Buying a desktop, need advice

A buddy of mine is buying a new computer with the budget of 25k-30k. I gave him these specs (prices from Galaxy Computers):

Intel E6500 2.93GHz (2MB Cache – 1333 MHz FSB) = Rs.6750

ASUS (INTEL) P5G41T-M LX = Rs.5000

Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz= Rs.4400

Seagate 250GB = Rs.3650

ASUS or Samsung DVDRW drive = Rs.2200

CoolerMaster casing with 420W power supply = Rs.4400

Total = Rs.26,400 (I want to keep some room because shopkeepers here overcharge)

Should I change something? I'm not so sure about the motherboard.

And who has the most durable/reliable DVDRW drive? I prefer ASUS.

Thats a perfect combination. Go for it.

You can add an additional 2GB ram, if you get spare money after buying all these things.

I have only doubt, Does this motherboard has PCIe slot 1.1 or 2?

^Thanks. 2GB RAM should be more than enough for him, if he needs more, he can buy it later as it'll only get cheaper with time.

As for the motherboard, I checked here and it has PCIe 1.1. Should I tell him to go for some other motherboard?

nope! its ok. buy it. I was just asking.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

A buddy of mine is buying a new computer with the budget of 25k-30k. I gave him these specs (prices from Galaxy Computers):

Intel E6500 2.93GHz (2MB Cache – 1333 MHz FSB) = Rs.6750

ASUS (INTEL) P5G41T-M LX = Rs.5000

Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz= Rs.4400

Seagate 250GB = Rs.3650

ASUS or Samsung DVDRW drive = Rs.2200

CoolerMaster casing with 420W power supply = Rs.4400

Total = Rs.26,400 (I want to keep some room because shopkeepers here overcharge)

Should I change something? I’m not so sure about the motherboard.

And who has the most durable/reliable DVDRW drive? I prefer ASUS.

[/quote]

I suggest that you go with a motherboard that supports ddr2 ram instead. Asus P5QPL-AM for instance. Also drop the expensive casing. Instead buy a 500gb hdd, an additional 2gb RAM module (total 4gb) and a chinese casing/psu.

Never ever go for Chinese PSU when you are spending 30THOUSAND rupees!

?اتنے پیسے خرچ کرکے بھی چوٌلیاں مارنی ہیں

Never ever go for Chinese PSU when you are spending 30THOUSAND rupees!

?اتنے پیسے خرچ کرکے بھی چوٌلیاں مارنی ہیں

[/quote]

30k is nothing for a computer. 9/10 computers in Pakistan use a chinese casing and psu.

^ and most of them get affected by electricity problems when having such bad psu's. i used same cheap psu's before but then i got my pc screwed up cause of a high voltage. i bought a cooler master psu for it which was worth some 2500 r.s but its was a piece of mind. many people underestimate the importance of a stable and quality psu.

so my advice is to buy a cheap casing and get it a gud PSU. also i would suggest to buy new pc for new age as buying a dual core cpu is damn old. Y not buy something in core i3? it might be a few thousand r.s more but its at least better for longer run. and lastly y dont he order it from galaxy if its expensive at where ever he is buying from. also check out this shop too for pricing and ordering items.

@rokra: My friend will mostly use it for web browsing. Even I advised him to go for 500GB HDD as the price difference is only Rs.600 between the two, but he said 250GB is more than enough for him. I'll try to tell him that again.

As for the RAM, I doubt he'll need that much, because he's gonna use it for very basic tasks, like web browsing or listening to music or document editing. Though I think I'll be able to squeeze in another gigabyte if it's really needed (Windows 7 will be installed). RAM is the easiest part to upgrade so he can upgrade it later when needed and it will also be cheaper by then.

I don't want to him to go for a Chinese PSU because when he gets this PC, he's gonna use it for a while and he usually leaves his PC running for long periods at a time. Stability/durability matters more to him than performance.

I want to make the computer future-proof, in the sense that it might require minor upgrades later on, but it should run as long as possible without upgrading the computer as a whole.

@mianmars: I checked out czone and the estimate from them comes to around 26,700 for the same components. Galaxy Computers is in Lahore, we are in Multan and the prices here are a bit higher as compared to Galaxy, maybe it's due to lack of competition, maybe it's because of transportation costs. Anyhow, buying it from Galaxy is unlikely.

As for Core i3, it's a better choice but I don't think it'll fit in the budget. I'm gonna try and find out more, maybe I can find a 2nd hand processor/mobo deal, would that be a good idea as I've read they don't really degrade with time/use?

@rokra: My friend will mostly use it for web browsing. Even I advised him to go for 500GB HDD as the price difference is only Rs.600 between the two, but he said 250GB is more than enough for him. I’ll try to tell him that again.

As for the RAM, I doubt he’ll need that much, because he’s gonna use it for very basic tasks, like web browsing or listening to music or document editing. Though I think I’ll be able to squeeze in another gigabyte if it’s really needed (Windows 7 will be installed). RAM is the easiest part to upgrade so he can upgrade it later when needed and it will also be cheaper by then.

I don’t want to him to go for a Chinese PSU because when he gets this PC, he’s gonna use it for a while and he usually leaves his PC running for long periods at a time. Stability/durability matters more to him than performance.

I want to make the computer future-proof, in the sense that it might require minor upgrades later on, but it should run as long as possible without upgrading the computer as a whole.

[/quote]

A few years down the road you will find that you run out of RAM and hard disk space much sooner than CPU power. So, for a general use computer that has to be future proofed, RAM and HDD space is more important.

You may think that 2GB RAM is enough but are you aware that firefox alone uses 512mb when you have a lot of tabs open? A few years down the road that memory footprint will only increase.

HDD speed is also something you have to consider. It doesn’t help your computer’s performance if the fastest component, which is the CPU, is wasting time waiting for the slowest part, which is the HDD, to deliver it data to be processed. A larger HDD will deliver better speeds because of higher aerial density. So that is another reason why you should go with the 500GB hdd. But it is best to see the benchmarks before you decide:

http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd_list.php

Now as far as RAM is concerned its ok if you don’t buy 4gb now. You can buy another stick of 2GB RAM later although its possible that DDR2 prices will rise. Go with DDR2 because DDR3 delivers no benefit when paired with a core2duo. DDR2 is also cheaper. The only reason to go with DDR3 is if you don’t plan to upgrade within 2 years. 2 years from now 4GB DDR3 RAM modules will be common place and you can just jump to 6GB total.

@mianmars: I checked out czone and the estimate from them comes to around 26,700 for the same components.

As for Core i3, it’s a better choice but I don’t think it’ll fit in the budget. I’m gonna try and find out more, maybe I can find a 2nd hand processor/mobo deal, would that be a good idea as I’ve read they don’t really degrade with time/use?

[/quote]

I agree core i3 is not a good choice. It will cost a lot more:

CPU +4000

MOBO +3000

Also both LGA1156 and lga 775 are dead end platforms with no future. Intel’s next gen platform “sandy bridge” will use a new socket. So only reason to go with lga1156 is for core i5 750.

^Thanks for the info.

So, is it a good decision to buy a Core i3 + mobo package second hand if I can find it?

As I said I don't believe a core i3 based system is worth the money regardless of whether you buy it used or new. Only go for lga1156 if you want to buy core i5 750.

lga1156 is like pentium d. A stop gap platform until intel gets sandy bridge out the door. lga 1156 will be obsolete by 2011.

So what did ya decide on ?