings, but cooling and low voltage will ensure you get cool breezes no matter ...

but ofcourse there is a huge cost involved as well..

in local of all people i know, they are most happy with the cooling of Gree.. the thailand version, with shiny translucent black grill..and it seems to have been running fine for 3-4 years for them.. our own mom room mr. slim has been runing for over 8 years, the earliest model.. still cools at 170V..

of course Panasonic and general are japanese brands and nothing beats japanese in terms of quality and durability, but they might be waay out of your buget, ..general is one of the oldest companies in cooling bussiness.. so they know their sheit... but @72000, you could buy 2 other brand AC..

samsung has the coolest cooling air breeze, just stand in front of it and your balls will freeze...but no idea of durability as i dont know anyone using it..i just tested them in showroom to check difference between Art cool and samsung

as for ART cool... a big helll nooo.... they are just too ridiculously expensive ..unacceptable..

My 2 Yens....!!!

[/quote]

I will buy a UPS for my PC one way or another, I was merely thinking of saving some part of the money for it which obviously will not be available if I go Mitsu electric or heavy duty (which obviously, is the only choice considering the replies from you guys) and my UPS plan will be further delayed. But that was just a thought until my last reply but now I am seriously thinking about it because of the rains which happened last night and made the weather very pleasant and I think the rainy season is gonna continue or at least I hope.

But lets see, Ramzan is also upon us and there's also a news of having less loadsheding in ramzan + monsoon season .... I might go for Mitsu anyway while delaying my UPS.

But if not then Haier, Samsung & Gree falls under same price range and there's no negative opinion about em in this thread or else where in the forum... so what would be your choice among them if these are your only choices keeping in mind what Asad Ahmed said which, to me, seems like as if he wants to say that proper Installation of an AC can make best out of (probably) any AC?

and if possible, when you reply next time please mention the model number & country of manufacturing as well of you suggestion local/chines made brand, cause when went to the market asking price the sales person on two shop told me that Samsung AC are chines, being assembled in PK & Gree is flat chines made. I am assuming Haier is entire PK?